Financing braces during medical school? Or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherrylizard

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I've been accepted to medical school for the fall. I had a consult with an orthodontist while my previous job's dental plan was still active. I have severe crowding and an overbite and the orthodontist wants to do braces for a predicted 24 months. However, I have since left the job to get married, go on my honeymoon, move, and take some time off before school starts. I've found that finding a dental plan that covers adult orthodontics has proven very difficult, and even then there is generally a 12-month waiting period, and I may need to change providers to someone in their network

Anyone have any advice/experience with this? I was hoping to get it over with before residency interviews etc, but I'm not even sure if it's feasible to make monthly payments for the braces while I'm in school unless I have someone else help out. My in-laws may help me out with monthly payments, as my own parents are not active in my life, but I want to weigh my options before asking them for help. Any input is appreciated!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.