Financing Pharm school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superman22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does working for a pharmacy as a tech or other pharm type position help in securing some money from that retail or pharmacy company one works at to use towards paying for pharm school?

Members don't see this ad.

jalba22 said:
Does working for a pharmacy as a tech or other pharm type position help in securing some money from that retail or pharmacy company one works at to use towards paying for pharm school?

I'm assuming you're referring to paying for pharm school while in pharm school:
Once you get into pharm school, you'll get your pharm intern license. As a pharm intern, you get paid approx. $15/hour (varies though) for working retail. So depending on how many hours you work, you can get some of your extra expenses out of the way but I doubt you can pay for the entire tuition from working. Well, at least in my case I can't since I owe the school about 35K a year (not including housing, etc). That's where the loans come into the pic... :D

Actually it sounds like you're talking about programs through your company. Many companies do have "grants" for you to go to school and the amount varies from company to company. Usually it comes with a string attached; one year of service for each year they pay toward your tuition. If you do not sign with the company for that time after you graduate then that "grant." becomes a loan, at a higher interest rate then you'd be paying your Stafford's. Read the fine print.

Members don't see this ad :)
off2skl said:
Actually it sounds like you're talking about programs through your company. Many companies do have "grants" for you to go to school and the amount varies from company to company. Usually it comes with a string attached; one year of service for each year they pay toward your tuition. If you do not sign with the company for that time after you graduate then that "grant." becomes a loan, at a higher interest rate then you'd be paying your Stafford's. Read the fine print.

oops..yah you're right. I thought the question was weird at first. But now I get it. To reemphasize/add-on to what you said, read the fine print veryy carefully and be aware that the company usually chooses where to place you and the pay. So, if you don't mind moving to a new place, etc it could be worth it. :luck:

rxgal8 said:
I'm assuming you're referring to paying for pharm school while in pharm school:
Once you get into pharm school, you'll get your pharm intern license. As a pharm intern, you get paid approx. $15/hour (varies though) for working retail. So depending on how many hours you work, you can get some of your extra expenses out of the way but I doubt you can pay for the entire tuition from working. Well, at least in my case I can't since I owe the school about 35K a year (not including housing, etc). That's where the loans come into the pic... :D

I know that CVS Pharmacy has a grant like program if you are employed there.

Requirements:
You must be an employee.
You must apply (basic stuff plus and essay).
Work 500 hours a year (equivalent to a full time summer) each year that you want the grant.

Pros:
$5000 for each year that you apply/are granted the award

Cons (for some people):
For every year that you get the grant you are required to work for CVS for that number of years after graduating.

example:
4 years of grant ($20,000) = obligated to 4 years of CVS after you graduate

and if you dont fufill your obligation, you must repay.