Financing postbacc/masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quhgj57

Reaction score
Hi! I am a recent college grad and I want to apply to medical school but my gpa was not very strong in undergrad. My advisor very casually mentioned to just apply to another program like a postbacc or masters, but I really can not afford another program right now. I started working a job after graduation but I'm still unsure if I can finance a whole other program, even at community college. My advisor says that because this is the only weak portion of my application, that is literally the only thing that I could address to make myself a stronger applicant. Is it true that working in a clinic or lab (where I can get paid) will not strengthen my application as much as being in a postbacc program? If so, does anyone have advice on how to navigate this as a low income student? I was lucky to make it through college without loans and I know I will have to take them out for med school, so I'm really trying to avoid taking more out now. Any advice? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If your GPA is weak, you need to show that you have the academic chops to do well in a challenging academic program. Working is a lab does not show that you have the study skills needed to do well in the classroom and the first two years of medical school are mostly classroom.

A SMP is a last ditch effort to show that you can succeed academically in medical school. In essence, you borrow and end up paying for 5 years of med school rather than 4. An alternative would be to take a MS in something bio related (biotech, biochem, biophysics, etc). Again, it would mean 5 years of tuition rather than 4.

You might take a look at academic programs that will provide you with marketable skills if being admitted to medical school doesn't work out. While the SMP is a good way into medical school (if you do well) there isn't a huge market for those who take a SMP in Anatomy and do poorly.

If your GPA is weak, you need to show that you have the academic chops to do well in a challenging academic program. Working is a lab does not show that you have the study skills needed to do well in the classroom and the first two years of medical school are mostly classroom.

A SMP is a last ditch effort to show that you can succeed academically in medical school. In essence, you borrow and end up paying for 5 years of med school rather than 4. An alternative would be to take a MS in something bio related (biotech, biochem, biophysics, etc). Again, it would mean 5 years of tuition rather than 4.

You might take a look at academic programs that will provide you with marketable skills if being admitted to medical school doesn't work out. While the SMP is a good way into medical school (if you do well) there isn't a huge market for those who take a SMP in Anatomy and do poorly.

@LizzyM I'm considering SMP/MS programs as a plan B for quite some time and was wondering if computational biology or clinical informatics would be a good MS to pursue or if its useless as an alternative to an SMP?

I have a really strong interest in ML/NLP as it pertains to healthcare and am working on some open source projects that I will be releasing in a few months.

I really want to marry the two in my career as a physician but dont want to pursue formal training if it wont boost my chances for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM I'm considering SMP/MS programs as a plan B for quite some time and was wondering if computational biology or clinical informatics would be a good MS to pursue or if its useless as an alternative to an SMP?

I have a really strong interest in ML/NLP as it pertains to healthcare and am working on some open source projects that I will be releasing in a few months.

I really want to marry the two in my career as a physician but dont want to pursue formal training if it wont boost my chances for medical school.
If you never get into medical school, what would you like to do? If a masters degree would position you well for that alternate career, then a masters degree might be a good idea. If it helps prove your academic chops and helps you get into med school eventually, well, that's just gravy.

You do have to recognize that if you are a marginal applicant in terms of academics, you may not rise to the top 40% (where you need to be to get admission) even after two or three attempts. Do keep in mind that you may be going pro in something other than medicine.

If you never get into medical school, what would you like to do? If a masters degree would position you well for that alternate career, then a masters degree might be a good idea. If it helps prove your academic chops and helps you get into med school eventually, well, that's just gravy.

You do have to recognize that if you are a marginal applicant in terms of academics, you may not rise to the top 40% (where you need to be to get admission) even after two or three attempts. Do keep in mind that you may be going pro in something other than medicine.

@LizzyM I feel im borderline for MD.

Youre right in terms of having an alternate career if medicine doesnt work.

As an adcom, if youd see my application across your desk, would my 3.5 cGPA (with W's and 1 F) be bolstered by having an MS in hand?

@LizzyM I feel im borderline for MD.

Youre right in terms of having an alternate career if medicine doesnt work.

As an adcom, if youd see my application across your desk, would my 3.5 cGPA (with W's and 1 F) be bolstered by having an MS in hand?

No it would not but I'm at a school where you need a 3.85 to get the time of day.

Reactions: 1 users