1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

financing pre-reqs

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by rnnpmaybe, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rnnpmaybe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, I don't have alot of extra cash lying around to pay for pre-reqs up front. Can one get federal aid if you're not degree-seeking? How about just taking one class per semester? thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shevy80

Pre-Medical
    if you already work in healthcare most places will pay for job-related courses

4. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

This isn't necessarily true, in many/most jobs, in which an employee plans to enter medical school. The employer will have very little chance of said employee returning as a physician in nearly a decade. Thus, they have no interest in paying for these courses.

That being said, there's always a slim chance, and it never hurts to ask. Perhaps if you're not quite sure about entering medicine at this point, you could convince your employer that these courses would made you a better [insert occupation here], and he/she might be more inclined to shell out some dough. :luck: :)

5. rnnpmaybe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the policy for most tuition reimbursement from employers is that it is related to your job and you have to work for them for a year after the final disbursement of funds. I don't think I could convince them that organic chemistry is related to my job as a charge nurse. :)

6. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Blasphemy! Drawing 2-methoxycyclodecanol is about the most important part of managing your patients! You'll only realize this after you finish ochem. :D