Finch vs Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tipukhan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a buddy who may be having to make this decision, so I just wanted to get some input from all the SNDers out there. Apparrently Finch has a 95% match rate for top 3 residency choices, whereas Albany has about 80%. considering the residency he is deliberating may be competitive, cosmetic surgery, what do you all think??

Members don't see this ad.

tipukhan said:
I've got a buddy who may be having to make this decision, so I just wanted to get some input from all the SNDers out there. Apparrently Finch has a 95% match rate for top 3 residency choices, whereas Albany has about 80%. considering the residency he is deliberating may be competitive, cosmetic surgery, what do you all think??

I should say right now that I don't know anything for sure, but I have a very hard time believing that Finch matches 95% of its students to top 3 choice, unless they are brainwashing people into only applying to family practice. just my opinion...

Anyway, without actually visiting either of the schools, I would choose albany, because North Chicago sucks, I grew up near there, and it is a pretty shi++y town.

Anytime you have to completely change the name of your school without the benefit of a large donation just becuase the reputation of "Finch" sucks so much you know you've got problems. Fincy sucks, north chicago sucks, although the city of Albany doesn't seem too appealing either. Finch is the worst private US allopathic school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cat Scratch said:
Anytime you have to completely change the name of your school without the benefit of a large donation just becuase the reputation of "Finch" sucks so much you know you've got problems. Fincy sucks, north chicago sucks, although the city of Albany doesn't seem too appealing either. Finch is the worst private US allopathic school!

Worst in what respects?

flighterdoc said:
Worst in what respects?

1: Poor reputation
2:It's expensive
3: North Chicago is boring
4: ABCD grading system
5: Half the freakin class is from California
6: Admissions people are incompetent - they lost my friend's LOR and application last year
7: That Masters/post-bac program of theirs is a joke and just a money making scheme.
8: I can go on and on

this top 3 stuff stems from where they got INTERVIEWS. so they might have applied to great programs that would have been in their dream top 3, but if those programs did not interview them, then they aren't part of top 3 consideration.

so that is why the rate is 95%.

Cat Scratch said:

Aaah.... another know-it-all, arrogant, obtuse pre-med :rolleyes:

idq1i said:
Aaah.... another know-it-all, arrogant, obtuse pre-med :rolleyes:

And you're so cool because you're a first year at a crappy school on par with Fincy. You're school is everybody's backup plan that's why they gotta accept over 800 people to get a class of 190.

idq1i - you just dinged my karma, i'm so hurt. I'll do just fine on my MCAT next year, but you need some help with step 1 next year.

Cat Scratch said:
idq1i - you just dinged my karma, i'm so hurt. I'll do just fine on my MCAT next year, but you need some help with step 1 next year.

Your karma? I would have taken you out of the green, my man. Shouldn't you be studying for genchem right about now?

Cat Scratch said:
Hi I'm new here. I was introduced to this site by a friend. I'm just a freshman in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
Your karma? I would have taken you out of the green, my man. Shouldn't you be studying for genchem right about now?

Well so it wasn't you that dinged my karma. That's nice.

But I still think Fincy sucks and I know I'll be a superior doctor compare to you. By the way I'm studying P-chem right now and not genchem. Shouldn't you be studying some human anatomy or physiology now?

idq1i - you got me. you looked me up and I'm really a freshman in college.

Cat Scratch said:
5: Half the freakin class is from California

aren't you from california???

Cat Scratch said:
I'll be a superior doctor compare to you.

I know I'd certainly want you for my doctor. You obviously have all the traits down just right. My only suggestion is that you arrogantly flame a few more people. Perhaps three? Perhaps four?

Cat scratch, i'm so disgusted with your posts. how can you insult finch like that when you've never even been to the school. i've been accepted to more than one medical school and guess what?!? finch is my first choice!!!! the facilities are great, the profs are great (lots graduated with MDs from 'top 20' schools like yale and harvard). The person who interviewed me graduated from finch in 91' and was offered residency in surgery at Harvard....

There are many students here who are going to finch or who are already in finch, its very mean of you to insult them and spawn negativity about a school you know nothing about.

The bottom line is you are a freshman, and know little about the different allopathic schools, you havn't interviewed anywere yet. Once you interview and get to know the school better THAN you can say something.... but until that time arrives stop spitting out garbage you're making yourself look stupid... and you never know someone could trace your IP number and find out exactly who you are.... maybe that someone could be an ADCOM ...

Seriously grow up dude

I second that! Ocean's right. What is that statistic again? How many people as premeds at the start of college actually end up going to med school?

As far as getting into a good residency program, I some 4th years I know that all went to "sub-top 50" schools have ended up in residencies like stanford-ortho and the single Neurosurgery spot at UCD. One went to a caribean school!

Hey, half of the class being from California is a GOOD THING! Westside!

UseUrHeadFred said:
I know I'd certainly want you for my doctor. You obviously have all the traits down just right. My only suggestion is that you arrogantly flame a few more people. Perhaps three? Perhaps four?

Yeah, sounds like a future general surgeon.

idq1i said:
I had soo much fun listening to my Cali classmates b1tch about the snow and ice this year :D

Well, you know, snow is something we drive for hours to see (and then go home and bbq a steak), and ice is what goes into the glass with the McCallans.

flighterdoc said:
Well, you know, snow is something we drive for hours to see (and then go home and bbq a steak), and ice is what goes into the glass with the McCallans.

Watching SoCal drivers drift helplessly in snow because they can't even drive on a dry road = :D

idq1i said:
Watching SoCal drivers drift helplessly in snow because they can't even drive on a dry road = :D

Are you kidding? SoCal drivers are the best drivers in the world - as long as the road is dry.

Here's what we think of the winter weather you poor folks put up with, and the damage my house had after a particularly bad rainstorm last year. I had to sell the house. Terrible shame.

RFUMS aka Finch, has great facilities! The newly rehabbed amatomy lab is outstanding...new everything...each tank is equipped with a computer to look up other anatomy websites and I think an online dissector, and 2 snake lights to light up the far recesses of your cadaver. Great ventilation as well.

The new education and evaluation center is top notch and the entrance resembles a doctors office. I think there are 21 or so new patient examining rooms fully equipped with all the instruments you need, 2 cameras to monitor and record you, a computer for the std. pt to evaluate you, sink, etc. Outside each room are laptops for the student to evaluate him/herself. Afterwards, you can go to the control room/area and watch yourself on any new computer and request a CD/DVD of your performance to watch at home. There are 2 conference/ classrooms in the control center with plasma TVs also where presentations will be given on what to expect.

The new Health Sciences building is of course only 2 years old. The student on-campus housing is convenient and has the option of renting your own washer/dryer for a nominal fee. If you decide to live there, internet access is included and you don't have to drive to school...parking can be quite tight if you don't get there early, although there is the north parking lot. Students are friendly and it's not just the med students...there are the podiatry students, PA students, PT students, Path assistant students, and graduate students, so there are many people to meet. The atmosphere is great although the city of North Chicago and Gurnee are not something to write home about. Students do match at great places...my friend (class of 98) matched at Northwestern for opthamology and doesn't regret at all going to Finch.

Education is what you make of it, what you put into it is what you get!
Just my $0.02

I'd choose Albany, but of course I am biased since they're the only school that accepted me. :D