Find Scribing But Avoid Major Scribe Companies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agirlwithdrdreams

Reaction score
I have always wanted to scribe, not only for the great addition to AMCAS but also because I think it will be interesting and a great opportunity to understand more of doctor's day-to-day. The problem that I've been finding is that the major scribe company in my state (ScribeAmerica) requires 2 years of part-time work. I am applying to medical school this summer, so I don't want to make that commitment and I'm not sure if I can do full-time with school. Also, their new scribe101 as well as the company in general has a little bit of a bad rep.

Now I know that scribing positions differ for every state and even city (I am from Minnesota). Can anyone give any advice about finding scribe positions without going through a major company, specifically with ScribeAmerica, or how other people get positions. Can you just call or email a clinic/hospital and ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The 2-year requirement is a sham. They hired me knowing that I could not commit longer than 1 year. I know many people that have done about 8-10 months too. The problem with scribing now is with covid cases rising yet again hospitals are pushing scribes to work from home as telescribes which is okay if it's temporary according to the posters in a thread I made a bit ago. Yes, they don't work well with your schedule and you might work some shifts that you don't want (never have they conflicted with my school schedule, but just done some late shifts not quite a night shift though).

I have read people could contact clinics directly and ask by demonstrating themselves as motivated individuals and they got the best of both worlds to work as a medical assistant and scribe -- but totally depends on state regulations and which places are kind enough to allow for that.

EDIT: That second option you will have to be very lucky I would say.

Reactions: 1 users
Most states are at-will employment, and you can quit any time you desire for any reason (same way they can fire you for any reason at any time).

Their "you must commit 2 years or there'll be consequencez!!11!" shtick is complete BS, and they will never be able to damage your application in any way just because you quit early (of course barring anything illegal/sketchy you do).

Get the hours you need and get out. These major employers will fire you without the blink of an eye if it suits them - don't feel the need to tiptoe around them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could look on Craigslist under healthcare jobs in your city- I scribed for a company for over a year, then found another scribe job on craigslist that paid way better in a private practice. Its costs money for companies to post on Indeed and other hiring sites, CL is free for posting so may have things that aren't on Indeed, etc. Then you can google the clinic or call to inquire- just to make sure it isn't sketchy.

I worked for Scribeamerica for 1 day after training, then COVID hit and my site temporarily closed, then I got accepted to med school and quit. I heard sometimes you can go on a hospital's website and directly look for scribe positions there? Didn't try it myself though.

Reactions: 1 user