finding a DO in my area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ockhamsRzr

in media res
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any national registry? I'd like to intern for one...I'm in Boston.

TIA,

Ock

Members don't see this ad.

You can look in the yellow pages...MDs and Dos usually advertise under Physicians.

ockhamsRzr said:
Any national registry? I'd like to intern for one...I'm in Boston.

TIA,

Ock

Hi! This is taken from the AACOM Web site, hope it helps!

Q: I would like to shadow an osteopathic physician. How do I find one in my area?

A: To locate an osteopathic physician near you, please visit the American Osteopathic Association's (AOA) Directory, http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm. A locality search will give you contact information, and in many cases link you to the website for your state osteopathic association. Your state association will be happy to assist you. Many of the state associations compile lists of their members who have indicated an interest in having prospective osteopathic medical students shadow them. If you do not have access to the internet, you may contact the AOA at: American Osteopathic Association
142 East Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611
(800) 621-1773
You may also want to contact the nearest college of osteopathic medicine for additional information. Contact information for each of the colleges of osteopathic medicine can be found on our website, http://www.aacom.org/colleges/.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also contact some D.O. schools and ask if they have an alumni list. I did this and found some that were from the schools I was interested in. This is a plus when it comes to LOR. An alumni LOR is almost always a good idea.

I actually did all of the above after my post and have just found a Boston-practicing FP and UNECOM alum...basically exactly what I was looking for...thanks again for all the replies. :)

Ock

Super! Good luck!

Thanks for asking this question ockhamsRzr. I was acutally wondering this myself. I am in the Kansas City area. I looked up some DO's in the yellow pages but I didn't know if I should just call out of the blue and ask or if there was another way around it. Did you just... call 'em up? :oops:

Call the University.. they have a list of allumia.. who agreed to be contacted.
That is the best.. but then the response may be biase... so you have to be gutsi..

You know what I did ... interesting story.. place foreign language accent here.

SInce up here in the great white north.. we have very few DO's. I went to an big cardiology conference.. north american one... and looked up the names of the participants.. then I scanned for DO after the name and found 2. Lucky me... so I called the hotel where the conference is being held.. and asked to speak to one of them.. but he was not staying there.. so I tried the next one.. and he was there.. and they transfered me... then I introduced myself -on the phone- and told him directly that I am applying and would like to ask him about the profession. He gladly agreed to meet with me for lunch and talk.

Talula21 said:
Did you just... call 'em up?

Hi Talula,

I'm writing him a letter with an intro: who I am, what I'm trying to do, what I can bring in term of skills (not medical ones obviously), and that basically I'd like to help out however I possibly can to get as educated as I can about Osteopathy and his career experiences.

I'll enclose my resume (I'm a 34 yr old non-trad so I had a previous career in technology), and the steps that I'm presently making toward becoming a Doc (volunteering at Beth Israel, my post-bacc plans, etc).

Just as an aside, I was a bit suprised that in Boston, there were only 11 DOs listed on the AOA registry...and this is a medical town!

Of course if he can't fit me in in any capacity, I'll offer to take him to lunch and just try and get as much knowledge as I can. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested.

Thanks everyone for the support, and DocBill...your strategy is right up my alley :D... Never, ever, ever give up :thumbup:

Ock

An alumni LOR is almost always a good idea.

Even better, check the list of professors and find an adjunct to shadow. Some may even be on the ADCOM. Depending on the school the list may be long. I found out that the DO I shadowed was an adjunct after I started shadowing him, in the end it made for a nice LOR.

Hey OckhamsRzr......thanks for the good ideas (once again). I have a good friend who is an MD that I am shadowing once a week for the next few months, but after that I would REALLY like to shadow a DO, since that is where my heart truly is. Definitely keep me posted on how it goes for you finding a doc. :) t21

Good luck finding one in North Carolina to shadow. There's VERY few DO's down here - there are 2 listed in my phonebook. I called them both and neither one will let me shadow. So I called the vice-president of the state osteopathic association - won't let me shadow. So I called the president of the state osteopathic association - won't let me shadow (he even made me send in a resume and a letter to his secretary stating my reasons for why I wanted to talk with him). I swear osteopathic schools are really limiting themselves with their candidates by requiring a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician. It wouldn't be so bad if DO's were required , or even encouraged to let prospective applicants shadow them. But, because they are not, none of them want to take on the burden of letting a prospective student - who wants to follow in their footsteps - follow them around for a couple days. Very uncooperative people and not encouraging at all to someone who wants to become a DO.