1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Finding a job after residency in a competitive city

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Ologist, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Ologist

Ologist Member
    5+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into how difficult it might be for me to find a job, say, in los angeles after i finish my residency.

I'm a competitive DO that will most likely match somewhere in the country (at least i hope so!). I'm concerned that after i finish my residency in that far off state, i won't be able to get back to LA at all because all the groups won't even consider me cause i'm a DO. I"m not sure if i want to settle down anywhere else in the country besides So Cal. If i was somewhat confident that going back to LA would be possible (even a not so desirable job, like working for Kaiser or something), then i could rest easier at night.

Doing the anesthesia route would mean a possiblity of never being able to go back to los angeles again. Or i could pick a less desirable field like internal medicine and go back to LA and stay there forever.

Anybody have any thoughts for me? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ripped cheese

ripped cheese Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

let me say that there are very few DO residents in the LA area for anesthesiology. i will be heading to one of the programs next year (i'm not a DO), and i only know of 1 DO student that is entering in 2007. and during my interviews, i only met 1 DO student at the 5 programs i interviewed at. so, good luck, but chances are not good. i'm guessing anesthesiology will be just as or even more competitive this year than last.

as far as job opportunities, i know that socal is extremely competitive where connections are important (such as doing residency here, having a PD that knows or actively sends docs to the area). but i can't say for sure so others will have to comment on that.

4. TabesDorsalis

TabesDorsalis Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

There is a huge shortage of Anesthesiologsts around the US. You can get a job in LA (or close to it) but it won't pay nearly as high as some job in Smallville, B.F.E. Call some Physician Recruiters and ask around. They will talk to you... trust me.

5. Laryngospasm

Laryngospasm Trench Dog
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The job market changes yearly, difficult to predict what it will be like in 2012. Likely there will still be many jobs, but people who are counting on making 400k(that will be less with inflation, and salaries are unlikely to go up) in a "cool" city without working 70 hours a week are going to be dissapointed. Likely those sought after jobs will have longer partnership tracks no sign on etc. Many are around 180-200k the first few years.

P.S.- recruiters take any sign on bonus you might get ;)

6. TabesDorsalis

TabesDorsalis Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, call the recruiter to feel-out the market, but avoid using them if you can.

7. machika

machika New Member

May I ask what is wrong with Kaiser? I am not from the California area, but am looking to relocate there.

8. nimbus

nimbus Member
    10+ Year Member

Nothing. Guys I know who work there are happy. Good hours, good pension, mostly supervision. They have very low turnover.