Finding a job at a different state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gothamsfinest

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my last year of pharmacy school in Connecticut, however I want to move to the bay area. For past several months I have been working at an independent with no other work experience besides ippe/appe. I have a career fair coming up, but don't know how I would go about looking for a job in the bay area.

Members don't see this ad.

It's challenging but can be done. You aren't going to be taken seriously as a candidate until you are licensed in that state.

What type of job are you looking for? If it's retail, I really don't see why anyone would bother interviewing a candidate from the other side of the country when there are plenty of people available locally. If it's for a more specialized hospital position and you have the right skill set, you may even get an all expenses paid trip to come interview.

Every pharmacist job I've landed was in a different state than the last. Here's how it went for me.. first job, I had moved to the state, obtained a local address, and my new license before I ever got called in to interview. My first job was in the same type of hospital that I did my internship in. I started applying for a new position after a few years, and had two opportunities. A Texas hospital flew me in to interview for a de-centralized clinical position in an area I had extensive experience in. That was a very pleasant experience, but they couldn't match my pay expectations for a big cross-country move. The second job was back in my home state doing clinical informatics. I had a small bit of experience doing optimization projects, but no real IT background. However, gaining extensive workflow knowledge made me an ideal candidate for this position. They didn't offer to fly me out or to pay for relocation, and I got the impression that they don't usually recruit from out of state.

Anyway, the point of that rambling paragraph was to show how you are more likely to get an out of state position if you make yourself someone worth bringing in. You've probably heard plenty of people say you need to "differentiate" yourself. Despite what your classmates may think, you don't do this by being a member of APhA and attending flu-shot clinics. You need to develop a particular skill set and find jobs that you seem tailored for. Assuming you are referring to the SF bay, your only chance will be to get a residency and cross those fingers.

Reactions: 1 users
I prefer retail, but I'm open to hospital if the opportunity arises. Yes, I am referring to SF bay. Particularly the silicon valley/san jose area. Will chain stores look down upon/care about working at an independent. Can @confettiflyer give some advice? I think he's from the Bay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer retail, but I'm open to hospital if the opportunity arises. Yes, I am referring to SF bay. Particularly the silicon valley/san jose area. Will chain stores look down upon/care about working at an independent. Can @confettiflyer give some advice? I think he's from the Bay.

Yup I'm out here. I don't know much about the hiring proclivities of the retail chains, but I do know that having a license in hand vs. not really makes the biggest difference on whether a hiring manager will spend/waste time even talking to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup I'm out here. I don't know much about the hiring proclivities of the retail chains, but I do know that having a license in hand vs. not really makes the biggest difference on whether a hiring manager will spend/waste time even talking to you.

Would having an intern license in whatever state(s) you want to work in be any help? I'm a P4 in a similar situation, going to PharmD School in the south, but plan to move to the mid-west afterwards.

The biggest obstacle is the CPJE test. More than 50% of people coming from out of state fail it. Also, keep in mind that the process to get licensed in CA takes 4 months at the very least. One slight mis-step and you are looking at a 6 month process.

What about having the California license but currently living out of state? Do the employers take you seriously if you don't currently live in California yet? I just became licensed in California but am obviously not going to quit my current job and move there without a job lined up.

Would having an intern license in whatever state(s) you want to work in be any help? I'm a P4 in a similar situation, going to PharmD School in the south, but plan to move to the mid-west afterwards.
No. You need to already have a license in that state and a local address. Why is a district manager or store manager going to waste their time with a candidate that doesn't even have their crap together when there are already hundreds of local candidates to choose from?

What about having the California license but currently living out of state? Do the employers take you seriously if you don't currently live in California yet? I just became licensed in California but am obviously not going to quit my current job and move there without a job lined up.
Just get a PO box with a local address and buy a local phone number.

You can get a local Google voice number that forwards to your cellphone.

But it would be pretty obvious if that manager calls you and you can't make up a lie fast enough about how you can't come in for an interview in a few days time.

Reactions: 1 user
But it would be pretty obvious if that manager calls you and you can't make up a lie fast enough about how you can't come in for an interview in a few days time.
Just say you're out of town for a funeral!