Finding a job in a particular metro area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkingSkin18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current PGY-3, probably doing gen derm and interested in one particular fairly large non-coastal metro area. Not opposed to academics but will ideally join a multi-specialty group or existing practice.

Is there anything I should be doing now to help my chances of landing a job there? One issue is that I have not trained in this area and have no professional connections. I do have some family in the area who aren't in medicine.

Might be jumping the gun a bit, just thought I'd ask the question since I have heard the job market may be a little tighter than in the past for new grads due to Covid. FWIW, I've seen 6-7 gen derm openings posted in this area, 4 of which are non-PE and 2 of which I am particularly interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact them. A lot of times you need to just google all of the practices in the area and call them. Ask to speak to the office manager and see if they’re hiring. A lot of practices are interested in hiring but not advertising. Just be ready to face a lot of rejection and don’t take it personally

Reactions: 1 users
Current PGY-3, probably doing gen derm and interested in one particular fairly large non-coastal metro area. Not opposed to academics but will ideally join a multi-specialty group or existing practice.

Is there anything I should be doing now to help my chances of landing a job there? One issue is that I have not trained in this area and have no professional connections. I do have some family in the area who aren't in medicine.

Might be jumping the gun a bit, just thought I'd ask the question since I have heard the job market may be a little tighter than in the past for new grads due to Covid. FWIW, I've seen 6-7 gen derm openings posted in this area, 4 of which are non-PE and 2 of which I am particularly interested in.

what area are you looking at? Have connections across the country- if you PM me, happy to share if it’s the city you are interested in.