Pursuing fellowship AFTER starting a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedSurvivor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

For family reasons, I'd like to pursue a dermatology fellowship in my hometown, which is in a costal area saturated with dermatologists. I am applying to fellowship, but this seems largely connection-based, and I am doing my derm residency in a different part of the country and have been unable to rotate in person due to covid restrictions.

Given personal family issues, I do not have the liberty to match in any location, and prioritize geographic area over matching. Therefore, if things don't work out with the match, how feasible is it to accept a job in my hometown, then try to apply to fellowship again once I establish connections there?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fairly common -- maybe not the most common route, but definitely not unheard of. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

For family reasons, I'd like to pursue a dermatology fellowship in my hometown, which is in a costal area saturated with dermatologists. I am applying to fellowship, but this seems largely connection-based, and I am doing my derm residency in a different part of the country and have been unable to rotate in person due to covid restrictions.

Given personal family issues, I do not have the liberty to match in any location, and prioritize geographic area over matching. Therefore, if things don't work out with the match, how feasible is it to accept a job in my hometown, then try to apply to fellowship again once I establish connections there?

Thanks in advance!
What is the fellowship? Mohs?

Yes, Mohs or Laser!
Mohs Fellowship is 1-year. Many Mohs programs (especially in large cities) specifically don't want to train individuals who intend to practice in that region (as these markets are already saturated and it's not their goal to "train their competition"). Mohs fellowships are competitive (e.g. need mentorship and publications) and I would suggest applying to fellowship broadly - you should have support of the Mohs physicians from your home program and use their mentorship / connections to help get interviews. Otherwise, I think if you apply only in one geographic area without a lot of pubs/mentorship support- you'd have to be comfortable with the prospect that you may not match.

Cosmetic fellowships are a bit different (most not specifically accredited, more flexible, less competitive), so I would decide on which path you want to pursue before pursuing it.

Reactions: 1 user