Finding a new associate job while applying for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beingaunicorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma that I'd like some advice on from practicing dentists or GPs who decided to specialize. I'm 2 years out of dental school. I lost my associate job due to the pandemic, but it wasn't confirmed until recently, so I thought I was going to return to my previous job. Also, I'm currently applying for specialty residency for the 2021 cycle. Right now, the market for jobs in my area isn't so great, and I'm nervous that the longer time passes, the worse it looks for me from a hiring employer's perspective. I'm also looking for an interim sort of job since I want to do residency, and relocation may be difficult for me until my current apartment lease ends in late August.

So, any perspective or advice on what I can do between now and residency in terms of career prospects? Do you think a residency will look down on me having such a large gap of unemployment? Obviously the reason is due to the pandemic, but it's a tough job market out there and I'm just nervous that I won't find anything soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Locum tenens may be a good option. I think most residency programs will understand job shortages / gaps in employment given the circumstances (the PASS application has a "how did COVID19 affect you section" anyway). In my experience, medicaid heavy corporate practices are hiring and you should consider non-profits/community health centers. They may have less binding contracts (some just require a couple months notice before your end date). If you're flexible with what kind of practice you are willing to work at, I'm sure you'll find something soon. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much about the gap of unemployment. The past few months have been crazy and things have changed day to day for pretty much all of us. Despite what it might look like on paper, sometimes these things are just out of your hands.. especially in a competitive market. You might want to check your lease closely; I've heard of several others being able to break their lease based on the pandemic. I do not think a residency will look down on you (or care at all) that you have a gap of unemployment and would guess that an employer won't either.

I agree with the previous poster.. I think working in a community health setting or nonprofit would be a great idea, but really it just depends what you're looking for. Who knows what will happen with the residency application cycle. Until you're in, remember that there's always the chance that you don't match and in that case, you don't want to be in a job or place that you're absolutely miserable in- find something that works for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the gap of unemployment. The past few months have been crazy and things have changed day to day for pretty much all of us. Despite what it might look like on paper, sometimes these things are just out of your hands.. especially in a competitive market. You might want to check your lease closely; I've heard of several others being able to break their lease based on the pandemic. I do not think a residency will look down on you (or care at all) that you have a gap of unemployment and would guess that an employer won't either.

I agree with the previous poster.. I think working in a community health setting or nonprofit would be a great idea, but really it just depends what you're looking for. Who knows what will happen with the residency application cycle. Until you're in, remember that there's always the chance that you don't match and in that case, you don't want to be in a job or place that you're absolutely miserable in- find something that works for you.

Thanks for the encouragement. I know things have changed so much in dentistry in a span of a few months, and I'm sure residencies and employers alike will be understanding. It's just my anxiety getting to me, hah.

I've applied to a community health center and am waiting to hear back. I also have some potential job prospects coming up, I just have to be patient. I'm also looking into locum tenens positions.

Locum tenens may be a good option. I think most residency programs will understand job shortages / gaps in employment given the circumstances (the PASS application has a "how did COVID19 affect you section" anyway). In my experience, medicaid heavy corporate practices are hiring and you should consider non-profits/community health centers. They may have less binding contracts (some just require a couple months notice before your end date). If you're flexible with what kind of practice you are willing to work at, I'm sure you'll find something soon. Good luck!

Yep, I've been looking into some locum tenens positions. I've applied to a community health center and may have some other job prospects coming up. It's just a waiting game. At least I have all the time to work on my residency application right now!