Finding a physician to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marina227227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I go about finding a physician to shadow in Staten Island, NY? Do I literally have to go through a listing and call up individual doctors asking for their interest? This seems... a little iffy....

Members don't see this ad.

How do I go about finding a physician to shadow in Staten Island, NY? Do I literally have to go through a listing and call up individual doctors asking for their interest? This seems... a little iffy....

Calling up randomly doesn't seem to work well. Most shadowing happens through connections. If you don't have any connections, considering contacting area doctors who went to your undergrad. The alum connection is a good tool in itself.

At my church (where I work), I meet a lot of physicians, so I guess I'm stalking them from now on, so I can ask if I can shadow them or not..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if all else fails you can always injure yourself... a blown out knee got me seeing all kinds of cool stuff like total hip replacements

Start with physicians you've gone to before and sent letters. I'm a big fan of stroking their egos a bit by mentioning a unique characteristic you saw in their care and how much you appreciate them as practitioners. Then break into what you want to do and ask if you can speak with them. If the interview goes well I'd come out and ask if you could shadow them for a bit, and most likely you'll get a yes.

If you haven't seen a physician in your area yet, call around asking to interview the physicians. Then take it from there