Finding a research mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Subthermal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to find a research mentor with a well funded lab. I was wondering if there is any sort of national database that you can look up investigators that have NIH grants (e.g. RO1 grants) at your institution? Or if there is anyway to find out which faculty members at one's institution are well funded?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking to find a research mentor with a well funded lab. I was wondering if there is any sort of national database that you can look up investigators that have NIH grants (e.g. RO1 grants) at your institution? Or if there is anyway to find out which faculty members at one's institution are well funded?

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm

to narrow it down, look by organization (aka your school) or look by city. You might try look back one or two fiscal years, too, as it won't list PIs who previous had a grant but expired before this fiscal cycle.

cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm

to narrow it down, look by organization (aka your school) or look by city. You might try look back one or two fiscal years, too, as it won't list PIs who previous had a grant but expired before this fiscal cycle.

cheers

Thanks, this is perfect! I found a couple interesting projects nearby. I'm crossing my fingers for an opportunity as a medical student from a different institution! I hope it's not too big of a hurdle.

Thanks, this is perfect! I found a couple interesting projects nearby. I'm crossing my fingers for an opportunity as a medical student from a different institution! I hope it's not too big of a hurdle.

Good luck! It happens all the time, especially in places like Boston and NYC where the institutions are so close together.

Don't give up if you don't hear back after the first few emails, just keeping spamming people and eventually you'll get lucky.

Solid link guys. Already have a research project but going throug it and looking up my PI haha.

Anyways, a few questions (which were not googleable within 2-3 mins). What is the difference between R01 vs U19 vs P01 grants?

Good luck! It happens all the time, especially in places like Boston and NYC where the institutions are so close together.

Don't give up if you don't hear back after the first few emails, just keeping spamming people and eventually you'll get lucky.

Thanks! I spent an hour last night drafting an email to the PI and director of the Center. I have no idea what to say! I tried to keep it short and to the point with a little info on my research interests and background. I don't want to sound like a pushy asshat, just looking for a good learning experience and a chance to get a few more publications under my belt in the process. :cool:

Solid link guys. Already have a research project but going throug it and looking up my PI haha.

Anyways, a few questions (which were not googleable within 2-3 mins). What is the difference between R01 vs U19 vs P01 grants?

Have you taken a look at this? http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/funding_program.htm

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

I think this is right.

R is a basic or translational research grant.
U is a training grant for fellows or residents.
P is a clinical trial grant.