Finding Clinical Research Assistant Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onb2014

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there who has done a clinical research gap year--how did you find your job? Seems like there are oodles of jobs on the various hospital websites, but applying online seems to be like throwing resumes at a shredder. Any tips for navigating the search process?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone out there who has done a clinical research gap year--how did you find your job? Seems like there are oodles of jobs on the various hospital websites, but applying online seems to be like throwing resumes at a shredder. Any tips for navigating the search process?

I used job search websites (Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.) for both of my research jobs. It's just a matter of being diligent with searching everyday.

applying online is exactly like throwing resumes at a shredder. this is a long, hard, process. if you want to be a CRA, and you know what a CRA does, then you should know most want experience. There are exceptions with on the job training. The most proactive and effective way would be to find an ad, call HR, tell them you just submitted a resume and you were wondering about the job, marketing yourself and your ability to learn fast, and asking them if you can learn on the job.

again, very few people take entry level CRAs. you would have to start out as a clinical research coordinator most likely.

lag year jobs = dead end jobs. tricky system.

monster and career builder are slow. dont give up on them. most people that are graduating get jobs through networking (number is around 70% for those who ACTUALLY get jobs - that doesn't mean 70% get immediately employeed). From the rest, craigslist is still their best resource for finding immediate placement. Some academic centers do post ads frequently on craigslist, esp Harvard/MGH/Partners, etc.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Some academic centers do post ads frequently on craigslist, esp Harvard/MGH/Partners, etc.

Yea, I've seen a lot of lower level lab jobs on craigslist... I know my lab posts jobs there. But I also live in Boston where there are tons of hospitals/med schools/pharma companies. Still, may be a good place to look.

craigslist is a good tool because they will probably respond ASAP. Recruitment season for most pharma's and firms are over so uploading CVs online will not get you a response soon enough. That gets a bit depressing.

Temp agencies are also a good solution.

craigslist is a good tool because they will probably respond ASAP. Recruitment season for most pharma's and firms are over so uploading CVs online will not get you a response soon enough. That gets a bit depressing.

Temp agencies are also a good solution.

pardon the stupidity of this question, but will temp agencies offer FT gap-year jobs, or will they just offer PT temporary jobs?

The Dermatology Department at the Stanford School of Medicine is currently seeking applicants for a Clinical Research Assistant position, for a Phase I study of a gene transfer procedure for a rare genetic skin disease.

To apply, please visit: http://jobs.stanford.edu. The job ID is 34272.

If you want to know more, feel free to PM me.

pardon the stupidity of this question, but will temp agencies offer FT gap-year jobs, or will they just offer PT temporary jobs?

Usually PT temporary jobs that may lead to FT jobs, depending on your performance and the company's need.

I am enrolled in a postbacc program at a major university, and every week the program forwards us listings for research jobs that have been posted by nearby hospitals and clinics. Often these listings specifically say "ideal position for postbacc student," indicating that the employer is expecting mostly students to apply for the job. You have to read the.job descriptions carefully, and expect to be in competition with other applicants even for a volunteer job, but there are some pretty decent positions listed from time to time. I got a good volunteer slot myself this way.

If you're not a postbacc, try your school's premed office--they might maintain similar job listings.

I didn't even think of trying Craigslist or monster.com, but I'd imagine there would be a lot more competition there from people who want permanent or long-term jobs.

I got 2 of my research jobs (one's clinical, one wasn't) through (different) university's careers website.

You have to write a real cover letter tailored to the specific job. That's the key. Make it sound like the job posting is what you've been waiting for. Fill out all of the information available.

Then rinse and repeat. Most people apply to >20 jobs (at least) before getting one they're happy with.