Need advice: Remote Job + Part-Time Clinical RA OR Full-Time Clinical RA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which option would you choose?

• Option 1

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

parksandrec

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm stuck between two options right now and would greatly appreciate your insights and advice on a decision I need to make.

- Option 1: I have the opportunity for a remote job (related to COVID) and a part-time role as a clinical research assistant from the university I graduated from. I plan to use the downtime during the remote job (which I know there will be plenty of) to study to retake the MCAT. This gives me a chance to study for the MCAT more flexibly while earning clinical hours.

- Option 2: The other option is a full-time position as a clinical research assistant for the hospital I'm currently working at. While this would be more demanding, it would allow me to accumulate more patient hours.

I currently have ~1800 clinical hours, which includes paid experience and volunteering.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on which option you would lean towards and why. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an expert by any means but this looks like an easy option 1 to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an expert by any means but this looks like an easy option 1 to me.
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I was gonna with option 1 initially, but I got the offer for option 2 yesterday and got dazed by the options. Thanks again!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you need the money, I'm honestly not even sure why you're doing the CRA job at all.

With 1800 clinical hours, your only priority needs to be improving on the MCAT.

Unless you need the money, I'm honestly not even sure why you're doing the CRA job at all.

With 1800 clinical hours, your only priority needs to be improving on the MCAT.
IIRC, OP had previously posted asking for advice and was told to gain at least 200 clinical volunteering hours. The experts who replied may have accidentally skimmed over the year and a half of being a patient observer, or perhaps there's a different issue with that.

@parksandrec you might want to reconfirm if that get-more-clinical advice is relevant to your application. It seems like your time might be better spent elsewhere (nonclinical volunteering and shadowing come to mind). Good luck (and great username--- that's why I connected you to your first post to begin with :lol:)!