Finding doctors to shadow is so hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iClearDiamond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to find a doctor to shadow? WHY? They should be HAPPY that someone wants to shadow them and know what it feels like to be doctor. I have called like 10 hospitals and clinics in my area and e-mailed a ton of doctors... Each hospital I call they keep on transferring from one person to another. Ok so I asked my doctor if I could shadow him and he told me that he doesn't allow pre-med students to shadow him only med students... Like JESUS CHRIST I really want to be a doctor but this is really crazy. When I become a doctor, I would love for people to shadow me... I really don't want to give up. Ughh... I am just fed up with all of this non sense. Sorry for my rant, but I am just tired of these Human Resources / Administrative whatever at hospitals that keep on transferring me to voice mails and different departments for no reason...
GOD HELP ME!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your professors and advisors at your college and ask if they are in connection with anyone you can shadow. If this fails, go to your school administrative office and ask for a list of alumni. Search for alum who are doctors. Always reach out to the people you know first ie: friends/friend's parents, ALL doctors you may know (derm, optho, peds, etc.), professors, advisors, career center coordinators. Then reach out to people who you have some indirect connection to (school, job, etc). If you want connections you have to search for them in many cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Why is it so hard to find a doctor to shadow? WHY? They should be HAPPY that someone wants to shadow them and know what it feels like to be doctor. I have called like 10 hospitals and clinics in my area and e-mailed a ton of doctors... Each hospital I call they keep on transferring from one person to another. Ok so I asked my doctor if I could shadow him and he told me that he doesn't allow pre-med students to shadow him only med students... Like JESUS CHRIST I really want to be a doctor but this is really crazy. When I become a doctor, I would love for people to shadow me... I really don't want to give up. Ughh... I am just fed up with all of this non sense. Sorry for my rant, but I am just tired of these Human Resources / Administrative whatever at hospitals that keep on transferring me to voice mails and different departments for no reason...
GOD HELP ME!!!

Happy? Some maybe. Definitely not most. There's a lot of paperwork to go through usually and even then, you're still a liability. They don't benefit anything from letting you shadow them. It's like a homeless person saying that people should be HAPPY that they're begging from them because it means they are identified as people with money and status.

Have you tried your family's own PCP? Or a family friend?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the physicians in my area absolutely hated their jobs so they did not accept pre-meds or medical students for shadowing. I was able to shadow two physicians, but it is hard to find a doctor to shadow. I don't have any connections due to lack of family....but definitely utilize any family/friends/personal contacts if you can!

I guess it varies by area. I'm interested in oncology so I was looking into shadowing this well-known oncologist in my city that had donated a lot of money to kids taking the AP tests in my high school. I just contacted his assistant and his assistant set me up with shadowing him. I also know of multiple other doctors that I could have shadowed had I had the time. Keep trying I'm sure on will turn out good for you

Try asking your fellow pre-med friends for the name/contact info of physicians they've shadowed. Additionally, try calling smaller clinics instead of big hospitals, since these places have lots of paperwork and rules. Also try asking your pre-med advisor for any recommendations.

GOD HELP ME!!!

At my school, our pre-med organizations offer shadowing positions to members.

I know there's some debate on pre-med orgs, but seriously? 50 bucks a year, shadowing positions, interesting meetings, and like minded people? Worth it.

GOD HELP ME!!!

#1 Doctors are people. They run the entire spectrum just like any other job. Some are people people. Some are borderline psychopaths. Some are cynical. Some are eternal optimists. Some like educating. Some hate it. They have no obligation to you and the concept that "they should be happy that someone wants to shadow them" is logically unsound.
#2 It costs between $500 and $1500 for a typically pre-med to shadow a physician at the hospital that I work at. You have zero credentialing and there are far fewer undergrad to hospital connections compared to medical school to hospital connections. We are notoriously difficult to get shadowing spots with because of the bureaucratic/private nature of our hospital (despite us being a 1000+ bed academic hospital).
#3 Hospitals are bureaucratic. You are going to get tossed around on the phone. It happens all the time even to physicians. This is why your intern year, your best bet is to save as many cell phone numbers as you can and network like crazy. Charge nurses are your friend!
#4 A big part of finding a shadowing spot is about networking. Pre-med groups, family, PIs, professors etc. Some of it is out of your control (lack of family connections), but the reality is that only a minority of applicants have/use these.

Reactions: 2 users
Try shadowing a DO, especially those who use OMM (even if you're not interested) because they are usually passionate about keeping osteopathic medicine alive and maybe more likely to care about inspiring potential students

Maybe SDN needs a forum or tool of some sort to help shadowers find willing physicians. Now that the site has been around as long as it has, there are quite a few residents, fellows, & attendings who were once SDN pre-meds. Mods?

Reactions: 6 users
They should be HAPPY that someone wants to shadow them and know what it feels like to be doctor.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a self-entitled little brat and instead are just letting the frustration speak.

Try smaller places like single physician offices. When you shadow them, they can probably get you set up with radiologists, pathologists and other doctors they know. Welcome to the world of networking.

Go to private practices... less bureaucratic...

Type up a good resume and search on google maps for doctor... then go to every single one of their offices and drop off a resume and say what you want to do. My bet is at least 1/20 doctors will tell you to come back sign one simple HIPPA sheet and you'll be on your merry way.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't had difficulty finding doctors to shadow (currently I've contacted 8 doctors and 5 have allowed me to shadow), however many people at my university complain that they can't find a single doctor who will let them shadow. Wondering why this was, I asked several people how they were contacting doctors. Each said they were calling or emailing. Every time I've asked a doctor to let me shadow, I've put on a nice shirt and pair of slacks, walked into the office, and handed the receptionist a personalized typed letter explaining a little bit about myself (college I attend, intent to pursue medical school, reason I want to shadow that particular doctor) and a very brief resume. I've had several doctors comment that they appreciate that I took the time to type up a letter specific to their practice and explain why I was interested in shadowing them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a pre-med who wants a shadowing job.. but even I can see how annoying it would be to have an inexperienced college student on your hands.

I totally agree that finding a Doc to shadow if you have few connections is a HUGE challenge, considering it's almost a pre-req for admission.

Make sure to cover your bases...ask family, friends, etc. Best thing to do as others have mentioned is to call up smaller private practice offices and leave your info.

Best of luck.

Smaller clinics (like family clinics) are usually easier to shadow at because they aren't as stringent with security. Where I shadowed I simply asked the physician directly once he came out to speak with the secretary. I only had to sign a non-disclosure agreement to keep patient's info that I might learn a secret, but otherwise it was a 15 minute ordeal between leaving home, asking the secretary to speak to him, and waiting for him to show up.

Now, if you want to shadow a surgeon or so you might have a harder time. It will be easier however if you begin by first shadowing doctors working at small clinics whom you can later ask to refer you to a surgeon for you to get more exposure. Connections open lots of door that are initially closed, so don't give up!

If you volunteer at a hospital, utilize the volunteer coordinator. Facilities should be running a background check on you; the volunteer coordinator could point you in the right direction, and can confirm to any docs that you've been vetted.

Don't call or email, it's too easy to ignore you. If you dress business casual and walk into an office it's harder for the doc to turn you down

My undergrad had a class that matched us with physicians to shadow based on our interest. Now, I suspect the doc that let us shadow got a cut of the tuition money, so maybe suggest something like that to your university.

My undergrad had a class that matched us with physicians to shadow based on our interest. Now, I suspect the doc that let us shadow got a cut of the tuition money, so maybe suggest something like that to your university.

Also, try asking younger Docs most of them understand that shadowing is now a requirement for med school admissions, back in the day all you had to do to get into med school was make a 25 MCAT and have money to pay for it.

what a silly requirement. In the future, I'm gonna accept every shadow and sign and write a letter that they did 300 hours just so they don't gotta deal with this annoying crap :p the cardiologist i shadowed did not even know what shadowing was lol he just said sure and then i explained to him later that they want me doing this haha. He was only 35 and an MD from a US school. Shadowing is probably another "strongly recommended thing" added onto later generation students.

Adding sociology and psych to the MCAT 2015. God I feel lucky I barely made it past having to deal with that.

The checklist is growing people. Our children will be elites.

I'm having the same problem. I even considered asking my internist during my last physical if she'd let me shadow her but then I chickened out. Has anyone done this? Do you think they'd be receptive?

I'm hoping that once I start volunteering, I'll meet a nice doctor that would let me shadow them.

why dont you just find some at your local medical school? Thats what I did.

There are some programs like Academic Associates which have shadowing built in.

Don't call or email, it's too easy to ignore you. If you dress business casual and walk into an office it's harder for the doc to turn you down
I disagree because if you just randomly walk into a doc's office there's a .01% chance you will even see them, much less be able to talk to them. It will be leaving your name/info with the receptionist...same as on the phone.

I disagree because if you just randomly walk into a doc's office there's a .01% chance you will even see them, much less be able to talk to them. It will be leaving your name/info with the receptionist...same as on the phone.
Except that you'll have walked in, presented yourself to the receptionist (and if you did it correctly, had a short, pleasant conversation with him/her that will encourage them to present you in a kind light to the doctor in question), and shown that you care enough to take the time to at least write a short letter to the doctor.

Go to your professors and advisors at your college and ask if they are in connection with anyone you can shadow. If this fails, go to your school administrative office and ask for a list of alumni. Search for alum who are doctors. Always reach out to the people you know first ie: friends/friend's parents, ALL doctors you may know (derm, optho, peds, etc.), professors, advisors, career center coordinators. Then reach out to people who you have some indirect connection to (school, job, etc). If you want connections you have to search for them in many cases.

Thanks for your advice. I have asked friends and family and to no avail but I will go ask my advisor and professors. Searching for alums who are doctors is a great idea. Thanks alot!

Happy? Some maybe. Definitely not most. There's a lot of paperwork to go through usually and even then, you're still a liability. They don't benefit anything from letting you shadow them. It's like a homeless person saying that people should be HAPPY that they're begging from them because it means they are identified as people with money and status.

Have you tried your family's own PCP? Or a family friend?

Lol I understand what you mean. Yeah I have tried my family's PCP but he said he only allows med students to shadow him. I will ask my pre-med advisor for help.

A lot of the physicians in my area absolutely hated their jobs so they did not accept pre-meds or medical students for shadowing. I was able to shadow two physicians, but it is hard to find a doctor to shadow. I don't have any connections due to lack of family....but definitely utilize any family/friends/personal contacts if you can!

I feel like physicians in my area hate their job too! Yeah it's hard to find a doctor. I will surely utilize people. Thanks!

I guess it varies by area. I'm interested in oncology so I was looking into shadowing this well-known oncologist in my city that had donated a lot of money to kids taking the AP tests in my high school. I just contacted his assistant and his assistant set me up with shadowing him. I also know of multiple other doctors that I could have shadowed had I had the time. Keep trying I'm sure on will turn out good for you

Wow lucky you! And yes I will keep on trying. Thanks!

Try asking your fellow pre-med friends for the name/contact info of physicians they've shadowed. Additionally, try calling smaller clinics instead of big hospitals, since these places have lots of paperwork and rules. Also try asking your pre-med advisor for any recommendations.

My friends are having the same problem but I will definitely start trying smaller clinics. I would have loved to shadow in a hospital but I have no other choice now. I am going to ask my pre-med advisor. Thanks for the advice!

At my school, our pre-med organizations offer shadowing positions to members.

I know there's some debate on pre-med orgs, but seriously? 50 bucks a year, shadowing positions, interesting meetings, and like minded people? Worth it.

How I wish I go to your school! My school's premed organization is good at giving us medical school tours, lab tours and volunteer opportunities but when it comes to shadowing everyone needs to struggle and find their own way.

#1 Doctors are people. They run the entire spectrum just like any other job. Some are people people. Some are borderline psychopaths. Some are cynical. Some are eternal optimists. Some like educating. Some hate it. They have no obligation to you and the concept that "they should be happy that someone wants to shadow them" is logically unsound.
#2 It costs between $500 and $1500 for a typically pre-med to shadow a physician at the hospital that I work at. You have zero credentialing and there are far fewer undergrad to hospital connections compared to medical school to hospital connections. We are notoriously difficult to get shadowing spots with because of the bureaucratic/private nature of our hospital (despite us being a 1000+ bed academic hospital).
#3 Hospitals are bureaucratic. You are going to get tossed around on the phone. It happens all the time even to physicians. This is why your intern year, your best bet is to save as many cell phone numbers as you can and network like crazy. Charge nurses are your friend!
#4 A big part of finding a shadowing spot is about networking. Pre-med groups, family, PIs, professors etc. Some of it is out of your control (lack of family connections), but the reality is that only a minority of applicants have/use these.

I agree with you but it is ridiculous that you have to pay $500 - $1500 to shadow a doctor. Wow that's crazy!

Maybe SDN needs a forum or tool of some sort to help shadowers find willing physicians. Now that the site has been around as long as it has, there are quite a few residents, fellows, & attendings who were once SDN pre-meds. Mods?
Yes I concur!

Go to private practices... less bureaucratic...

Type up a good resume and search on google maps for doctor... then go to every single one of their offices and drop off a resume and say what you want to do. My bet is at least 1/20 doctors will tell you to come back sign one simple HIPPA sheet and you'll be on your merry way.

Ok I will take your advice. Thanks!

I haven't had difficulty finding doctors to shadow (currently I've contacted 8 doctors and 5 have allowed me to shadow), however many people at my university complain that they can't find a single doctor who will let them shadow. Wondering why this was, I asked several people how they were contacting doctors. Each said they were calling or emailing. Every time I've asked a doctor to let me shadow, I've put on a nice shirt and pair of slacks, walked into the office, and handed the receptionist a personalized typed letter explaining a little bit about myself (college I attend, intent to pursue medical school, reason I want to shadow that particular doctor) and a very brief resume. I've had several doctors comment that they appreciate that I took the time to type up a letter specific to their practice and explain why I was interested in shadowing them.

Hmm... I am going to try this out. Hopefully it will work for me. Thanks!

I totally agree that finding a Doc to shadow if you have few connections is a HUGE challenge, considering it's almost a pre-req for admission.

Make sure to cover your bases...ask family, friends, etc. Best thing to do as others have mentioned is to call up smaller private practice offices and leave your info.

Best of luck.

I am not calling them again... I am going to dress up and go up there with my resume and a letter.

Smaller clinics (like family clinics) are usually easier to shadow at because they aren't as stringent with security. Where I shadowed I simply asked the physician directly once he came out to speak with the secretary. I only had to sign a non-disclosure agreement to keep patient's info that I might learn a secret, but otherwise it was a 15 minute ordeal between leaving home, asking the secretary to speak to him, and waiting for him to show up.

Now, if you want to shadow a surgeon or so you might have a harder time. It will be easier however if you begin by first shadowing doctors working at small clinics whom you can later ask to refer you to a surgeon for you to get more exposure. Connections open lots of door that are initially closed, so don't give up!

That's very true. I am going to start with smaller clinics and get connections. Thanks!

If you volunteer at a hospital, utilize the volunteer coordinator. Facilities should be running a background check on you; the volunteer coordinator could point you in the right direction, and can confirm to any docs that you've been vetted.

Yes someone told me that works. I will try that out. Thanks!

That's a really good idea.

Last edited:
why dont you just find some at your local medical school? Thats what I did.
I live in Maryland. And it's hard it's to find a doctor at Johns Hopkins or UMSOM. They are still training medical students and residents.

Yeah. A lot of my shadowing experience only came easy because of connections. I have a lot of doctors in my family and they helped me find people to shadow.

Last edited:
Yeah. A lot of my shadowing experience only came easy because of connections. I have a lot of doctors in my family and they helped me find people to shadow.

Yeah connections is definitely the key. The doctors in my family are all working for pharmaceutical companies and live in different states so they can't really recommend anybody to me. So I need to make connections on my own

Yeah connections is definitely the key. The doctors in my family are all working for pharmaceutical companies and live in different states so they can't really recommend anybody to me. So I need to make connections on my own
Yeah, that kind of sucks. I was lucky, but I would recommend you to keep trying to find doctors ( persistence is key) or start if you haven't already. Good Luck.

Yeah, that kind of sucks. I was lucky, but I would recommend you to keep trying to find doctors ( persistence is key) or start if you haven't already. Good Luck.

Thanks alot! I will keep on trying. I won't give up.