Finding funding for post-doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HHenkell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in establishing funding for a post-doc at a site where I previously completed a practicum. Does anyone have experience with this process? Specifically, has anyone successfully applied for and received grants to fund their post-doc position? I am interested in focusing on neuropsychology during the post-doc. I would be interested in having a blend of clinical, research, and teaching as part of the position.

Some options I am looking into include:
Being added to an investigator's research grant or writing my own research grant, such as a National Research Service Award or a National Institutes of Health training grant.

Any advice, leads, or stories would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Heather

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in establishing funding for a post-doc at a site where I previously completed a practicum. Does anyone have experience with this process? Specifically, has anyone successfully applied for and received grants to fund their post-doc position? I am interested in focusing on neuropsychology during the post-doc. I would be interested in having a blend of clinical, research, and teaching as part of the position.

Some options I am looking into include:
Being added to an investigator's research grant or writing my own research grant, such as a National Research Service Award or a National Institutes of Health training grant.

Any advice, leads, or stories would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Heather

I recommend looking into the F series of NIH grants. But you need to have the site sponsor your application. Also, keep in mind it can take 9-12 months between submitting the grant, getting approval, and getting the actual funding. These typically need to be planned far enough in advance if you want to make it work right after you graduate.

"Training grants" (T series) can mean different things, but typically these are given to large research facilties that bring in lots of trainees. They are renewable and not specific to one applicant. The F series is probably what you are thinking of for yourself.