Finding Housing + Car in Far-away City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those matching interns who are moving to a city that is far away (ie-flying), how easy is it to find housing and to purchase a car?

Members don't see this ad.

Contact your program, have them put you in touch with a good real estate agent, if you're looking for a house. You may also want to ask for the emails of the graduating residents, they may be selling their homes.

If you are looking to rent a house/apartment again, a real estate agent will be able to help you, preferably one that has worked with residents. Knows a resident's budget and all that.

As for a car, I drove with most of my stuff. It can be expensive and stressful to find a car. I would recommend a cheap lease of a small dependable car (warranty) if that is possible for you.

If you are buying a car, look into whether it is better to buy where you are or where you are going.

Consider sales tax, amenities you will find in a used car/on the lot. Things like A/C, heated seats, antilock brakes, smog certification, etc, can vary by area of the country (and how old the car is.) Also, some areas of the country are just less expensive for cars than others - Detroit area is less expensive than my city.

That said, it is probably best to do what is easiest, and that might be leasing.

Has anyone had any experiences with carmax for used cars?

u can use one of those services where a person (apartment locator, etc) makes a list of places that are in the location u want and price range u like. then just visit the area b4 graduation, use apartment ratings online (with a grain of salt) and take a look to choose the best place. i also agree that residents can probably give u a good idea too because some places may appear nice but be in dangerous areas.

My dad has always said that you should live somewhere for at least 6 months before buying a house. Anyone just buy a place straight off?

What would you guys recommend as the best way to get money to start up the moving process? Should I just do it as one big loan with the house/mortgage, or should I also take the Residency Relocation Loan? Also, is there a way to buy a house with little downpayment? As someone who's just graduating from school, it's a little hard to scrounge up money, but I'd really prefer to buy a house as opposed to rent for a 6-year residency.

I feel so clueless as this will be the first time I've ever made such a major move. EVER! :scared: