hamiltonnyc

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2018
I've alternated between feeling excited and resilient to feeling overwhelmed and nervous in this journey, and wanted to focus more on the positives. What do you all rest on for inspiration and motivation?

I'll start:
1. That Nontrad ages thread. I'm in my late 20's, and it's awesome to see older people persevere.

2. Meeting lawyers and finance people in my program who are sacrificing otherwise lucrative careers to go into medicine.

3. That pleasant visit to the nurse the other day where she spent a good 5 minutes explaining to me why I didn't need and couldn't get a TB Test (convincing me to not spend money).

4. This comic strip that suggests starting from the beginning again is a good thing.

5. The clip from the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, where he writes advice to the daughter that he had to leave: "It's never too late, or too early, to be whoever you want to be."

Reactions: sman1200

I'mJustCurious

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2015
Library
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly, being in the hospital/clinic setting and serving my community is indeed my dream. There are days when I don't feel like doing much, but I think about my role models and their work ethic (ex: athletes, parents, etc.). Keep your head up and good luck!

Reactions: Shotapp

Myopicvisions

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
The sound of the Physician's voice telling me that my son had no pulse. He was 13. I had always wanted to be a doctor but being out of status, poor and a single mum was pulling me down. I knew at that point that I had to go back to school and start this crazy path. Then my other son was diagnosed with cancer and I said .. the universe is telling me something.
That's what keeps me centered.

About the Ads

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
The sound of the Physician's voice telling me that my son had no pulse. He was 13. I had always wanted to be a doctor but being out of status, poor and a single mum was pulling me down. I knew at that point that I had to go back to school and start this crazy path. Then my other son was diagnosed with cancer and I said .. the universe is telling me something.
That's what keeps me centered.
You are strong

Myopicvisions

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
OP - Why do you want to be a physician?
Im so sorry that this is late! I always wanted to be a doctor but when I was 19 got married to someone, changed faith and went to live in the middle east. When I was there I met women that were unable to see a doctor without a male's presence and as a result were dealing with completely preventable health issues. I saw the same thing in the US with those from the most vulnerable populations unable and unwilling to seek medical attention, (huge amount of mistrust towards the medical community from the very people that need health intervention))But I also saw how patient advocacy from physicans really helped to change some of the fears these communities had and I want to be part of that change as a physican.
I actually want to do a MD/MPH. I know that some feel this is defunct but I majored in Biochem; minored in Political Science and for me I think this is a combination that speaks to me. : )

About the Ads