Finding MCAT answers in the passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really true that most of the answers to questions on the science sections can be found in the passage on the real deal? I always hear this on SDN, but am having a hard time believing it. So many people say that content details are not that useful b/c the MCAT is about critical thinking and a basic grasp of the content is enough since the answers are in the passage. Can someone please elaborate on this?

Members don't see this ad.

It's true, but you can't see it unless you've eaten asparagus and cabbage the day before.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it really true that most of the answers to questions on the science sections can be found in the passage on the real deal? I always hear this on SDN, but am having a hard time believing it. So many people say that content details are not that useful b/c the MCAT is about critical thinking and a basic grasp of the content is enough since the answers are in the passage. Can someone please elaborate on this?
Perhaps the 'answers being in the passage' is referring to the importance of interpreting some scientific plots/graphs. There are a small handful of questions based on reading comprehension. Have you done AAMC and Kaplan practice tests? How I would analyze things is that AAMC and real test requires less memorization of facts, whereas if you take a kaplan test you will see that some questions require more background knowledge. With this comparison, the content knowledge of specific small details you may get when reviewing the kapln answers is not as important as the thought process behind reaching the AAMC answers. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For a serious response, yes, in many cases the correct answer is indeed "in the passage," in the sense that there are a good number of research study literacy, data comprehension questions on the MCAT. This is not to say, however, that those passages wouldn't be made much easier if you are unfamiliar with the topics that are tested in more explicit questions.

For example, a passage on neuron cell conduction speed could include a question on the distance an impulse will have traveled traveled through white matter in 10s where you simply need to read the passage that might state explicitly "myelinated neurons conduct impulses with an average velocity of 0.5m/s." To get this question correct, the answer is "in the passage" in the sense that you simply have to use the number they gave you and calculate distance traveled in 10s, but also you have to know that white matter is composed of myelinated neurons.

Hope this helps!

I really believe in this. While I did do cursory content review, I believe the greatest factor in my pretty good score was my ability to read and really strip a passage of its info (background: I read non-scientific articles/pieces a lot in leisure/daily life and read scientific literature with data pretty regularly for work). With that, I really do think a good way to indirectly prep for MCAT is to just read on the regular-it'll especially help with CARS :)