Finding Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverman23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. What is the best way to get involved in medically related research. I go to a small college so there are not many opportunities to get research. I live in the Boston area so there are plenty of Medical schools and facilities. Say i am interest in type 1 diabetes can i just look at med school websites and see who is currently do research in that field and simply ask them if they could use assistance? any sort of help is much appreciatated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. What is the best way to get involved in medically related research. I go to a small college so there are not many opportunities to get research. I live in the Boston area so there are plenty of Medical schools and facilities. Say i am interest in type 1 diabetes can i just look at med school websites and see who is currently do research in that field and simply ask them if they could use assistance? any sort of help is much appreciatated. thanks.

Have a look at the following thread...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=764269

And yep you should just email them, read a few of their papers and maybe include something in your email so that they know you have made an effort. Boston should be pretty easy to find something :)

from my experience, bio faculty at universities will only want to take on someone if they are going to contribute to science in the future (they're not as fond as pre meds who just want to stuff another goodie in their stocking). They definitely hate wasting their precious time on an unpromising candidate, so if you get an interview be humble and appear smart and I think you'll get whatever it is you're going for :D

not as sure about clinical though.

best of luck getting into a lab!