Fine without taking Genetics ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like everybody says make sure take Genetics before studying for the mcat. I really do not have a choice here, but I just wanted to know if it really is a big deal to take Genetics as a class before taking the MCAT or even Biochem for that matter.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like everybody says make sure take Genetics before studying for the mcat. I really do not have a choice here, but I just wanted to know if it really is a big deal to take Genetics as a class before taking the MCAT or even Biochem for that matter.

It's not a big deal, in my opinion. I don't know how it is at your school, but I think the main reason people emphasize it is that it involuntarily forces you to know the basics of DNA replication, translation, etc. Other than that, Genetics is basically just a detail intensive course (you'll learn about all the transcription factors, proteins involved in DNA replication that won't be tested on the MCAT). But it's an interesting class, so take it if you get a chance!

I got 12 BS without genetics and am figuring I'd have gotten 13-14 if I did. But mine was genetics heavy, so it hard to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, please forgive my dumb question, how far should we go for the topics in Genetics? Is it already okay in studying purely EK Bio, without other books supplement?

I didn't take genetics beforehand and I thought the genetics parts were easy. It's pretty much all logic and some basic calculations

I hate to be the one bringing bad news, but unless you're some critical thinking genius (like most of the guys on SDN seem to be), I wouldn't take that chance if you can help it. Take Genetics! It was heavy on my MCAT and I don't think I could have done well without the class. Besides, it will certainly be helpful in Med school, I couldn't have imagined Medical genetics would be so similar to upper level undergraduate genetics but it is.

PS: The MCAT forum is certainly my old stumping ground, it's great to be back :laugh:.

i personally think physiology is more helpful than genetics, and that the most helpful would be biochem.

my test was 4 genetics passage 1 bio chem 1 ochem 1 physio.. that was august 09 test.

So what kind of questions did the passages in genetics involved? What kind of information? Also, what kind of the physio info?

yea i would say take it if you can. if not oh well, just know you'll probably score a point or two lower vs. if you did take Genetics.

I sure wish I had taken it before I took the MCAT. I had 3 passages loaded with Genetics questions...i was pissed haha.:eek:

anyone have a opinion about examkrackers bio chapter 9, populations?

This is supposed to be the 'genetics' chapter of the book, but its a whopping five pages and not that much. Does this really seem to be all you need for genetics prep on the mcat? I thought EK was kind of short on this chapter, but don't know if its exactly what is needed for the exam.

I can already tell you dont know much about the MCAT... it is not a knowledge test... you just need to think.. just do some basic science courses(general bio) and you should be set... If it was a detailed knowledge science test, most non-science majors wouldnt be able to get a 20... You dont need any upper level bio classes to exceed. You are wasting valuable time memorizing specific data rather than actually studying the correct way for the exam.

-gargoula

when i took MCAT there was no genetics, but i thank genetic for every day for my step I score.... just think about it guys, if on my board exam there asking me about ADP-ribos and inhb. of translocation then for sure you need to know transcription and translation for MCAT.... HIV, Cancer, whats even more sad they been trying to teach us this electron transport chain that uses vit-b3 in complex II from high school.... thats money for MCAT and USMLE too

you don't need to take bio classes for the mcat. get a TPR book and study it well. that's all you will need.