Finish line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings SDN. It's been a while. I joined SDN in 2000, when I started medschool, and signed up for the old paltry monthly stipend HPSP for a 4 year scholarship, after having used ROTC for undergrad. My old posts should all still be around, and I'm sure if I went back and blew the dust off them it'd be a bit nostalgic. My last update was in 2019, a little over a year after leaving active duty.

to give a brief summary -- I did AD army residency, spent 4 years gen peds, during which I deployed a little over a year as a battalion surgeon. 95% boredom and 5% WTAF but those utilization points helped with getting fellowship. Fellowship 3 years, then spent another 4 AD, during which I spent 9 months rotting away in Kuwait. Prior to going I was told these could be split-- had a replacement figured out and everything but (shocking) this was rescinded by my department chief after spending a couple of months in country. Even so, as my wife (who was also AD peds specialist) and I neared the end of our ADSO, we said we'd stay if we could get a particular duty station. The answer was no, so we left. She had her terminal leave denied (same super awesome department chief denied it- naturally) and I learned from her mistake and my last 3 months active duty I had a lot of glorious 3 day workweeks. So if you're in that situation do not sell any leave or days-- get that leave to zero and plan accordingly that "terminal leave" is a privilege not a right.

Getting out I had 14 yrs AD, and my wife 12. We both knew of people in the IMA program who seemed to be doing ok, we gave that a go. She found a peds specialty (rare), I found a gen peds slot. Needless to say, the shenanigans continued, mostly due to Covid related issues and constant IMA coordinator/green suit turnover and no one knowing how to run the program. She did rotations that no one had record of. During covid everything was a mess with travel restrictions and even though she did her active duty time remotely the admin staff never submitted her for credit. I had a similar experience, going through 5 IMA coordinators from when I started to when I finished, with a year or so of no IMA coordinator during which no one knew what to do with me. We were told we could submit our IDT points to HRC, then told we couldn't, then told different things on what qualified and IDT points and what didn't. For sake of brevity, hers became so ridiculously jacked up she left, but I was able to stick it out long enough that combined with the 1 yr HPSP counting for 1 "good" year for every reserve year you complete I was able to recently finish off my 20 (HPSP will get to 21) to go into "retired awaiting pay" to hopefully start collecting when I'm 60.

I transferred to the IMA in 2018 with 14 years-- theoretically to get to 20 (the 3 years plus the 3 years HPSP credit) should have finished in 2021/22. Instead I finished this year, mostly thanks to *finally* having an IMA coordinator the last 2 years who actually knew how to do the job. One year I did an AT rotation and wasn't paid for it until a year later. I **** you not, lol. I have told the new guy how appreciative I am of him SIMPLY KNOWING HOW TO DO HIS JOB that he seems honestly confused.

At any rate, this should conclude the Army phase of my life. I could stay longer but given the political climate that extra few points a year just isn't worth it. I hate giving up my free pre-check but there are worse things in life to deal with.

Overall I think my path was right for me. We left at a good time, and feel we got our a decent amount of our pound of flesh (GI bill transferred to kids, PSLF for the both of us, now some nice retirement cheese) back from the military.

I could say more-- any may at some point, but if anyone wants to ask a salty boomer about any details feel free. I don't know the IMA program in and out, but generally IF you have someone running it who knows WTF they're doing it's not a bad gig. 2 weeks of active duty to remind you why you left 🙂

--your friendly neighborhood 20 year letter holding caveman
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to crossing the finish line. I'm at 19 currently waiting to get to 20 with a PAR in IPPSA to convert my 3rd of 4 HPSP years sitting there for 2 months now (and the minute/essential non-existent possibility I pickup O6 this summer via the board). The last mile is really stretching out for me.

I'd never heard the downside of IMA slots lot this, but also never had a remote chance of scoring one of the slots. I did APMC which comes with its own host of troubles, most currently the fact that I'm Schrodinger's anesthesiologist, both a member of APMC and not at the same time post mobilization. They keep asking me for credentials and other things which I submit, but tell me because of the mobilization I have to reapply to APMC and technically can work my prior contracts for points. Which is it? Why punish me for doing a mobilization voluntarily?

Anyways, congrats!
 
Congratulations! I retired this year. 26 years combined active/reserve, prior enlisted and HPSP credit. I also receive pay 18 months early due to the NDAA stipulations. It's been an interesting run and I met some really great people that I will stay friends with for the rest of my life.

Gray area retiree TRICARE is expensive though (relatively compared to active reserve) but having a pension and TRICARE for life will be a blessing.

I thought I would miss it though, I haven't. In fact it's a relief to be done.
 
Congrats and welcome to the (R)Club!

Finished the reserves almost three years ago with 22 total.

Wouldn't trade it for anything, but wouldn't recommend it (AD or HPSP) to anyone either (sadly).

For me, and hopefully for you, the bad memories slowly faded and the good ones got brighter.

Looking back, it was fun run and I'm grateful I was able to do it.
 
Congrats to crossing the finish line. I'm at 19 currently waiting to get to 20 with a PAR in IPPSA to convert my 3rd of 4 HPSP years sitting there for 2 months now (and the minute/essential non-existent possibility I pickup O6 this summer via the board). The last mile is really stretching out for me.

I'd never heard the downside of IMA slots lot this, but also never had a remote chance of scoring one of the slots. I did APMC which comes with its own host of troubles, most currently the fact that I'm Schrodinger's anesthesiologist, both a member of APMC and not at the same time post mobilization. They keep asking me for credentials and other things which I submit, but tell me because of the mobilization I have to reapply to APMC and technically can work my prior contracts for points. Which is it? Why punish me for doing a mobilization voluntarily?

Anyways, congrats!

9 years with APMC.
APMC kinda eminds me of Haley's comet. They get something right every 79 years.
 
Congrats to crossing the finish line. I'm at 19 currently waiting to get to 20 with a PAR in IPPSA to convert my 3rd of 4 HPSP years sitting there for 2 months now (and the minute/essential non-existent possibility I pickup O6 this summer via the board). The last mile is really stretching out for me.

I'd never heard the downside of IMA slots lot this, but also never had a remote chance of scoring one of the slots. I did APMC which comes with its own host of troubles, most currently the fact that I'm Schrodinger's anesthesiologist, both a member of APMC and not at the same time post mobilization. They keep asking me for credentials and other things which I submit, but tell me because of the mobilization I have to reapply to APMC and technically can work my prior contracts for points. Which is it? Why punish me for doing a mobilization voluntarily?

Anyways, congrats!
Ah glad to see I am not the only one who deals with the #$^ery that is APMC. Constant string of people never knowing how to do the job. Constantly feeling like a child of divorced parents constantly saying "go ask your mom (unit) and mom (unit) saying no that's your father's (APMC) responsibility in the divorce!".

I also enjoy that you can send an email with 3 simple bullet point questions. In 2 weeks they might answer you back with just one of those questions answered. I've started to feel like my training person at APMC is like a genie or some whacked out AI subscription where I get like 3 questions a year and then have to pay a subscription fee.

The only good things I can say about APMC are:
I got to choose my own adventure and I got to drill with some cool units (Air National Guard flights, Navy Reserve cruising on boats, Coast Guard (that was weird but cool getting to cruise the rivers), and other fun units where I met lots of interesting people

It made me a better officer because I had to seek out information constantly on my own and read policies, etc.. which made me a wealth of information for other soldiers.

A direct pipeline for schools from APMC to HRC vs. the constant wait of my packet sitting on someone's desk or inbox for months waiting to be sent up to the next level for approval for mil ed I am told I needed, but no one ever seems eager to actually register me for to further my career