Finish the PhD or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DegreeCollector

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not sure if anyone on this part of the board has been in the same situation, but I want to throw this out there as I'd like to hear any thoughts.

I am in a PhD program, but I am probably 2 years away if I am lucky. Medical school has been in the back of my mind for the last 8 years or so, and I even took the MCAT 5 years ago and sent in primary applications. Though I did quite well on the test, I decided not to return my secondaries because I didn't feel ready. However, the fact that this has been nagging at me for so long (amongst other reasons) has convinced me that it is the correct path, and I need to make it happen.

So, here's my question: Am I going to be looked down upon if I abandon the PhD (like I couldn't stick it out or whatever)? The fact is, while I do find the work interesting, I would like to be a clinician, and I see no point in delaying the inevitable. This kind of sucks, because I am going to have to tell my adviser that I don't want to finish the degree, but, "Hey, can you write me a recommendation and let me work in your lab for the next year anyways." I really don't think I can finish in 1 year or that would solve all the problems.
 
as an MD/PhD student, I just want to say that while you may think you are sure you want to be a clinician, don't count out the skills you learned as a PhD candidate. medical students will not have the same "scientist" mindset that you may find interesting. a great majority just want to memorize to ace the exam, not to actually "digest" the material. i feel like physicians cannot be that different. i suggest finishing the PhD in case you don't like the clinic. just my 2 cents.
 
Thanks for the input. I guess my feeling is that if I go through my rotations and then decide that I've made a big mistake, I'll go into pathology. I know of at least 2 MDs (no PhD) at the university I used to work who had basic science research labs on top of their clinical duties. Of course, they weren't seeing patients, but the MD was enough. Alternatively, I also have a masters degree in biostatistics (my PhD is in biochemical engineering/medical microbiology), so if only seeing patients is not enough for me, clinical research is not out of the question. However, I am planning to go all in. For me, I don't think it is a good idea to go into med school with the idea that I might not be a clinician.

At the point I'm at now, I am 2 years away if I am lucky, and I'm already no spring chicken. I am also too far along to go MSTP, I think, and I don't think I would make the grade for the medical school here anyways (I would be ecstatic, but also thoroughly amazed if I could swing this). Since I am going to have to go elsewhere for the MD, I am trying to decide if I should enter med school in 2009 or delay it where it could end up being 3 years if things go poorly in my research.

On the point of "digesting" information, it has been my experience that if one tries to really understand how all the pieces fit together, they come to a much better understanding of how something works as a whole versus just memorizing. I don't think that just because the medical students (and maybe other physicians) have resorted to strictly memorizing, that should impact my perspective and how I approach clinical duties. Furthermore, I know I would be one of these curious guys who would have a patient come in with some issue I couldn't figure out, and I would end up reading 10 academic papers trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. I think I would probably see enough of this to satisfy my curiosity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, here's my question: Am I going to be looked down upon if I abandon the PhD (like I couldn't stick it out or whatever)? The fact is, while I do find the work interesting, I would like to be a clinician, and I see no point in delaying the inevitable. This kind of sucks, because I am going to have to tell my adviser that I don't want to finish the degree, but, "Hey, can you write me a recommendation and let me work in your lab for the next year anyways." I really don't think I can finish in 1 year or that would solve all the problems.
I'm a PhD now in medical school. Basically, if you're done with quals, you should stick the PhD out. You need time to get your app in order anyway (i.e., finish any pre-reqs, study for and retake MCAT, get clinical and volunteering experience, line up other LORs), and you absolutely MUST get a strong LOR from your advisor. It's extremely short-sighted to burn this bridge over one year--nothing you do will make you 22 years old again anyway. Do talk to your PI though and tell him/her that you plan to go to med school after you finish your PhD.

Check out this sticky; it's a list of links to other threads like this. Best of luck to you.
 
Thanks so much for the sticky. That's awesome. I'll check out those threads.

I am supposed to take my quals next fall, but I have already made some headway into my research. If I could be guaranteed only one more year (after this next), then I would definitely stick it out. I think your best advice is just to talk to my PI and see what his thinking is. That's really going to dictate my path since you are absolutely correct that I need a good LOR from him. I definitely do not want to burn bridges.

I do need to retake the MCAT and get some additional clinical and volunteer experience, though. That's my mission for this summer.

...Now, I've got a gel to run.
 
Thanks so much for the sticky. That's awesome. I'll check out those threads.

I am supposed to take my quals next fall, but I have already made some headway into my research. If I could be guaranteed only one more year (after this next), then I would definitely stick it out. I think your best advice is just to talk to my PI and see what his thinking is. That's really going to dictate my path since you are absolutely correct that I need a good LOR from him. I definitely do not want to burn bridges.

I do need to retake the MCAT and get some additional clinical and volunteer experience, though. That's my mission for this summer.

...Now, I've got a gel to run.
Agree, you should definitely talk to your PI about this. Since you're not as far along as I had thought, one other option you might consider is to ask him if he'd be willing to let you go with an MS. That would be a nice middle ground in that he'd get to graduate you, and you'd do a thesis and hopefully get a paper or two. Also, that way you'd have a degree to show for yourself after all your hard work, and you should be able to finish in a year if you work hard. :luck: to you; I hope it works out. 🙂
 
Since you're not as far along as I had thought, one other option you might consider is to ask him if he'd be willing to let you go with an MS. That would be a nice middle ground in that he'd get to graduate you, and you'd do a thesis and hopefully get a paper or two. Also, that way you'd have a degree to show for yourself after all your hard work, and you should be able to finish in a year if you work hard.

Another PhD'er here. I just want to add that classmate of mine in my PhD program had great success with the plan Q described above. Shortly after starting the program, my classmate quickly realized that a relatively cloistered life of writing and teaching doesn't suit his personality at all (humanities PhD). He started volunteering at a local hospital and took some post-bacc classes while writing his master's thesis. He received a number of medical school interviews and acceptances.

When I look at my friend starting his M4 year while I'm just getting ready to start medical school, I feel a twinge of regret that I didn't bail earlier, too. On a more positive note, I'll add that my PhD background was very well received by almost every interviewer I met.

Another positive is that I don't ask myself "What if...?" regarding the PhD. I probably would if I hadn't finished, but that's just my personality. If you are dead certain that the PhD track you've embarked on is professionally the wrong fit for you, as my friend was, I would seriously consider leaving with the MS (with your PI's support, of course).