Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you guys for taking the time to read this post and for any advice you can give!
Background: URM, Black, Female, 28 y/o midwest resident (mid-size city)
Research: 2.5 years as a research assistant, 2 years as a clinical research coordinator
Publications: 2 pubs, 1 poster
Activities: Student Government (undergrad), Student Advisory Committee (grad), Student Group President, Non-profit Disability Advocacy Intern, Two case competitions (2nd place for both though, so I don't know if I want to include them in my applications), CDC COVID-19 Public Health Project Assistant, TA (1 lib-ed, 1 biochem), Middle School Tutor
Clinical/Volunteering Experience: Phlebotomist (>1000 hrs), Patient care assistant (>1000 hrs), Hospital Volunteer (~200 hrs), Ronald McDonald House Volunteer (~45 hr)
Shadowing: ~80 hrs total; 4 MDs (derm, gyn-onc, GI, fam-med), 1 DO (PMR)
GPA and MCAT:
MCAT: 498 (2024) > Goal: 505+
GPA: Currently in a masters focusing on cellular biology (4.0 GPA) and will be done Fall 2026. My undergrad GPA was on the lower end (hence the masters) with a 3.4 cGPA & 3.28 sGPA. Upward trend, but multiple W's sophomore and freshman year.
Question:
My previous MCAT attempt was after a two month dedicated period (5-8 hrs per day). However, I hadn't taken any of the premed pre-req courses before taking the exam (other than general biology and chemistry) so I had to self-teach a lot of the material. Based on my score though, there were clearly still gaps I had in content. I have since taken these courses during my DIY post-bacc and masters.
I am preparing for another MCAT retake, but I want the next application cycle I attempt to be as strong as I can make it to ensure it is my last. During my previous application cycle, I hadn't applied to DO schools, which I would be doing during my next cycle (I didn't apply not for a lack of interest, but as I was preparing my DO application it was already pretty late into the cycle and I had started to receive many pre-II rejections from MD schools).
Essentially, I am concerned that I am placing myself in a similar situation as my previous cycle and rushing the MCAT and applications. I know I am in a better position content-wise, but I am worried that I won't break 500 again. Am I overthinking it, or should I take these thoughts as a sign to hold off until the 2027-28 application cycle? Since I graduate from my masters in Fall 2026, I would have from Jan-April to prep and take the exam ahead of applications opening. However, my feelings on the matter are also somewhat complex as an older applicant. Additionally, my current research job is not guaranteed next year as we are currently applying for grants, so I would feel a lot more secure having something solid locked in for 2027. Sorry this is somewhat long-winded, and thank you to any of you who took the time to read this and give advice! <3
TLDR; Take the MCAT in 2026 (8/22/26) for 2026-27 application cycle or hold off until 2027 (04/??/27) for the 2027-28 application cycle?
P.S. If I did apply to primarily DO schools during this cycle (2026-27) WAMC with my current MCAT score?
Background: URM, Black, Female, 28 y/o midwest resident (mid-size city)
Research: 2.5 years as a research assistant, 2 years as a clinical research coordinator
Publications: 2 pubs, 1 poster
Activities: Student Government (undergrad), Student Advisory Committee (grad), Student Group President, Non-profit Disability Advocacy Intern, Two case competitions (2nd place for both though, so I don't know if I want to include them in my applications), CDC COVID-19 Public Health Project Assistant, TA (1 lib-ed, 1 biochem), Middle School Tutor
Clinical/Volunteering Experience: Phlebotomist (>1000 hrs), Patient care assistant (>1000 hrs), Hospital Volunteer (~200 hrs), Ronald McDonald House Volunteer (~45 hr)
Shadowing: ~80 hrs total; 4 MDs (derm, gyn-onc, GI, fam-med), 1 DO (PMR)
GPA and MCAT:
MCAT: 498 (2024) > Goal: 505+
GPA: Currently in a masters focusing on cellular biology (4.0 GPA) and will be done Fall 2026. My undergrad GPA was on the lower end (hence the masters) with a 3.4 cGPA & 3.28 sGPA. Upward trend, but multiple W's sophomore and freshman year.
Question:
My previous MCAT attempt was after a two month dedicated period (5-8 hrs per day). However, I hadn't taken any of the premed pre-req courses before taking the exam (other than general biology and chemistry) so I had to self-teach a lot of the material. Based on my score though, there were clearly still gaps I had in content. I have since taken these courses during my DIY post-bacc and masters.
I am preparing for another MCAT retake, but I want the next application cycle I attempt to be as strong as I can make it to ensure it is my last. During my previous application cycle, I hadn't applied to DO schools, which I would be doing during my next cycle (I didn't apply not for a lack of interest, but as I was preparing my DO application it was already pretty late into the cycle and I had started to receive many pre-II rejections from MD schools).
Essentially, I am concerned that I am placing myself in a similar situation as my previous cycle and rushing the MCAT and applications. I know I am in a better position content-wise, but I am worried that I won't break 500 again. Am I overthinking it, or should I take these thoughts as a sign to hold off until the 2027-28 application cycle? Since I graduate from my masters in Fall 2026, I would have from Jan-April to prep and take the exam ahead of applications opening. However, my feelings on the matter are also somewhat complex as an older applicant. Additionally, my current research job is not guaranteed next year as we are currently applying for grants, so I would feel a lot more secure having something solid locked in for 2027. Sorry this is somewhat long-winded, and thank you to any of you who took the time to read this and give advice! <3
TLDR; Take the MCAT in 2026 (8/22/26) for 2026-27 application cycle or hold off until 2027 (04/??/27) for the 2027-28 application cycle?
P.S. If I did apply to primarily DO schools during this cycle (2026-27) WAMC with my current MCAT score?
Last edited: