Finished content review... how to improve on sections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Next Step Full length I and scored pretty low on my first practice exam after finishing content review. My scores for Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem were ~60%. I kind of feel overwhelmed about this and don't even know where to start.

Any advice and tips on how to build my score considerably on these two sections would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @315507 -

Hang in there! Realistic practice exams are a critical part of MCAT prep, because to do well, you have to both know your science and know how to take the MCAT. So your first practice exam is going to be more of a jumping-off point than a predictor of your ultimate outcomes. The key is to review your practice exams carefully and identify action points for improvement.

A starting point is to identify, for every question you were even a little bit unsure of, what you needed to know to get the question right and how you had to go about solving it. That is, did you have to rely on outside knowledge or did you have to get information from the passage? How did you have to apply it? For computation questions, how can you solve them most effectively, and how can you improve your own process? Additionally, you want to understand both why the correct answer was correct and why the incorrect answers were incorrect, because that will help you learn to pick up on common patterns in trap answers. As you review, try to identify specific lessons that you can take away from the questions/passages and translate those into action points. These can relate to content (for example, you might need to review some specific o-chem/physics content in more depth), strategy (for example, you might make a note about avoiding extreme answer choices in CARS or tweak how you approach passage reading/highlighting), or even little process tricks like writing out calculations carefully to avoid so-called "silly" mistakes or pausing to take a deep breath before doing a new passage.

Best of luck & wishing you a productive review!

Members don't see this ad :)
What types of questions did you miss? Basic knowledge questions? Applications? What have you been using to study/prepare for the MCAT?
It seems that I missed a huge amount of application questions, specifically in the passages. Maybe because I'm not familiar with topics being applied to specific passages? Stand alone questions I either knew it outright or made an error. I've used TBR for chemistry and physics and EK for remaining.

Hi @315507 -

Hang in there! Realistic practice exams are a critical part of MCAT prep, because to do well, you have to both know your science and know how to take the MCAT. So your first practice exam is going to be more of a jumping-off point than a predictor of your ultimate outcomes. The key is to review your practice exams carefully and identify action points for improvement.

A starting point is to identify, for every question you were even a little bit unsure of, what you needed to know to get the question right and how you had to go about solving it. That is, did you have to rely on outside knowledge or did you have to get information from the passage? How did you have to apply it? For computation questions, how can you solve them most effectively, and how can you improve your own process? Additionally, you want to understand both why the correct answer was correct and why the incorrect answers were incorrect, because that will help you learn to pick up on common patterns in trap answers. As you review, try to identify specific lessons that you can take away from the questions/passages and translate those into action points. These can relate to content (for example, you might need to review some specific o-chem/physics content in more depth), strategy (for example, you might make a note about avoiding extreme answer choices in CARS or tweak how you approach passage reading/highlighting), or even little process tricks like writing out calculations carefully to avoid so-called "silly" mistakes or pausing to take a deep breath before doing a new passage.

Best of luck & wishing you a productive review!

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. It sounds like I definitely need to spend time focusing on how I can solve problems. Right now, I sort of just read the passages and hope I can find the answer somewhere in there or use prior knowledge. I definitely don't have the trap pattern instinct, but that sounds like I need to develop it.

What was your total score on NS 1? Sectional scores?
Not great at all. Overall score was a few points above 500, with 126s in Chem/Phys and Bio. Psych and CARS I am less worried about. Right now, I am stressing trying to figure out how to bring up Chem/Phys and Bio dramatically!

Keep doing practice passages/problems and learn from them. You learn by applying concepts, not from strict content review.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. It sounds like I definitely need to spend time focusing on how I can solve problems. Right now, I sort of just read the passages and hope I can find the answer somewhere in there or use prior knowledge. I definitely don't have the trap pattern instinct, but that sounds like I need to develop it.

Yes, it can be very helpful to see why incorrect answer choices are incorrect -- especially for questions you get wrong or were unsure of, but even for questions you get right and feel good about. There's nothing wrong w/ using prior knowledge or finding the answer in the passage, but sometimes it can be a little tricky to figure out exactly how to apply that info. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user