Finished formal postbac & still have courses left... worried about weak course load

Started by MildredTB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MildredTB

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently finished a postbac program & completed 30 credit hours at that institution. This semester I returned as a part-time student and took Genetics & Organic I+ lab. This semester I am registered for Organic II & Physics II. Due to $$, and medical reasons I feel 110% not okay with taking 2 courses this semester. I need to recover. Unfortunately, I still have to take Organic II, Physics II & Biochem.

I plan to take the MCAT next Jan or March.

Having had completed a year @ 30hrs & another semester @ 8 hours with a postbac GPA of ~3.7, would it look completely sketchy if I took Organic II +lab this semester, Biochem in the fall & Physics II in the spring of next year? Unfortunately, with the way the institutions around me offer classes only during certain semesters, I would have to wait a whole year for Physics II. My previous uGPA is ~3.20.

I really need to stop and heal. I pushed myself through the program at the expense of my health and am about to be at a breaking point, but I'm afraid of looking weak. I have also been taking care of my child mostly on my own throughout this whole process- I had a baby right before entering the postbac.
 
Last edited:
It doesn't matter how many classes you take each quarter/semester. What matters is doing well and getting them done. There's no reason to even explain why you went part-time with school either. Most non-traditional students are working which obviously makes it hard to take on a full load. No need to rush the process or feel bad about giving yourself some grace. Learning how to balance (even if that means slowing down) and do well is an important life skill and will serve you well in medical school and your future physician career.

I work full-time running a service at a hospital (tons of charting after hours), have two kiddos and have been taking two hard science courses per quarter. I applied to a small amount of schools and have four interview invites so far. If I can get here without all the prerequisites done yet on a part-time completion path, so can you. Chin up!

Bravo to you for getting this far. Keep going. Listen to your body and trust your intuition.
 
It doesn't matter how many classes you take each quarter/semester. What matters is doing well and getting them done. There's no reason to even explain why you went part-time with school either. Most non-traditional students are working which obviously makes it hard to take on a full load. No need to rush the process or feel bad about giving yourself some grace. Learning how to balance (even if that means slowing down) and do well is an important life skill and will serve you well in medical school and your future physician career.

I work full-time running a service at a hospital (tons of charting after hours), have two kiddos and have been taking two hard science courses per quarter. I applied to a small amount of schools and have four interview invites so far. If I can get here without all the prerequisites done yet on a part-time completion path, so can you. Chin up!

Bravo to you for getting this far. Keep going. Listen to your body and trust your intuition.

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words- I really hope that's the case, but what I've gathered from this forum, this process is neither forgiving nor understanding. I really don't want to mess up the work that I've done so far by taking time off/ a lighter load.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your kind and encouraging words- I really hope that's the case, but what I've gathered from this forum, this process is neither forgiving nor understanding. I really don't want to mess up the work that I've done so far by taking time off/ a lighter load.
They aren't comparing course loads. Bigger fish to fry.