Finished intern and passed step 3 can I get a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, PGY2 here. Technically I know I can get an unlimited license after completing my intern year and passing step 3, but what kind of jobs are out there?
God I feel like I may get terminated from my residency program as I have struggled just to get through every day at the clinic/hospital.
Does anyone know any job options for me let's say if I let go w/o finishing my residency? I am sure this happened to many others....
I don't want to think about this unfortunate scenario but knowing that I will still have a job may help me alleviate my worries.
Thank you in advance.
Best,
Struggling PGY2

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't you in radiation oncology? What's going so wrong in your rad onc residency that you feel like you're going to be terminated?

It's pretty unusual for a rad onc to be let go from a residency position. Rad onc is lower stress and lower hours than a lot of residencies (though there are some malignant places out there) and you're increasingly difficult to replace (rad onc no longer competitive).

Your question has been asked numerous times on this forum. The answer is that your options are going to be much better if you complete a residency and become board certified. So in my opinion we should focus on getting you through your issues and/or finding a new residency (if possible).

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, PGY2 here. Technically I know I can get an unlimited license after completing my intern year and passing step 3, but what kind of jobs are out there?
God I feel like I may get terminated from my residency program as I have struggled just to get through every day at the clinic/hospital.
Does anyone know any job options for me let's say if I let go w/o finishing my residency? I am sure this happened to many others....
I don't want to think about this unfortunate scenario but knowing that I will still have a job may help me alleviate my worries.
Thank you in advance.
Best,
Struggling PGY2

This does get talked about on SDN a lot. I don't know if I would say that it has happened to "many others," but it's not that uncommon either.

As far as jobs, your options are basically urgent care, wound care, working for the Bureau of Prisons, working for a Native American reservation, or opening your own practice and doing general primary care/cosmetics. As you can tell from this list, options aren't great. I don't know how much you learned in your intern year, but if it was not a primary care focused year, you might struggle A LOT during your first few years out because you will be forced to learn on the fly.

Has anyone actually talked to you about deficiencies? You may feel like you will get terminated but that may not actually be the case. And what are you struggling with - the workload, the patients, just your overall confidence?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you in advance.
Best,
Struggling PGY2