Failed Ph.D. Student to M.D. program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asparagus_liker

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Without knowing more about the rest of your application, it's hard to know what is at play.
With what you have shared, two interviews (at this point) could be about right.
If the cycle does not go as planned, post in WAMC and we can do a better analysis.

Reactions: 4 users
Without knowing more about you (e.g., your MCAT score, GPA, etc.), it is hard to speculate as to what may be responsible for the limited (well, average) interest you are seeing. However, getting into medical school is very competitive. It is not uncommon for applicants to be rejected for one or two cycles before gaining acceptance. If you are serious about medical school, I would do everything you can to make the most of your interview opportunities this cycle; continue improving your application for a future cycle in case things don't work out this time around; and, if need be, apply again once your application has been materially improved.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a Ph.D. student for six years and got a Fulbright Scholarship in that time, finished 2 publications and 3 patents. However, my Stanford-trained mentor was very cuthroat and competitive, and gave my project to other students. I had it coming I suppose, I was not as good as the other student, but I am of course indignant about this being unfair.

I have spent the last year working at Roche for a job I am very overqualified for, and applying to medical school. I volunteer at an ICU and a Homeless Shelter, I took 3 postbacc classes in organic chemistry, and in August I applied to 25 MD and 5 DO programs.

Since my submissions in August, I have had one interview from Texas ENMED, a showcase invitation to Carle, and that's it. Nobody else is rejecting me or giving me interview invites.

Is my bizarre story a red flag? I am of course very depressed about my situation, and Medical School feels like my only hope.
Most people who apply to med school do not get any acceptances, much less IIs.

You're fine. The fact that you got IIs means that Admissions Deans/committees didn't think your history was a red flag.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of academia - but Fulbright scholarships aren't given to chumps or slackers, so that is very much a point in your favor. I agree with Goro here - depends on how you explain it. If you left rather than being booted it wouldn't mean anything. No clue what your MCAT and GPA were, or what your school lists were like or your clinical hours. I don't see any red flags here so far, though.

Reactions: 1 users
3.3 undergrad GPA, 3.5 grad GPA, 4.0 postbach GPA, 521 MCAT, highest Casper score, 8 preview

So LizzyM is 72-ish I guess, WARS is 84-ish

I applied to 30 schools, 5 DO 25 MD, ranging from UCSF/Case Western tier schools to UNM/State schools based on the WARS and LizzyM calculator suggestions.

2 interviews, otherwise nothing.
I've asked advisors about my application and they say "It looks very strong," but I've seen several people here and on Reddit with much lower WARS and LizzyM that have gotten 10+ interviews.

I feel like anyone that reads my application will go "Oh, this guy failed out of grad school? We don't want a failure," instead of going "Oh wow this guy went to grad school"

3.3 undergrad GPA, 3.5 grad GPA, 4.0 postbach GPA, 521 MCAT, highest Casper score, 8 preview

So LizzyM is 72-ish I guess, WARS is 84-ish

I applied to 30 schools, 5 DO 25 MD, ranging from UCSF/Case Western tier schools to UNM/State schools based on the WARS and LizzyM calculator suggestions.

2 interviews, otherwise nothing.
I've asked advisors about my application and they say "It looks very strong," but I've seen several people here and on Reddit with much lower WARS and LizzyM that have gotten 10+ interviews.

I feel like anyone that reads my application will go "Oh, this guy failed out of grad school? We don't want a failure," instead of going "Oh wow this guy went to grad school"
Did you say in your application "I failed out of grad school"? Or did you spin it more along the lines of "I realized grad school wasn't right for me and then I had experiences X, Y, and Z which showed me that I want to become a physician"?

It sounds like you didn’t complete the phd but you do have achievements from your time there. Not sure why it’d be seen as such a big failure or where it’d be documented as such. What are your hours for your volunteering activities and your total sGPA including your postbac grades? That might have more weight than the phd thing.

Last edited:
Did you actually fail out of graduate school? What is your GPA (BCPM, prerequisites)? Hours of clinical experience and community service?

What were your strengths according to feedback? You deleted your original post so we are very limited how much more help we can provide.