Finishing a Postbac Required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriosityKillsMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I attended UPENN's specialized studies (gpa enhancer, taking upper division biology courses) postbac. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I dropped out 2 of my 4 classes from fall semester. I've completed 6 of the 8 courses (A's and A-'s) needed for to receive a "certificate of completion" and more importantly the program's committee letter. Is it worth going back to PENN and finishing the program solely for the certificate of completion and the committee letter or should I continue to take classes at my original undergraduate institution and potentially have my undergraduate institution write a committee letter? Going back to PENN is possible but can raise some financial problems for me. How will medical schools see the withdrawals from 2/4 courses? I can explain those in an interview/essay etc...

Note - it is not required for me to take more classes for my undergraduate institution to write my committee letter at this point in time. But I thought taking more classes would help my gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While some medical schools state a preference for committee letters, all schools accept letter packets or individual letters. Many schools do not offer committee letters but I’ve found this varies by region. In my opinion, a committee letter is not worth undergoing hardship to make Penn work. If you can clarify with your undergraduate institution what you would need to do to get a letter from them to make sure you can meet It, I would do that. Even if there isn’t a committee letter, I still probably wouldn’t go to Penn.

As for dropping two classes, you can explain that in your application if necessary but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I dropped a class in my post bac due to a medical emergency in my family, never mentioned it in my applications and it didn’t get brought up.

It was my understanding that if you do a formal program that offers a committee letter and you don't get one, it can raise flags.

Members don't see this ad :)
This summer I attended UPENN's specialized studies (gpa enhancer, taking upper division biology courses) postbac. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I dropped out 2 of my 4 classes from fall semester. I've completed 6 of the 8 courses (A's and A-'s) needed for to receive a "certificate of completion" and more importantly the program's committee letter. Is it worth going back to PENN and finishing the program solely for the certificate of completion and the committee letter or should I continue to take classes at my original undergraduate institution and potentially have my undergraduate institution write a committee letter? Going back to PENN is possible but can raise some financial problems for me. How will medical schools see the withdrawals from 2/4 courses? I can explain those in an interview/essay etc...

Note - it is not required for me to take more classes for my undergraduate institution to write my committee letter at this point in time. But I thought taking more classes would help my gpa.
I dont three courses for two semesters is enough data points for your app. Finish the program

I dont three courses for two semesters is enough data points for your app. Finish the program
I completed 6 courses that were just undergraduate level, is it possible to complete this postbac (unofficially) at a my undergraduate state school which is more convenient and cheaper?