Finishing medical school in 3 years??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Monkeymaniac

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard of some people who finished their medical studies in 3 years (not internship, fellowship, etc), instead of usual 4 years. Is this realy possible at most medical schools? and if it is, then what do you think made them possible to do that? Thanks guys.
 
I don't think thats even possible in a US allopathic program. The first two years are grueling as it is with the courseload much less to do both at the same time AND find time to study for step 1. Assuming the basic science years were not split up and the last 2 rotation years were condensed, that's another one that is hard to swallow. There are mandatory rotations that take about a year to get done and then you do electives and go on the application process all the while fitting in time for Step 2 CS and CK.
 
Some schools used to do it, but I don't know of any that still do.
Not that I have been looking though. My school used to do it, but quit around 5 years ago.
Your 4th year became your intern year basically.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard of some people who finished their medical studies in 3 years (not internship, fellowship, etc), instead of usual 4 years. Is this realy possible at most medical schools? and if it is, then what do you think made them possible to do that? Thanks guys.

Agree with the others -- at one time there were schools that did, but those programs (eg. the ones designed for students who already had science PhDs) fell out of favor and no longer exist. A few schools compress things a little to force you to do a research project, or maybe to get you an extra couple of weeks to study for Step 1, but that doesn't get you out earlier. Honestly, the quantity of information the schools would love to teach far exceeds the 2 basic science and 2 clinical years they have to work with now. You are more likely to find schools that let you complete in 5 years instead of the usual 4. It's not a race though -- this is some value to the 4 years -- It's not just a place you get warehoused until you get to practice.
 
McMaster in Canada operates on an 11-month schedule each year and their med students finish MD in 3 years. but then really, it's not a good idea at all, IMHO.
 
McMaster in Canada operates on an 11-month schedule each year and their med students finish MD in 3 years. but then really, it's not a good idea at all, IMHO.

I heard nothing but good things about McMaster's MD program. Why do you think it is a bad idea?
 
I think the folks at Duke get all their "traditional" medical school out of the way in three years - one science year and two clinical years - but they do a year in research or something like that, so the total is four years.

At Stony Brook, I think we have a program designed to keep desired students as pediatricians, where you begin residency in pediatrics at some point - not sure when - in your fourth year. Takes some money off of your tuition, and you get paid, so it's a good gig (if you like kids and parents). So you are a medical student for 3.? years, but it's technically less than four.

dc
 
I heard nothing but good things about McMaster's MD program. Why do you think it is a bad idea?

Oh, I should have made myself clearer; by that I mean there's no need to rush through the course. Lecturers/Professors and whatnot have enough challenge teaching medicine to students in 4 years, let alone 3.
 
McMaster in Canada operates on an 11-month schedule each year and their med students finish MD in 3 years. but then really, it's not a good idea at all, IMHO.

The University of Calgary also offers 3 year MD programs. They must operate on a similar schedule to McMaster, but I heard that it was only a week or 2 that students got off between each "year". (I don't know if that is a calendar year or academic year, ie every 10 months).

I also agree that it isn't a good idea. Students need a break so that they don't go insane and can do other non med activities like travelling. Once school is over then there will never be anytime for that.
 
I can understand cramming the traditional curriculum into three years if you're going to get something out of it (like an MPH or a year's worth of solid research that results in publications), but graduating in three years just to cut a year off of med school is ridiculous. Seriously, this stuff is rough enough as it is.
 
D.O. Program- 3 years med school + 3 years FP residency....previously discussed in Family medicine forum.
http://www.lecom.edu/bradenton/news/PCSP2.asp

The only other way I know to shorten it is through the pre-med route...some places have accelerated pre-med (like Penn State I think) where you have 2 years pre-med and 4 years of med school instead of the traditional 4 years college + 4 years med school.

I know a few years back a couple of states were having pre-meds start their junior year of high school. You could possible verify the program lengths at the library.