Finishing prereqs before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesposito

Idiot paramedic premed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone somewhere has probably explained this more than adequately, and I apologize in advance, but anyway....

I am taking my prereqs. At my current rate, I will be finished with them in Fall 2011. In an ideal world, I'd like to be in the 2011 app cycle to matriculate in 2012, cuz I'm not getting any younger.

a. I am under the impression after reading many posts that some med schools will consider applicants who have not finished all their prereqs but indicate they will be finished by matriculation, yes?

b. People can do well on the MCAT without having finished all of their prereqs if they adequately study/prep, yes?

c. How does AACOMAS figure your sGPA if all of your "s" is not yet completed?

d. I'm not a total idiot for asking this, yes?

A

Members don't see this ad.

a. I am under the impression after reading many posts that some med schools will consider applicants who have not finished all their prereqs but indicate they will be finished by matriculation, yes?
There are a few exceptions, but the rule is that you have to complete the prerequisites prior to matriculation or you will most likely be forced to defer a year.
b. People can do well on the MCAT without having finished all of their prereqs if they adequately study/prep, yes?
Varies for each individual. I don't think they're necessary before taking the exam. I'm not taking Orgo II till this fall, and I was taking Bio II while preparing for the MCAT, which I took yesterday. My other prereqs were over a decade ago. My AAMC practice scores were all in the 37-40 range. Your mileage may vary.
c. How does AACOMAS figure your sGPA if all of your "s" is not yet completed?
Your "s" GPA is exactly that, all of the classes/grades that count as "s", dropping any grades that you retook classes for. You're prereqs aren't thrown in if you haven't taken them.
d. I'm not a total idiot for asking this, yes?
You're not the guy who posted in pre-allo "What is a primary and what is a secondary?" ;)