Finishing Undergrad in 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zakaqel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently debating whether or not I should take summer courses so that I could shorten the time required for undergrad. If I kill myself and take courses the whole year, I’ll be able to finish in three years. I’ve heard a lot about how taking summer courses can harm your application. The courses that I’m planning to take are analytical chemistry and calc 2; their not required courses, I’m just taking them for my major.

Is it not recommended to finish in three years?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently debating whether or not I should take summer courses so that I could shorten the time required for undergrad. If I kill myself and take courses the whole year, I’ll be able to finish in three years. I’ve heard a lot about how taking summer courses can harm your application. The courses that I’m planning to take are analytical chemistry and calc 2; their not required courses, I’m just taking them for my major.

Is it not recommended to finish in three years?

There is (pretty much) nothing wrong with summer classes. But I'd put some serious thought into the 3 years thing. AdComs would be more wary about the 3yrs than the summer courses.

I finished up in three years, but didn't kill myself (15-18 credits a semester for a 137.5 credit degree). The subject never came up in interviews. If it would sacrifice your gpa or your involvement in extracurricular activites I would recommend not doing it. I did take bio 2 during the summer at a different school because my school doesn't offer a lab with the course. That came up in 1 interview, but it was easily explainable. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished in three years and was accepted to medical school. I made the decision based on finances. The majority opinion on this forum, however, is to take your time and enjoy your college years. You would still need to do the same amount of volunteering, research, leadership, etc., for your application to competitive with those of everyone who does it the more traditional way. No one questioned my summer classes and summer research. It isn't worth 'killing' yourself.

Three year university degree here as well, planned it that way. I took 21 hours per semester for a total of 126 (including pre-med), I did not need to take summer courses. But, there seems to be no harm in doing so in general, just don't risk your GPA. If you need seven semesters to graduate, do so...

I would not do the three years because it seems schools prefer older (25) applicants than 21 or 22 year olds. I think adcom belive young people are going into medicine without knowing what they are getting themselves into.

Don't do it. You have an entire thread about how your health is going to **** due to stress. This would only make things more stressful.

Take it easy. Finish in 4 years and take a summer class or two to lighten the load during the school year. It might cost you quite a bit, but your health is kinda important.

Don't do it. You have an entire thread about how your health is going to **** due to stress. This would only make things more stressful.

Take it easy. Finish in 4 years and take a summer class or two to lighten the load during the school year. It might cost you quite a bit, but your health is kinda important.

:thumbup:

I know of atleast one school that wont take you seriously, unless you take 1 or more years off.

Agree with amwatts0322.

I took two years off after my three years in college - it did make a difference for me. I traveled, worked (including 10 months of clinical), made some money, saved some money - grew up some too. And, I still was able to start Med School at the age of 23.

I finished in 3 years as well, and i did face questions regarding my decision during interviews. I applied after my last year of undergrad, so I empahsized my activities during my "year off." Med schools might have their doubts as to whether you are prepared enough if you apply after only 2 years. You should also consider that with 3 years of undergrad but no time off, your application may not be as competative as that of a person who did the 4 year plan/time off. Hope this helps. Good luck :)