FIRECRACKER - Anticholinergic agents contraindicated in ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the following list in Firecracker but am not sure about it.. Is it right ?

Anticholinergic agents are contraindicated in patients with:
  • Angle-closure glaucoma
  • Gastric retention
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Uncontrolled tachyarrhythmias

I thought BPH and old patients who get delirium and hyperthermia are the C/I
I agree with Angle closure glaucoma being a contraindication for anticholinergics... But i dont undertand the other 3..

Also, I know that Anti-cholinergics cause retention in BPH patients & cause decreased motility and ileus too.. Though have no idea about Gastric retention ? And the other 2 i have never even heard them.. FC has mistakes sometimes.. is this one of those mistakes

Members don't see this ad.

Those conditions listed rely on cholinergics for proper treatment/stability...so anticholinergics are contraindicated. MG = reduced Ach receptors...anticholinergics would be a bad idea...Gastric retention = motility of the gut is via Ach...anticholinergics would worsen gastric retention..bad idea...Uncontrolled tachyarrythmias....Ach slows the heart down...anticholinergics in someone with fast HRs would be a bad idea..think big picture as medicine always has exceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user