Fired Hopkins doctor seeks $24M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My point in this matter is that these selacious gossip reports are NOT to my understanding, based on the limited information available to the public, why he was terminated. It could be DrJoeBlow we are talking about and I would still have the same position. It is oh so wonderful to have individuals get onto some internet chat forum and spread rumor and innuendo and otherwise kick someone while they are down.... but, we do not have any reported "facts" or even reported "claims" that these rumors have anything to do with his termination.
...if every male resident who was dating multiple nurses at/near the same time got fired, they'd be firing a lot of damn residents. I don't particularly think it speaks well of the guy...
IMHO, I am in agreement with that..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The attached link to the .pdf goes to an old, non-functional page on the law firm's website. Any way to post a link of the complaint for those of us wanting to learn more about the details of the case? Thanks.

Update: Found the file online on their webpage by searching 'serrano' if anyone else is having difficulty with the link and learning more about this most interesting case.

Wow-just finished reading the Complaint-what a glimpse of the level of institutional arrogance at Hopkins. They are going down and paying a whole bunch of cash +/- professors stepping down/chairpeople shuffling about.

Last edited:
I was just checking the status of Dr. Serrano's case online (http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...il.jis?caseId=24C09005422&loc=69&detailLoc=CC).

It reads "Closed/Inactive" with the last entry being a "Stipulation of Dismissal With Prejudice" from the plaintiff on 2/23/11.

Does this mean the case was settled?
Not being an attorney, not sure what it means... but, I would be curious to know? Stipulation for dismissal reads like settlement to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_dismissal

Also, curious where he ended up... heard rumors he got a spot but no real info.

looks like they went to trial and settled

Last edited:
looks like they went to trial and settled

Nooooooooooooooooooooo1 :bang:
I was hoping for reporters outside of the court, the Hopkins program shut down, and Serrano with a ton of money...

I guess you can't always get what you want. Hope he did though :laugh:

I was just checking the status of Dr. Serrano's case online (http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...il.jis?caseId=24C09005422&loc=69&detailLoc=CC).

It reads "Closed/Inactive" with the last entry being a "Stipulation of Dismissal With Prejudice" from the plaintiff on 2/23/11.

Does this mean the case was settled?

Most likely. I say this (not being a lawyer, thank God) because it is "with prejudice", meaning that the suit cannot be refiled on the same grounds.

With no knowledge of essentially anything about it (as everything I know of the case comes from SDN), I would guess that there was a monetary settlement, Hopkins found him a spot elsewhere, a gag order, no admission of wrongdoing on the JHU side, and no one lost their job (among the administrators) at JHU.

Most likely. I say this (not being a lawyer, thank God) because it is "with prejudice", meaning that the suit cannot be refiled on the same grounds...
Yeh, not a lawyer either but this is my understanding of plaintiff stipulation to dismissal with prejudice: That is effectively granting the biggest win for the accused short of actually loosing in trial. The with prejudice by plaintiff is in effect not just withdrawal of complaint/accusation but goes further to say they did nothing wrong..... it is the plaintiff's version of granting a legal judgement in favor of the defense/accused/JHU.:eek:

This may mean the accused, if asked later can say, "I was named in a lawsuit but all claims and charges were actually dismissed with prejudice".

The phrase "with prejudice" is a technical one for the court, and it just means that the case cannot be filed again. Even if the law would still give time to sue over the issues, the plaintiff or defendant cannot go back to court. Dismissal with prejudice is the usual end to litigation if the parties settle it without going to trial. Not a lawyer here, but a long time employee of law firms. Probably, there is a confidentiality agreement among the parties to the suit (both sides) regarding the terms of settlement.

The phrase "with prejudice" is a technical one for the court, and it just means that the case cannot be filed again. Even if the law would still give time to sue over the issues, the plaintiff or defendant cannot go back to court. Dismissal with prejudice is the usual end to litigation if the parties settle it without going to trial. Not a lawyer here, but a long time employee of law firms. Probably, there is a confidentiality agreement among the parties to the suit (both sides) regarding the terms of settlement.

Didn't I say that just two posts above? In case anyone isn't clear, a "gag order" is when no one can talk about it - it's like putting a gag on them.

The phrase "with prejudice" is a technical one for the court, and it just means that the case cannot be filed again. Even if the law would still give time to sue over the issues, the plaintiff or defendant cannot go back to court. Dismissal with prejudice is the usual end to litigation if the parties settle it without going to trial. Not a lawyer here, but a long time employee of law firms...
I am not a lawyer either. However, what little understanding I have of law, "with prejudice" is NOT just a minor and/or technical nuance. There is centuries of legal significance to a plaintiff agreeing to stipulation for dismissal with PREJUDICE. It doesn't "just mean" can't refile. My understanding is that it means you can't refile BECAUSE you have in essence attested to the ~innocence of the accused. This is a strong word. And, yes, the accused may and likely did pay a premium for this laundry service.

The word "prejudice" in everyday usage has very significant meaning and significance. In law, the word "prejudice" also as very significant meaning and significance. While its use may be common in settling the excessive multitudes of cases filed, that does not diminish what it means. Actually, it is used so commonly BECAUSE that specific stipulation is of such significance.

Dismissal with prejudice is different from prejudicial conduct. There is no admission or suggestion as to which side was in the right when a case is dismissed with prejudice. Perhaps there was historically, but not now.

Dismissal with prejudice is different from prejudicial conduct. There is no admission or suggestion as to which side was in the right when a case is dismissed with prejudice. Perhaps there was historically, but not now.
Sure.... I appreciate the minimization of verbage and meaning in our culture. I know, when dealing with my attornies past, present and probably future, they often like to minimize the terminology to make ignorant/simple /non-lawyer me more comfortable swallowing an agreement. However, when comes down to anything that may be argued... the definitions and historical definitions are what will be turned to... The attornies get paid (well) when the settlement happens. The case won't be brought again so things such as verbage are not important to them.

However, verbage was surely important to the defendants. Every defendant in this case, when asked will immediately make it very clear that the charges made against them were dismissed with prejudice. They will not forget that caveat. You can bank on that. Words have meaning and definition even if we are passive about how we use them in daily life. Any discussion/value of words will go to the firm legal definitions and the minimized common value will not be the definition insisted upon.

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer either. However, what little understanding I have of law, "with prejudice" is NOT just a minor and/or technical nuance. There is centuries of legal significance to a plaintiff agreeing to stipulation for dismissal with PREJUDICE. It doesn't "just mean" can't refile. My understanding is that it means you can't refile BECAUSE you have in essence attested to the ~innocence of the accused. This is a strong word. And, yes, the accused may and likely did pay a premium for this laundry service.

The word "prejudice" in everyday usage has very significant meaning and significance. In law, the word "prejudice" also as very significant meaning and significance. While its use may be common in settling the excessive multitudes of cases filed, that does not diminish what it means. Actually, it is used so commonly BECAUSE that specific stipulation is of such significance.

You are mistaken. "Dismissal with prejudice" simply means that the court is rendering a final judgment in the case which would prevent anyone from refiling the same claim in the future. Usually this is done at the request of the plaintiff, and the only reason the plaintiff would ask for this is as part of a settlement with the defense. (Occasionally the court will dismiss an action with prejudice sua sponte, on it's own initiative, but that is a punishment that is rarely employed.) Neither side is stating it is innocent or guilty, liable or not.

dismissal

n. 1) the act of voluntarily terminating a criminal prosecution or a lawsuit or one of its causes of action by one of the parties. 2) a judge's ruling that a lawsuit or criminal charge is terminated. 3) an appeals court's act of dismissing an appeal, letting the lower court decision stand. 4) the act of a plaintiff dismissing a lawsuit upon settling the case. Such a dismissal may be dismissal with prejudice, meaning it can never be filed again, or dismissal without prejudice, leaving open the possibility of bringing the suit again if the defendant does not follow through on the terms of the settlement.

Whatever on the definitions. Again, I'm not a lawyer and not particularly interested in derailing this topic much to debate on lawyer talk....

What I think most would love to know, and likely never know, are the details & facts of this case. I would also be interested in knowing where, if anywhere, he ended up when all is said and done?

Very interesting. Seems like JHU thought they were on the losing side and so they blinked. What happens if Oscar can't transfer? It will be a very long and painful next few years for him at JHU. At least he's untouchable and JHU wouldn't even dare fire him unless he royally screws up.

Very interesting. Seems like JHU thought they were on the losing side and so they blinked. What happens if Oscar can't transfer? It will be a very long and painful next few years for him at JHU. At least he's untouchable and JHU wouldn't even dare fire him unless he royally screws up.

This says nothing of any monetary settlement that may or may not have changed hands.

Instead of Dr Serrano getting fired, he is instead resigning of his own accord in good standing. Same result as before but without the notion of a "dishonorable discharge" following him.

My question... does this happen only in surgery programs, or have you heard of this happening in neurology programs as well? If so, can you say which ones are more lax about these things?

C'mon really, you think that only surgery residents have had sex in the hospital call rooms?

I have no specific details about neurology programs or neurology residents but would assume they have similar libidos and opportunity for some call room fun and games.

C'mon really, you think that only surgery residents have had sex in the hospital call rooms?

I have no specific details about neurology programs or neurology residents but would assume they have similar libidos and opportunity for some call room fun and games.

Neurologists stay overnight in the hospital somewhere? The only neurologist I can imagine having sex in a call room would be some surgeon's boyfriend.

This says nothing of any monetary settlement that may or may not have changed hands.

Instead of Dr Serrano getting fired, he is instead resigning of his own accord in good standing. Same result as before but without the notion of a "dishonorable discharge" following him.

I don't think we know what happened. If he was still required to resign, its hard to characterize this as a win for Dr. Serrano. I'd love to know if any $$ went to anyone other than a lawyer.

Neurologists stay overnight in the hospital somewhere? The only neurologist I can imagine having sex in a call room would be some surgeon's boyfriend.

Heh, 2:10AM here and there are 4 neurology residents and one neurointensivist (me) in house. I'm passing time between disasters.

However, I am not currently in my call room...

...and my wife is at home.

Perhaps it was a more interesting program. I personally walked in on the CT fellow and the CT PA - that was embarassing if only because they were both married to other people, whom I knew.

But we aren't talking about people who are too busy to be doing it (presumably) but rather taking some time, when things are slow, to do it. As for sheepish - I guess it depends on how your call rooms are set up. The CT call room had separate rooms for the fellow and the resident, but this one decided to get busy on the couch in the sitting room between the bedrooms.

Fired? For what? Last time I checked it wasn't against any residency rules to have sex in the hospital.

And no...it wasn't gossip. I have seen it, done it and been told about it by others, attendings and residents. I'm not suggesting that residents are ignoring pages and crashing patients, but if someone is on call and their spouse or long-term GF/BF visits, I see nothing wrong with a little conjugal visit - as long as it doesn't endanger patients or embarass colleagues.

I guess I am unsure as to where your ire comes from. I see lots of residents who have their spouses come to visit for dinner; if things were quiet, I see nothing wrong with them spending some time together. I wouldn't advertise it of course, as some attendings and colleagues might assume you were shirking your work, but that was never evident to me. And besides, we aren't talking about all night sessions, but rather a quick interlude. Also remember, I trained in the day when hours were longer and we often were just sitting around without much to do.

Exactly. As long as someone is discrete and not bothering others, I see no problem especially if it was with a SO (ie, not a running gauntlet of indiscretions with hospital employees). And it certainly wasn't against any residency rules that I was aware of.
Wow, I guess I assumed my Midwestern experiences were more the nationwide rule than the exception, but this all sounds much more titillating than what I'm used to.

I'm not gonna post any "inside gossip" because that's the last thing this thread needs, but you guys can't be taking what his lawyers say as gospel truth, can you?

Hopkins is an institution made of people, some good, some bad, like any other. Shame to see people rooting against the place based on accusations in a lawsuit that were never faced examination in a courtroom.

I guess my main point is that if you're going to take these allegations as a springboard to get really mad, at least keep the anger directed at the people you think are directly involved. And keep some healthy skepticism.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna post any "inside gossip" because that's the last thing this thread needs, but you guys can't be taking what his lawyers say as gospel truth, can you?

Hopkins is an institution made of people, some good, some bad, like any other. Shame to see people rooting against the place based on accusations in a lawsuit that were never faced examination in a courtroom.

I guess my main point is that if you're going to take these allegations as a springboard to get really mad, at least keep the anger directed at the people you think are directly involved. And keep some healthy skepticism.

Yes, I would not venture an opinion here without knowing some numbers: number of terminated residents over the past 5 years, number of people held back, number of suspensions, number of non-renewals. If this varies markedly from the national average, then and only then would I take this whole thing seriously.

So anybody know of what happened at the end with this case from 2009?

I found this: http://www.semmelweissociety3.net/p...torplacesthepatientsatriskwhattodo/id685.html

Sounds like they settled (though the lawyers website doesn't have the press release):
Dr. Serrano and Johns Hopkins University Settle Lawsuit March 24, 2011 Oscar K. Serrano, MD and the Johns Hopkins University have agreed to settle the lawsuit Dr. Serrano filed against Johns Hopkins. Upon further review, Johns Hopkins has agreed to reinstate Dr. Serrano as a resident in good standing and Dr. Serrano has agreed to resign and seek admission to another general surgery program. We look forward to Dr. Serrano's continued success.

Doubts about Johns Hopkins research have gone unanswered, scientist says

The numbers didn't add up.

Over and over, Daniel Yuan, a medical doctor and statistician, couldn't understand the results coming out of the lab, a prestigious facility at Johns Hopkins Medical School funded by millions from the National Institutes of Health.

He raised questions with the lab's director. He reran the calculations on his own. He looked askance at the articles arising from the research, which were published in distinguished journals. He told his colleagues: This doesn't make sense.

"At first, it was like, ‘Okay — but I don't really see it,' " Yuan recalled. "Then it started to smell bad."

His suspicions arose as reports of scientific misconduct have become more frequent and critics have questioned the willingness of universities, academic journals and the federal government, which pays for much of the work, to confront the problem.

Eventually, the Hopkins research, which focused on detecting interactions between genes, would win wide acclaim and, in a coup for the researchers, space in the pages of Nature, arguably the field's most prestigious journal. The medical school even issued a news release when the article appeared last year: "Studies Linked To Better Understanding of Cancer Drugs."

What very few readers of the Nature paper could know, however, was that behind the scenes, Yuan's doubts seemed to be having profound effects.

In August, Yu-yi Lin, the lead author of the paper, was found dead in his new lab in Taiwan, a puncture mark in his left arm and empty vials of sedatives and muscle relaxants around him, according to local news accounts — an apparent suicide.

And within hours of this discovery, a note was sent from Lin's e-mail account to Yuan. The e-mail, which Yuan saved, essentially blamed him for driving Lin to suicide. Yuan had written to Nature's editors, saying that the paper's results were overstated and that he found no evidence that the analyses described had actually been conducted. On the day of his death, Lin, 38, the father of three young daughters, was supposed to have finished writing a response to Yuan's criticisms.

The subject line of the e-mail to Yuan, sent by an unknown person, said "your happy ending."

"Yu-yi passed away this morning. Now you must be very satisfied with your success," the e-mail said.

Yuan said he was shocked by the note, so much so that he began to shake.

But in the seven months since, he has wondered why no one — not the other investigators on the project, not the esteemed journal, not the federal government — has responded publicly to the problems he raised about the research.

The passions of scientific debate are probably not much different from those that drive achievement in other fields, so a tragic, even deadly dispute might not be surprising.

But science, creeping ahead experiment by experiment, paper by paper, depends also on institutions investigating errors and correcting them if need be, especially if they are made in its most respected journals.

If the apparent suicide and Yuan's detailed complaints provoked second thoughts about the Nature paper, though, there were scant signs of it.

The journal initially showed interest in publishing Yuan's criticism and told him that a correction was "probably" going to be written, according to e-mail rec*ords. That was almost six months ago. The paper has not been corrected.

The university had already fired Yuan in December 2011, after 10 years at the lab. He had been raising questions about the research for years. He was escorted from his desk by two security guards.

More recently, a few weeks after a Washington Post reporter began asking questions, a university spokeswoman said that a correction had been submitted to Nature and that it was under review.

"Your questions will be addressed with that publication," a spokeswoman for the Hopkins medical school, Kim Hoppe, wrote in an e-mail.

Neither the journal nor the university would disclose the nature of the correction.

Hoppe declined an opportunity to have university personnel sit for interviews.

In the meantime, the paper has been cited 11 times by other published papers building on the findings.

Read Part Two of ‘Big Pharma': Medicare overspending on anemia drug

It may be impossible for anyone from outside to know the extent of the problems in the Nature paper. But the incident comes amid a phenomenon that some call a "retraction epidemic."

Last year, research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that the percentage of scientific articles retracted because of fraud had increased tenfold since 1975.

The same analysis reviewed more than 2,000 retracted biomedical papers and found that 67 percent of the retractions were attributable to misconduct, mainly fraud or suspected fraud.

"You have a lot of people who want to do the right thing, but they get in a position where their job is on the line or their funding will get cut, and they need to get a paper published," said Ferric C. Fang, one of the authors of the analysis and a medical professor at the University of Washington. "Then they have this tempting thought: If only the data points would line up . . . "

Fang said retractions may be rising because it is simply easier to cheat in an era of digital images, which can be easily manipulated. But he said the increase is caused at least in part by the growing competition for publication and for NIH grant money.

He noted that in the 1960s, about two out of three NIH grant requests were funded; today, the success rate for applicants for research funding is about one in five. At the same time, getting work published in the most esteemed journals, such as Nature, has become a "fetish" for some scientists, Fang said.

In one sense, the rise in retractions may mean that the scientific enterprise is working — bad work is being discovered and tossed out. But many observers note that universities and journals, while sometimes agreeable to admitting small mistakes, are at times loath to reveal that the essence of published work was simply wrong.

"The reader of scientific information is at the mercy of the scientific institution to investigate or not," said Adam Marcus, who with Ivan Oransky founded the blog Retraction Watch in 2010. In this case, Marcus said, "if Hopkins doesn't want to move, we may not find out what is happening for two or three years."

The trouble is that a delayed response — or none at all — leaves other scientists to build upon shaky work. Fang said he has talked to researchers who have lost months by relying on results that proved impossible to reproduce.

Moreover, as Marcus and Oransky have noted, much of the research is funded by taxpayers. Yet when retractions are done, they are done quietly and "live in obscurity," meaning taxpayers are unlikely to find out that their money may have been wasted.

Johns Hopkins University typically receives more than $600 million a year from NIH, according to NIH figures.

For someone who has taken on a battle with Johns Hopkins and Nature, Yuan is strikingly soft-spoken.

He grew up in Gainesville, Fla., and attended MIT and then medical school at Johns Hopkins. He worked briefly as a pediatrician and an assistant professor of pediatrics before deciding that he preferred pure research. He has a wife and two kids and is an accomplished violinist.

In 2001, he joined the lab of Jef Boeke, a Hopkins professor of molecular biology and genetics. Boeke's work on the yeast genome is, as academics put it, "highly cited" — that is, other papers have used some of his articles numerous times for support. Last year, he was named a member of the prestigious American Academy of Arts and Sci*ences.

The lab's research focused on developing a methodology for finding evidence of genes interacting, primarily in the yeast genome and then in the human genome. Genetic interactions are prized because they yield insights into the traits of the genes involved.

During Yuan's time there, the lab received millions in NIH funding, and according to internal e-mails, the people in the lab were under pressure to show results. Yuan felt the pressure, too, he says, but as the point person for analyzing the statistical data emerging from the experiments, he felt compelled to raise his concerns.

As far back as 2007, as the group was developing the methodology that would eventually form the basis of the Nature paper, Yuan wrote an anguished e-mail to another senior member of the lab, Pamela Meluh.

"I continue to be in a state of chronic alarm," he wrote in August 2007. "The denial that I am hearing from almost everyone in the group as a consensus is troubling to me."

Meluh quickly wrote back: "I have the same level of concern as you in terms of data quality, but I have less basis to think it can be better. . . . I'm always torn between addressing your and my own concerns and being ‘productive.' "

Then Boeke weighed in, telling Yuan that if he could improve the data analysis, he should, but that "the clock is ticking."

"NIH has already given us way more time than we thought we needed and at some point we've got to suck it up and run with what we have," Boeke wrote to Meluh and Yuan.

A few years later, another deadline was looming, and Elise Feingold, an NIH administrator, wanted to know what the lab had accomplished.

"I do need some kind of progress report on what you have been doing the past two years . . . and what you think you can accomplish with these funds," she wrote to Boeke.
Citing Feingold's message, *Meluh wrote to Yuan, asking for help in explaining what the lab had produced. Its members had worked diligently, Yuan says, but hadn't arrived at the kind of significant findings that generally produce scientific papers.

"I want to make it look like we've been busy despite lack of publications," Meluh wrote.

Meluh did not respond to a request for an interview. Boeke referred questions to the university's public relations team, which declined to comment further. An NIH official declined to comment.

While Yuan was growing increasingly skeptical of the lab's methodology, Yu-yi Lin, who was also working at the lab, was trying to extend it. In the past, it had been applied to the yeast genome; Lin would extend it to the human genome — and this would become the basis of the Nature paper.

Lin, who was from Taiwan, was an up-and-comer. As a graduate student at Johns Hopkins just a few years before, he'd won an award for his work in cell metabolism and aging. He was also arranging for a prestigious spot at National Taiwan University.

At one point, when he was still at the Boeke lab at Hopkins, Lin asked Yuan to help analyze the data that would become the basis for the Nature paper, Yuan says. Yuan said he declined to get involved because he thought the methodology still had deep flaws.

Interactions between Lin and Yuan at the lab were few, Yuan said, and at any rate, Yuan had other things to worry about. He was slowly being forced out. He was demoted in 2011 from research associate to an entry-level position. A disagreement over whether Yuan should have asked Boeke if he wanted a byline on a paper erupted into further trouble, e-mail and other records show.

The Johns Hopkins spokeswoman, Hoppe, declined to discuss Yuan's job termination.

On Dec. 15, 2011, Yuan was forced to leave the lab. He wasn't allowed to make copies of his cell collection. He spent the next month trying to keep his mind busy. He read books about JavaScript and Photoshop, which he thought would enrich his research abilities. As he looked for other research jobs, he sensed that he had been blackballed.

Then, in February 2012, the Nature paper was published.

The research was a "profound achievement" that would "definitely be a great help to solve and to treat many severe diseases," according to a news release from National Taiwan University, where Lin was now working.

Upon reading it, Yuan said, he was astonished that Lin had used what he considered a flawed method for finding genetic interactions. It had proved troublesome in the yeast genome, he thought. Could it have possibly been more reliable as it was extended to the human genome?

Lin, Boeke and their co-authors reported discovering 878 genetic interactions, or "hits."
But Yuan, who was familiar with the data and the statistics, reanalyzed the data in the paper and concluded that there was essentially no evidence for any more than a handful of the 878 genetic interactions.

One of the key problems, Yuan wrote to the Nature editors, was that the numerical threshold the investigators used for determining when a hit had arisen was too low. This meant they would report far more hits than there actually were.
Yuan also calculated that, given the wide variability in the data and the relative precision required to find a true hit, it would have been impossible to arrive at any conclusions at all. By analogy, it would be like a pollster declaring a winner in an election when the margin of error was larger than the difference in the polling results.

"The overwhelming noise in the . . . data and the overstated strength of the genetic interactions together make it difficult to reconstruct any scientific process by which the authors could have inferred valid results from these data," Yuan wrote to the editors of Nature in July.

His analysis attacks only the first portion of the paper; even if he is correct, the second part of the paper could be true.

Nevertheless, Yuan wanted Nature to publish his criticism, and following instructions from the journal, he forwarded his letter to Boeke and Lin, giving them two weeks to respond.

Just as the two weeks were to elapse, Boeke wrote to Nature asking for an extension of time — "a couple weeks or more" — to address Yuan's criticism. Boeke explained that end-of-summer schedules and the multiple co-authors made it difficult to respond on time.

A day later, Lin was discovered dead in his office at National Taiwan University.

"Renowned scientist found dead, next to drug bottles," the headline in the Taipei Times said.

Even in his death, the Nature paper was a kind of shorthand for Lin's scientific success.

"A research team [Lin] led was featured in the scientific journal Nature in February for their discovery of the key mechanism for maintaining cell energy balance — believed to be linked to cellular aging and cancer," the newspaper said.

If there was a suicide note, it has not been made public, and it is difficult to know what went through Lin's mind at the end of his life. The apparent suicide and the e-mail to Yuan suggest only that Lin may have been distraught over the dispute; they do not prove that he acted improperly.

Shortly after the Nature paper appeared, Yuan hired lawyer Lynne Bernabei to challenge the way he was terminated at Hopkins.

In late August, Yuan asked the Nature editors again whether they would publish his criticism. Lin was dead, but Boeke and the others had had a month to respond, and Yuan hadn't heard a thing.

On Sept. 28, a Nature editor informed Yuan by e-mail that the journal was still waiting on a fuller response from Boeke and that "experiments are being done and probably a Correction written."

Such a correction has not appeared.

So as a last attempt, he figured he'd try the federal government, which paid for much of the research. But the government suggested that the threat to the federal research, if there was any, ended with Lin's death.

"It is our understanding that these allegations are being investigated by Johns Hopkins University," said the letter from the Office of Research Integrity.

Besides, it noted, the person responsible for the paper was Lin.

"Deceased respondents no longer pose a risk," the letter said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c84-11e2-82e8-61a46c2cde3d_story.html?hpid=z3

One person's doubts about the methodology for half of a nature paper does not imply any wrongdoing in the lab. Some skeptics doubt that fMRI can really tell you much about how the brain works, but many people still study it, and do so appropriately, and publish heavily. Nor does someone's suicide because of damage to one's professional reputation imply wrongdoing. It seems this article is standing on some shaky ground.

http://wingofzock.org/2013/07/08/pr...-when-it-comes-to-presenting-scientific-data/

So I have remained curious about this case and did some looking around since I was bored.
Evidently he is a surgery resident at Montefiore in NYC. Anyone know if he got some cash out the settlement. I am not an expert on surgery programs but this seems like quite a fall from
Hopkins. How huge of a loss is this for his career.

shrug, Monte's a good hospital

Although there is a chance he is a NDP since apparently montefiore takes PGY3 prelims...

Also, if I were that guy I think I would put my head down and try to just power through residency...not spend time blogging and increasing online presence after everything he's been through. Even the most innocuous blog can rub some people the wrong way.

Guys that put their out interests and years of work aside to the sideline for their priniciples make me go a big wet one

And that the knowledge of how undermined medicine is as a science as well as how dangerous and poorly efficacious its treatments are should make this less inportant or impressive?

Who cares that fMRI is vodoo like so much else in medicine, medicine was vodoo for the longest time and when it gets some science behind it its too late cause corporate interests have ruined it. Wow youre jaded, so cool

Stuff like this kills people and its preventable, people profit off it as well. Its so much more devious than first degree homocide as its instiutional and undermines our society more than an isolated first degree murder or even a random bombing at a marathon. It says its ok to kill if you can make a buck or invest time and money into it. The journal and the university are accomplices after the fact in my opinion, aiding and abetting while allowing the continued use of drug that should not be approved and has side effects to cause morbidity and mortality from its use and/or unnecessary implementation. Its fraud as well, using public resources carries a heavier penalty. 24 mill would be light

Guys that put their out interests and years of work aside to the sideline for their priniciples make me go a big wet one

And that the knowledge of how undermined medicine is as a science as well as how dangerous and poorly efficacious its treatments are should make this less inportant or impressive?

Who cares that fMRI is vodoo like so much else in medicine, medicine was vodoo for the longest time and when it gets some science behind it its too late cause corporate interests have ruined it. Wow youre jaded, so cool

Stuff like this kills people and its preventable, people profit off it as well. Its so much more devious than first degree homocide as its instiutional and undermines our society more than an isolated first degree murder or even a random bombing at a marathon. It says its ok to kill if you can make a buck or invest time and money into it. The journal and the university are accomplices after the fact in my opinion, aiding and abetting while allowing the continued use of drug that should not be approved and has side effects to cause morbidity and mortality from its use and/or unnecessary implementation. Its fraud as well, using public resources carries a heavier penalty. 24 mill would be light

It's a little to early to be that high isn't it?