First Aid 2009 errata

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apps-suck

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i havent found anything yet, anyone else?

yea i realize its early, but im sure theres someone out there whos been through the whole thing already

Members don't see this ad.

The published errata says that on p339, the "Most common (adult)" note should be moved from follicular lymphoma to diffuse large cell lymphoma. The text I'm using and some other sources are saying follicular is most common followed by diffuse large cell... did diffuse large cell just recently passed follicular lymphoma?

probably, as i remember learning follicular was MC in path
not something id worry about though

Has anyone ever actually gotten one of the gift certificates for pointing out errata?

The thing is, they say that you get one if you're the first to point something out, but even if you were the first, how would you know? They could just not send one to anybody and tell you that you weren't the first if you asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever actually gotten one of the gift certificates for pointing out errata?

The thing is, they say that you get one if you're the first to point something out, but even if you were the first, how would you know? They could just not send one to anybody and tell you that you weren't the first if you asked.

ive submitted bunches (that end up on next list too), no gift certificates! altho can't say for sure im the first :thumbdown:

thanks, and for the IB i think its activated and inactivated, just not resting??

on page 318 under Jaundice, if viral hepatitis is considered hepatocellular than i think urine urobilinogen would be increased

and FA says p 331 anti AB antibodies are IgM, so cant cross placenta, Goljan says there IgG and can (and thus have ABO Hemolytic Dz of Newborn)

For what it's worth, Wikipedia agrees with Goljan:

"Anti-A and anti-B antibodies are usually IgM type, which are not able to pass through the placenta to the fetal blood circulation. O-type individuals can produce IgG-type ABO antibodies."

p. 344 * Brachial plexus The unlabeled black-and-white image in the
third column should be labeled "Pope's blessing." (NEW PAGE = 352)

This isn't true. The picture is not the Pope's Blessing. That picture is about the test for Winged Scapula where you have the patient try to push a wall.

On pg 93 of FA 2009 the chromosomal inversion section says that pericentric inversions go through meiosis, but paracentric ones don't. I'm having trouble verifying this. Klug and Cummings in Concepts of Genetics seem to indicate that both go through meiosis, but that the gametes from pericentric inversions perhaps have a higher yield of viability.

Can anyone clarify this?

Page 230, diagrams on effects of autonomics on blood pressure

Maybe I'm just confused, but it seems like the top of the first two graphs where it says beta-1 it should be alpha-1. Am I correct? How exactly would a beta-1 effect lead to increasing the systolic pressure? This has got to be alpha-1 right? And then what would you relabel the alpha-1 on the first diagram as - beta-2?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Page 230, diagrams on effects of autonomics on blood pressure

Maybe I'm just confused, but it seems like the top of the first two graphs where it says beta-1 it should be alpha-1. Am I correct? How exactly would a beta-1 effect lead to increasing the systolic pressure? This has got to be alpha-1 right? And then what would you relabel the alpha-1 on the first diagram as - beta-2?

Any thoughts appreciated.

B1's increase systolic pressure by increasing contractility.

Hey!

So I've found a few errors in the first aid step2CK review book (not QandA), went to the website and couldn't find formal corrections. Do you guys have a list of the corrections? Thanks so much !~ :)

:xf:

From doctors in training

FA p154 - Chlamydia - Types L1, L2, L3 - The Frei test is an older test that is no longer used commercially.
FA p218 - Paraneoplastic effects of tumors - Erythropoietin elevation resulting in polycythemia may also be seen in hepatocellular carcinoma and pheochromocytoma (in addition to the already listed renal cell carcinoma and hemangioblastoma).
FA p218 - Oncogenic viruses - EBV also can cause Hodgkin's lymphoma and oral hairy leukoplakia.
FA p364 - Seronegative spondyloarthropathies - Add in Inflammatory Bowl Disease Arthritis to the list. PAIR is the mnemonic to remember these.
FA p493 - HLA-B27 - Add in Psoriatic Arthritis and Inflammatory Bowel Disease Arthritis to the list. PAIR is the mnemonic to remember these.
FA p494 - Hypochromic microcytosis - Add Thalassemia and Anemia of Chronic Disease (ACD). ACD is more often normocytic, but it can also be hypochromic/microcytic.
FA p499 - Most common esophageal cancer is squamous cell worldwide, but adenocarcinoma in the US.

Errors posted on 4-3-09 that remain unposted on the First Aid website (last updated 5-1-09):

FA p190 - Antibiotics to avoid in pregnancy - Erythromycin should be removed from this list as it is a class B in pregnancy. More specifically, erythromycin estolate should be avoided only in patients with current liver disease (not pregnancy) because of its potential for worsening liver damage.
FA p319 - Wilson's disease - remove "Choreiform movements" from the list of characteristic Wilson's features. Next to "Dementia" add Dyskinesia and Dysarthria.
FA p321 - Acute pancreatitis - Chronic calcifying pancreatitis section should refer the reader to Image #123
FA p333 - Lab values in anemia - "Transferrin/TIBC" should be replaced with "Transferrin or TIBC" since Transferrin is directly proportional to TIBC, and TIBC is roughly equal to transferrin x 1.4. As correctly stated, the "TIBC indirectly measures transferrin."
FA p343 - Aspirin - cross reference to additional section on Aspirin found on FA p369
FA p460 - Pregnancy - Lactation is induced by a "decrease in maternal progesterone" in the presence of high prolactin levels rather than a "decrease in maternal steroids."
FA p485 - Lung Cancer - Carcinoid tumor - carcinoid symptoms should include "Right-sided valvular disease" as correctly stated in additional Carcinoid section found on FA p291
FA p495 - Philadelphia chromosome (bcr-abl) - remove "AML" and replace with "ALL"
FA p498 - "Worst headache of my life" - should be "Subarachnoid hemorrhage" rather than "Berry aneurysm." To further clarify, the most common cause of subarachnoid hemorrhage is a ruptured berry aneurysm.
FA p501 - Most common type of non-Hodgkin's - should be "Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma" rather than "Follicular, small cleaved."
Errors posted on 3-18-09 that remain unposted on the First Aid website (last updated 5-1-09):

FA p183 - Sulfa drug allergies - Add "celecoxib and probenecid" to the list of sulfa drugs (see similar section in FA p236)
FA p236 - Sulfa drugs - Add "acetazolamide and sulfonamide antibiotics" to the list of sulfa drugs (see similar section in FA p183). And please note that while sumatriptan is structurally similar to sulfa drugs, it does not cause hypersensitivity reactions in sulfa allergic patients.
FA p266 - Bacterial endocarditis - (last sentence of section) Strep. bovis is found in 15% of colon cancer patients.
FA p286 - Cushing's syndrome - (right margin) The upward arrows may confuse the reader into thinking that dexamethasone will elevate cortisol levels in those scenarios. It would be more accurate to replace all of the upward arrows in the margin with "unchanged cortisol" or "no change in the abnormally elevated cortisol"
FA p406 - Primary brain tumors - Medulloblastomas do not have "perivascular pseudorosettes" but do have "Homer-Wright rosettes"
FA p467 - Malignant breast tumors - The editors mistakenly removed the section on risk factors for breast cancer which include female gender, age, early first menarche, not becoming pregnant before age 30, late menopause, breast cancer in a first degree relative, BRCA gene mutation, and prior breast cancer.
FA p470 - Penile pathology - Erythroplasia of Queyrat is not "similar to Bowen's disease" but rather "a form of Bowen's disease."
FA p499 - The most common brain tumor in kids is astrocytoma > medulloblastoma > ependymoma.

not sure on this one but on p 261, for smooth muscle cell migration in atherosclerosis... its PDGF for sure, but it lists FGF-beta too, should this be TGF-beta instead of FGF-beta??

For what it's worth, my cardiology book says "Substances released from foam cells, dysfunctional endothelial cells and platelets contribute to this process." (progression from the fatty streak involving migration and proliferation of SMCs) "IL-1, NO, PDFG, PGI2, TGF-beta, TNF-alpha." This would seem to agree that TGF-beta is involved and there is no mention of FGF-beta.

Obviously this won't be of much help to you, DizzyNT, but maybe to those reading these posts in preparation for the 2010 Step 1!

(fig. 5.6, pg. 127 "Pathophysiology of Heart Disease" Leonard S. Lilly (editor), 4th ed., LWW)

For what it's worth, my cardiology book says "Substances released from foam cells, dysfunctional endothelial cells and platelets contribute to this process." (progression from the fatty streak involving migration and proliferation of SMCs) "IL-1, NO, PDFG, PGI2, TGF-beta, TNF-alpha." This would seem to agree that TGF-beta is involved and there is no mention of FGF-beta.

Obviously this won't be of much help to you, DizzyNT, but maybe to those reading these posts in preparation for the 2010 Step 1!

(fig. 5.6, pg. 127 "Pathophysiology of Heart Disease" Leonard S. Lilly (editor), 4th ed., LWW)

Foam cells may not secrete FGF, but endothelial cell does, according to Schwartz's Principles of Surgery, 2004.

Hey guys,

Looking through my First Aid 2009 and listening to Goljan's lecture and in the renal section of first aid for membranoproliferative glomerularnephritis (MPGN) Type 1 it says that HBV causes it more than HCV, but Goljan says that HCV is the major cause. Anyone know whats the word on this? Is it HCV or HBV? Didn't see this on the errata. Thanks