First Aid for Step II CK vs. Boards and Wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottomlesspit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is it just me, or is FA for Step II CK scarily un-detailed? At least during my second IM rotation, I was trying to use FA for Step II CK to aid my studying, but I rarely found any answers to my questions in FA. Instead B&W always seemed to come through. But searching the old threads regarding books to study for Step II CK, everyone seems to highly rate FA and few people say anything about B&W. Any people willing to comment on B&W?

And also, how does one find the Kaplan subject books for Step II? I've heard they're somewhat overkill, but that they're incredibly thorough...

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So is it just me, or is FA for Step II CK scarily un-detailed? At least during my second IM rotation, I was trying to use FA for Step II CK to aid my studying, but I rarely found any answers to my questions in FA. Instead B&W always seemed to come through. But searching the old threads regarding books to study for Step II CK, everyone seems to highly rate FA and few people say anything about B&W. Any people willing to comment on B&W?

And also, how does one find the Kaplan subject books for Step II? I've heard they're somewhat overkill, but that they're incredibly thorough...

thanks!!

Just use what you prefer. Go with your gut. I have B&W and used it during my rotations and I liked it. However, I stuck with FA CK and secrets for step II b/c i read B&W already. ANd it was easier to annotate in FA CK vs. B&W b/c B&W is a small book. Regardless, lots of ppl. seem to use UW along with their preferred text.

I haven't used any of these two books before (although I've used FA Step 1 with great success), and I'm struggling to decide which one to stick with.
I like the style B&W is written in. It actually reads somewhat nicely and I can understand (and hopefully absorb) most of the things from my first reading.
However, I have found myself adding things here and there because I felt like it was missing some details.. Now these were things I had studied for Step 1 and I jotted them down after quickly referring to my dog-eared FA Step 1. I dunno yet how relevant these are to Step 2 CK but I did feel a little uneasy having to add things on my own during my first read.. I looked up relevant sections in FA Step 2 CK and some info was available there.. e.g., for PCOS, LH/FSH ratio being greater than 2:1, increased levels of androstenedione, DHEAS and decreased glucose/insulin ratio.. these were not written in B&W.

I am now somewhat confused which book to use as my "base book" in which I will start annotating notes from USMLEWorld, Qbank, etc. I know FA has more space, but I prefer B&W's style and the fact that I can use it for Step 3 without having to purchase another FA and start from scratch..

Thanks all for your input. :thumbup: