First Aid Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step1EKG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for those who already took Step 1 and got 240+. It's said all the time that active learning should be implemented, but I also often see that people are reading FA multiple times during dedicated.

Is it worth it to do 3-4 passes of FA via simply reading during my 4 weeks of dedicated while doing my 2nd pass of UW? I've done Pathoma 2x and most of Sketchy so I plan on doing a couple passes of each as well.

About me: above average student, did most of Bro's sporadically throughout MS2, about 70% through UW (average 62%, last 8 blocks about 75%), last was NBME 16 = 230.

Members don't see this ad.

This question is for those who already took Step 1 and got 240+. It's said all the time that active learning should be implemented, but I also often see that people are reading FA multiple times during dedicated.

Is it worth it to do 3-4 passes of FA via simply reading during my 4 weeks of dedicated while doing my 2nd pass of UW? I've done Pathoma 2x and most of Sketchy so I plan on doing a couple passes of each as well.

About me: above average student, did most of Bro's sporadically throughout MS2, about 70% through UW (average 62%, last 8 blocks about 75%), last was NBME 16 = 230.

I personally never found reading FA to be useful. I'm talking casually reading. Read a single page and tell me how much you remembered. Probably only the stuff you already knew.

A much better, and much easier way is to read the part of FA pertaining to a UWorld/NBME question you got wrong or got right but had difficulty with/doubts about. This capitalizes on priming. You will remember that part you read in FA because it's attached to an emotion you felt when you read it: uncertainty. When you get something wrong it stings. Even if you score a 99% you should be pissed you got that 1 question wrong, because it is within your capacity to get a 100%. I spent most of my dedicated angry at myself. It's not healthy I know, save that for your therapist, just demand the best from yourself.

Review FA as you are doing questions and you will be well on your way. Just do it every day.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally never found reading FA to be useful. I'm talking casually reading. Read a single page and tell me how much you remembered. Probably only the stuff you already knew.

A much better, and much easier way is to read the part of FA pertaining to a UWorld/NBME question you got wrong or got right but had difficulty with/doubts about. This capitalizes on priming. You will remember that part you read in FA because it's attached to an emotion you felt when you read it: uncertainty. When you get something wrong it stings. Even if you score a 99% you should be pissed you got that 1 question wrong, because it is within your capacity to get a 100%. I spent most of my dedicated angry at myself. It's not healthy I know, save that for your therapist, just demand the best from yourself.

Review FA as you are doing questions and you will be well on your way. Just do it every day.

That's crazy, I'm honestly the same way. I get angry when I get questions wrong lmao, and meticulously try to figure out which source wronged me. They never wrong me tho. :(

Reactions: 1 user