First Aid vs Step Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gcwils04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that First Aid seems to be the much more popular choice to prepare for Step 1, but has anyone used Step up to USMLE Step 1 instead of First Aid? As I am finishing up my classes I have been skimming through each to see which one I like better and honestly if I had to choose from what I have seen so far, I would go with Step Up. Any thoughts on the matter would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Step up only covers the organ systems. For example, there's no immunology, behavioral science, biochemistry, pharm etc. etc. First Aid is popular because it's complete.

let me just say this: it would be a huge mistake to walk into the board exam without having gone through first aid. Absolutely everyone of everyone has at least read it once.

So what does that mean? Use Step Up as a supplement to FA

Lol I remember some of the geniuses in my class lying to me saying they don't need FA, but then later on I caught them off guard with the book. I remember noticing how it was so packed with notes that the page didn't even look white anymore!

Step Up is not a bad book, but due to its relative lack of breadth vs. First Aid, I don't see a role for it in one's plan.

I have heard of people who used it instead of First Aid; I don't know how they did but I don't think it's a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like step up too. But Ive decided to stick to FA. I read step up and added notes to my FA. The Step up Endocrine section is better than FA.

First Aid is the ultimate source and everything else (RR path, RR biochem, Step Up, etc) are secondary. I do read Step Up (it's a quick read), but I don't annotate in it.

Step Up is really nice because it has so many pictures - which works well for that type of learner. However, FA should be your foundation and if you have the time and energy then utilize Step Up with it.