• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

gcwils04

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I know that First Aid seems to be the much more popular choice to prepare for Step 1, but has anyone used Step up to USMLE Step 1 instead of First Aid? As I am finishing up my classes I have been skimming through each to see which one I like better and honestly if I had to choose from what I have seen so far, I would go with Step Up. Any thoughts on the matter would be great.

polyposis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Step up only covers the organ systems. For example, there's no immunology, behavioral science, biochemistry, pharm etc. etc. First Aid is popular because it's complete.

underthebridge

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
let me just say this: it would be a huge mistake to walk into the board exam without having gone through first aid. Absolutely everyone of everyone has at least read it once.

So what does that mean? Use Step Up as a supplement to FA

Lol I remember some of the geniuses in my class lying to me saying they don't need FA, but then later on I caught them off guard with the book. I remember noticing how it was so packed with notes that the page didn't even look white anymore!

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Step Up is not a bad book, but due to its relative lack of breadth vs. First Aid, I don't see a role for it in one's plan.

I have heard of people who used it instead of First Aid; I don't know how they did but I don't think it's a good idea.

About the Ads

sade

Primary care on my mind
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2007
US of America
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I like step up too. But Ive decided to stick to FA. I read step up and added notes to my FA. The Step up Endocrine section is better than FA.

ijcMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
First Aid is the ultimate source and everything else (RR path, RR biochem, Step Up, etc) are secondary. I do read Step Up (it's a quick read), but I don't annotate in it.

gouda

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Step Up is really nice because it has so many pictures - which works well for that type of learner. However, FA should be your foundation and if you have the time and energy then utilize Step Up with it.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.