First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacobyellz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the edition matter? I'll be taking my Step 1 in March 2015. I currently have the 2012 First Aid. Is an upgrade really necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the edition matter? I'll be taking my Step 1 in March 2015. I currently have the 2012 First Aid. Is an upgrade really necessary?
yes.

They catch mistakes and add more info that best reflects the current exam. Just cough up the money. It is a small price compared to what a bad Step 1 means in your medical career.

Reactions: 2 users
2012 first aid is the worst possible one to have haha

This is accurate. You might be able to get away with 2013 (which you could definitely get for cheaper), but I 2012 had a lot of issues. I believe 2014 is a bit better than 2013, but that's only based on anecdotal statements from med students I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's $40 - you pay loads in tuition every semester, and you're complaining about having to spend another 40 dollars?

Although FA2012 was littered with errors, at least it had the lac operon, which these past two years' editions forewent. We're putting a beastly lac operon entry back into FA15 though.

And would have to agree that cost is never a good argument when it comes to Step1 (unless that involves saving money on a worthless Kaplan course).

Reactions: 1 user
Although FA2012 was littered with errors, at least it had the lac operon, which these past two years' editions forewent. We're putting a beastly lac operon entry back into FA15 though.

And would have to agree that cost is never a good argument when it comes to Step1 (unless that involves saving money on a worthless Kaplan course).

i didn't have any lac operon questions, can't speak for others

i didn't have any lac operon questions, can't speak for others
A positive n=1 experience is more likely to result in something added to the book than a single negative experience is to result in something being removed. I'm guessing enough people still get questions based on it (for whatever reason).