First and second year GPAs both 3.0 - should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first year GPA was 3.0, and my second year GPA is likely going to be 3.0, if not 3.3. I've not failed any courses, but I hit a rough patch in my life and I got a 50 in one of them. Just barely passed.

I'm writing the MCAT this August. Am I pretty much screwed at this point?

If it makes any difference, I'm Canadian (Ontario).

Members don't see this ad.

You're not competitive for MD schools in the US (those that accept non-citizens). You might have some luck with some DO programs. If you're in your 3rd year, I'd wait until year 4 to take the MCAT.

My first year GPA was 3.0, and my second year GPA is likely going to be 3.0, if not 3.3. I've not failed any courses, but I hit a rough patch in my life and I got a 50 in one of them. Just barely passed.

I'm writing the MCAT this August. Am I pretty much screwed at this point?

If it makes any difference, I'm Canadian (Ontario).

You're not competitive for MD schools in the US (those that accept non-citizens). You might have some luck with some DO programs. If you're in your 3rd year, I'd wait until year 4 to take the MCAT.

I'm finishing up second year in April. How much would an excellent MCAT score help?

It won't for MD schools, but will for DO programs. There's a common misconception among pre-meds that a high MCAT will make up for a low GPA for MD schools. It won't...it's a seller's market.

I'm finishing up second year in April. How much would an excellent MCAT score help?

Reactions: 1 user