First Assignment OCONUS (Hohenfels) what to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Army here, I found out my first duty station will be at Hohenfels Germany, any recommendations? Also, can someone explain any differences to pay so I can get a better idea what the actual pay is for there? As I understand it you don’t get BAS but you do get an equivalent, as well as some sort of overseas adjustment, correct? Anything you may have fished you knew before headed over there?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Enjoy it, you’re in Germany! You’ll get COLA, which is some added money to make up for the euro/dollar conversion. It changes month to month.

How did you score Germany straight out? That sounds like a blast.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you score Germany straight out? That sounds like a blast.
Well I applied for the AEGD, but didn’t get it, I was then given a set of locations and told to rank them. I put Germany at the top of my list and then a few weeks later they said you’re assignment will be Hohenfels.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I applied for the AEGD, but didn’t get it, I was then given a set of locations and told to rank them. I put Germany at the top of my list and then a few weeks later they said you’re assignment will be Hohenfels.
What locations were available?

I'm was in the same position as you! I applied for a 1-year AEGD and didn't get in. I got Germany as my first duty station as well. So if you are OCONUS you will receive something called an OAH which is basically the same as BAH except for people in OCONUS bases. The amount of OAH you get will depend on your rank and the average rent fees in your city/area. For example, in the place where I am at, OAH for single captains is about 1700 euros so whatever the US dollar amount for that would be is what I am getting. There is a website you can go to in order to see how much OAH you will get. I think if you just google OAH you can find the information. During in-processing they will explain everything to you so I would ask finance and housing offices at your duty station for more information when you arrive there. Since you didn't do an AEGD you will be on something called a FPPE which is basically 3 months where a more experienced dentist will oversee you and check your dental work. All 63A's who didn't do an AEGD apparently go through this program apparently. Germany overall is great so far! Due to COVID it is difficult to travel but there are lots of beautiful trails. I'm saving up my leave days until COVID calms down so that I can explore europe.

Hello, Army here, I found out my first duty station will be at Hohenfels Germany, any recommendations? Also, can someone explain any differences to pay so I can get a better idea what the actual pay is for there? As I understand it you don’t get BAS but you do get an equivalent, as well as some sort of overseas adjustment, correct? Anything you may have fished you knew before headed over there?
I'm at Hohenfels right now if you had any specific questions. Here's the monthly pay breakdown for year one with April 2021 numbers for a single O3 <2 years time served:
Base: 4514.70
BAS: 266.18
BAH: 2328.81
SAVE: 1666.66
COLA: 498.67
On your pay stub it will say BAH but it is actually OHA. Overseas Housing Allowance. The difference is that they give you a set amount for BAH and you pocket the difference if you choose a cheaper lease. With OHA, you sign a lease and they give you that exact amount monthly (capped at a maximum) plus a utilities stipend. Landlords are typically well aware of the OHA maximums so usually they are inflated to max out your OHA.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I am PCSing to Hohenfels Germany too. I sent you a message.