First bad encounter with formalin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucky manu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a med student and we have started dissecting last month. It was all fine until today when accidentally my friend pulled the cover of the cadaver and formalin splashed over my face and even went in my eye. I guess a little in my mouth and nose. I am okay now but I doubt of future consequences. Will there be any problems in future.? I have excess saliva production since then not sure if itz due to the disgust. And I can feel the smell when I inhale deeply.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked it up on WebMD. Looks like cancer.

Reactions: 9 users
You'll be fine. Formaldehyde is a preservative as well as a disinfectant. You're most likely not going to be getting sick from anything the cadaver might have had, if that's what you're worried about. And you'd have to drink more than a few drops to have a reaction to the formaldehyde itself.

We were dissecting pigs back in the day when my friend gave the heart a good solid lick. Not sure why he did it, it was gross, but he was fine.

Dissecting as an undergrad, I pulled a bit too hard on a flap of skin, which snapped and somehow splashed my partner directly in the mouth with a sizable formalin/body fluid cocktail. I'm guessing he went through a case of mouthwash that week. I felt pretty bad, but later that day I accidentally stabbed my thumb with a scalpel. We're both fine a year later and have not turned into zombies or anything.

I am a med student and we have started dissecting last month. It was all fine until today when accidentally my friend pulled the cover of the cadaver and formalin splashed over my face and even went in my eye. I guess a little in my mouth and nose. I am okay now but I doubt of future consequences. Will there be any problems in future.? I have excess saliva production since then not sure if itz due to the disgust. And I can feel the smell when I inhale deeply.

You'll probably be fine. I've splashed myself in anatomy lab in the face, and have scraped myself with a bone saw and cut myself on a sharp piece of rib. You can get checked out if you like if you're really bothered by it.

You'll probably be fine. I've splashed myself in anatomy lab in the face, and have scraped myself with a bone saw and cut myself on a sharp piece of rib. You can get checked out if you like if you're really bothered by it.
I put eye drops to cleanse. But the thing worrying me is if there would be any effects on my skin

I know
Dissecting as an undergrad, I pulled a bit too hard on a flap of skin, which snapped and somehow splashed my partner directly in the mouth with a sizable formalin/body fluid cocktail. I'm guessing he went through a case of mouthwash that week. I felt pretty bad, but later that day I accidentally stabbed my thumb with a scalpel. We're both fine a year later and have not turned into zombies or anything.
I know I won't die but it still scares me coz it splashed on my FACE. So I m worried about any damage to my skin

Th
You'll be fine. Formaldehyde is a preservative as well as a disinfectant. You're most likely not going to be getting sick from anything the cadaver might have had, if that's what you're worried about. And you'd have to drink more than a few drops to have a reaction to the formaldehyde itself.

We were dissecting pigs back in the day when my friend gave the heart a good solid lick. Not sure why he did it, it was gross, but he was fine.
Thanx,. Dat was kinda encouraging.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know

I know I won't die but it still scares me coz it splashed on my FACE. So I m worried about any damage to my skin
face-melt-o.gif

:scared:

Reactions: 7 users
I put eye drops to cleanse. But the thing worrying me is if there would be any effects on my skin

The only way to alleviate your anxiety is to see your PCP. None of us can do that on a forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Not trying to make light of you getting splashed in the face by cadaver juices, but... We all can't help but notice that you joined SDN today just to post about this. You may be slightly overreacting, so you should expect a few sarcastic remarks here. ;)

My cadaver sprayed formalin/body juice into my mouth on day 1 of med school last year. It was salty.

I've been fine so far.

I guess I'd be most concerned about it getting in your eye. On an slightly unrelated note, I got ethidium bromide in my eye once and became the only person in my lab to have ever used the eye wash in its 40 year history. I was famous!

My cadaver sprayed formalin/body juice into my mouth on day 1 of med school last year. It was salty.

I've been fine so far.

I guess I'd be most concerned about it getting in your eye. On an slightly unrelated note, I got ethidium bromide in my eye once and became the only person in my lab to have ever used the eye wash in its 40 year history. I was famous!

images

I've been fine so far.

I'd be more concerned about your cadaver's ability to execute complex movements..

TIME TO CHANGE YOUR NAME TO UNLUCKY MANU

I've been fine so far.

That's why you point the penis away from you at all times