First big purchase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
an Omega watch. I like my Toyota Camry and don't care so much about luxury cars. It rocks in terms of gas mileage. :thumbup: My first big purchase will be a home or condo. Probably in Las Vegas. There's a good buyer's market to capitalize on. Now is the time to buy homes!

Members don't see this ad.

Well...I plan on graduating while I'm still 22, so probably save a few years, then buy a house and an Audi S5.

...or maybe an R8
3gears.gif
You're only young once, right?

Oh yeah...I really like the R8!!

whats up with all these camaros.. why no cobras?
My mother and brother always have had mustangs, so i went against the grain and have owned 4 or 5 camaros. I love them...even built a couple for some amature drag racing! My brother had a 03 or 04 cobra and man those are pretty sweet cars too! I currently have a 97 Z that I've done cam/headwork/exhaust/few other things...it runs high 12s in the quarter. Not too shabby.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell no....why does anyone need a nice watch??? Cell phone tells time just fine. I like to think that people who desire nice watch suffers terribly from inferiority complex....

Apparently, you are too young and immature to think that a watch is only good for telling time.

You guys have posted some awesome toys!

I think I'll take one of each... :cool:

Apparently, you are too young and immature to think that a watch is only good for telling time.

that's a good one.. :smuggrin:

Ok old man...so what other purpose does a watch serve?

that's a good one.. :smuggrin:

Ok old man...so what other purpose does a watch serve?

Let me put it this way. It's like a car. Why buy a ferrari when a toyota corolla can take you to the same place. Or why buy Banana Republic/J Crew, 7 for mankind.. etc, if walmart clothes does the same job. Or why buy a $1000 watch when a $10 watch will do the same? If only getting to the destination is important for you then its apparent. But if the process is just as important as the end result then you have your answer.

Let me put it this way. It's like a car. Why buy a ferrari when a toyota corolla can take you to the same place. Or why buy Banana Republic/J Crew, 7 for mankind.. etc, if walmart clothes does the same job. Or why buy a $1000 watch when a $10 watch will do the same? If only getting to the destination is important for you then its apparent. But if the process is just as important as the end result then you have your answer.

Not quite. Ferrari will take you to the same place.. little faster and it's heckuva lot more fun. I'm not opposed to Walmart clothing... I own some.

But there is absolutely no difference between time told by a $1,000 watch versus $50 Fossil.. When it's 11:15, it's 11:15 no matter what.

So you mean to tell me using a $1,000 watch requires a different process??

I'm not opposed to you buying a $10,000 watch if you wish.. and if you appreciate fine workmanship of a swiss quartz.. more power to you. But you're definitely not buying a watch for the purpose of telling time. You're more interested in a piece of jewelry.

What I oppose is your statment of "every professional should own a nice watch.."

Not quite. Ferrari will take you to the same place.. little faster and it's heckuva lot more fun. I'm not opposed to Walmart clothing... I own some.

But there is absolutely no difference between time told by a $1,000 watch versus $50 Fossil.. When it's 11:15, it's 11:15 no matter what.

So you mean to tell me using a $1,000 watch requires a different process??

How is a ferrari going to take you to a place faster than any other car? You think you can go 140 mph wherever you please? I'm sure its alot more fun and have people looking your way. And what is the end result? You feel good correct? Just like having a nice watch wil turn heads but that wouldn't require spending +$150,000 to get.

How is a ferrari going to take you to a place faster than any other car? You think you can go 140 mph wherever you please? I'm sure its alot more fun and have people looking your way. And what is the end result? You feel good correct? Just like having a nice watch wil turn heads but that wouldn't require spending +$150,000 to get.

Oh I see... you want the nice watch to turn heads... and to feel god.. why didn't you say so.

I don't know what it means to feel good...I don't own a ferrari nor a nice watch.. and never ever turn heads..

What I oppose is your statment of "every professional should own a nice watch.."

Whats wrong with my statement? I'm not telling you to get one. I'm merely suggesting that when someone graduates and settles, they should invest in a nice watch. It doesn't have to be the price of a car or such, just one that shows how hard you've struggled to get to where you are and you're rewarding yourself. Unlike any other things in life, a good watch, if taken care of can last a very long time and it will still look good.

Whats wrong with my statement? I'm not telling you to get one. I'm merely suggesting that when someone graduates and settles, they should invest in a nice watch. It doesn't have to be the price of a car or such, just one that shows how hard you've struggled to get to where you are and you're rewarding yourself. Unlike any other things in life, a good watch, if taken care of can last a very long time and it will still look good.

What's wrong with a $50 Fossil?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see... you want the nice watch to turn heads... and to feel god.. why didn't you say so.

I don't know what it means to feel good...I don't own a ferrari nor a nice watch.. and never ever turn heads..

Now you're being sarcastic and you know what they say about that :D

No, I'm going to save up for a ferrari.

Yeah... $10-15k out of pocket a year for maintenance.. That's nothing for a pharmacist's salary..

Just messing epic, I would love one too. 599 GTB is my dream car. That's what lottery tickets are for :laugh:

Yeah... $10-15k out of pocket a year for maintenance.. That's nothing for a pharmacist's salary..

Ferrari/lambo for me is my ultimate goal.

Almost bought a 96 black/tan 355 before the viper, but backed out due to maintence. Engine out services and failing valve guides resulting in 10k service bills had me looking elsewhere.

Ill own one someday, but not for quite some time.

Ferrari/lambo for me is my ultimate goal.

Almost bought a 96 black/tan 355 before the viper, but backed out due to maintence. Engine out services and failing valve guides resulting in 10k service bills had me looking elsewhere.

Ill own one someday, but not for quite some time.

Yup... looking at 355...

And call me crazy..but I like Mondial.

And that's 5 cute girls..not 4. Can't you count by fives?

But one of these will do.

f355allthreeredxp3.jpg

And that's 5 cute girls..not 4. Can't you count by fives?

You post quicker than I can edit. (missed the driver, who looks more like shes in the middle of a spasm)

355 is where its at. Throw a tubi or capristo on it and it sounds nothing short of an F1 car.

boooo, skip the ugly older ferraris and go for a ford GT or a murcielago. Those 2 would top my expensive car list.

boooo, skip the ugly older ferraris and go for a ford GT or a murcielago. Those 2 would top my expensive car list.

I would get the porsche gt. err. doubt any pharmacist can afford one though.

I'd buy a Mercedes if it could do this on a regular basis. It would be really freakin' awesome to drive upside down. :p

1.jpeg

A telescope. A frikkin big one.

By the time I'm done I will have spent so many nights up studying that I would like to be able to go out after work and just do nothing other than enjoying existence.

Poor souls... bombarded with ads since they were infants; defenseless against our cruel consumerist society and never having a chance at a joyous life.

Well, to make things worse.

Anything less than this:

Lamborghini_Revent%C3%B3n.jpg

means you fail. Ferrari, Aston Martin, other Lamborghinis? Hah! Losers...

Here is the sexy Lamborghini Reventon. It'll cost you $1 million Euros and there's only 20 of them being made. Oh, and they were all sold before the car was even announced at the 07' Frankfurt show.

Oh, and even if you do manage to get one, you'll only feel like 2nd best when the newer, sexier one comes out in a year and a half.

Point is, you'll never be happy trying to have the most exclusive toys. You have to understand that material possessions don't define who you are. Your profession shouldn't define who you are. It's just a job unless you let it take over your life.

It seems like Epicurus had a better handle on happiness over 2,000 years ago.

1) Enough money to be financially free. That term is a bit sketchy because to some people today, financial freedom means being able to buy a yacht. But to Epicurus it was simply being self sufficient. Not having to beg or rely on others for sustenance.

2) Friends. It's not enough to simply have friends but you must be surrounded by them. Live with them! Life doesn't wait for you to plan social gatherings to "happen". I feel sorry for those who live alone with their spouse and miss out on the lifetimes of special moments with all of your friends. This is why my friends and I plan to buy a modest mansion together and it's still significantly less than if we were to buy single homes separately.

3) Free time to be able to kick back, take a swig of cold beer and appreciate how lucky you are.

I doubt I will even be breaking $1,000 a month living lavishly after I graduate. I'm doing it for a lot less now but with a Pharmacist's salary I'll be able to save up for spontaneous trips around the world or just local adventures that don't cost anything. Not to mention be able to let my working-class parents relax and discover a life where you don't need to worry about putting food on the table.

As you can see from some other posts, many people truly enjoy paying $10,000 for a watch or $200,000 for a car. To me, that's just a testament to Rolex and Ferrari's Advertising & Marketing team. They get you to pay for something you don't need and is overpriced but makes you feel good about it. That's bloody brilliant. But also sad.

Be yourself, conformity is an ugly thing. Putting effort into getting laid is one thing. But when it comes to a real relationship, just be yourself. Because there are people who are going to love you just the way you are but you'll never find them if you don't reveal yourself.

And one last thing. I don't know what happens after we die but I do know it won't include any suffering. People who try to tell you otherwise are just refusing to think things through.

Cheers :thumbup:

Poor souls... bombarded with ads since they were infants; defenseless against our cruel consumerist society and never having a chance at a joyous life.

Anything less than this:

Here is the sexy Lamborghini Reventon. It'll cost you $1 million Euros and there's only 20 of them being made. Oh, and they were all sold before the car was even announced at the 07' Frankfurt show.

Oh, and even if you do manage to get one, you'll only feel like 2nd best when the newer, sexier one comes out in a year and a half.

Point is, you'll never be happy trying to have the most exclusive toys. You have to understand that material possessions don't define who you are. Your profession shouldn't define who you are. It's just a job unless you let it take over your life.

1) Enough money to be financially free. That term is a bit sketchy because to some people today, financial freedom means being able to buy a yacht. But to Epicurus it was simply being self sufficient. Not having to beg or rely on others for sustenance.

2) Friends. It's not enough to simply have friends but you must be surrounded by them. Live with them! Life doesn't wait for you to plan social gatherings to "happen". I feel sorry for those who live alone with their spouse and miss out on the lifetimes of special moments with all of your friends. This is why my friends and I plan to buy a modest mansion together and it's still significantly less than if we were to buy single homes separately.

3) Free time to be able to kick back, take a swig of cold beer and appreciate how lucky you are.

I doubt I will even be breaking $1,000 a month living lavishly after I graduate. I'm doing it for a lot less now but with a Pharmacist's salary I'll be able to save up for spontaneous trips around the world or just local adventures that don't cost anything. Not to mention be able to let my working-class parents relax and discover a life where you don't need to worry about putting food on the table.

As you can see from some other posts, many people truly enjoy paying $10,000 for a watch or $200,000 for a car. To me, that's just a testament to Rolex and Ferrari's Advertising & Marketing team. They get you to pay for something you don't need and is overpriced but makes you feel good about it. That's bloody brilliant. But also sad.

Be yourself, conformity is an ugly thing. Putting effort into getting laid is one thing. But when it comes to a real relationship, just be yourself. Because there are people who are going to love you just the way you are but you'll never find them if you don't reveal yourself.

And one last thing. I don't know what happens after we die but I do know it won't include any suffering. People who try to tell you otherwise are just refusing to think things through.

Well said. It is truly amazing to me how people seem to spend up to their income no matter how much you make...my wife and I make 70,000 yet with a modest house, a couple cars, a daughter (daycare = very expensive), plus school loans and some credit and blah blah...we pretty much live paycheck to paycheck. I don't believe in buying a 200K car or a half million dollar house (I find the 10,000 watch thing especially absurd!)...It just irritates me that we've worked so hard for the last decade (I'm 31) and I literally can't afford to buy new clothes or go out to a nice dinner. I have nothing special or luxerious right now, just the basics. Simply put, I just want to make enough money to have a car that doesn't break down on the way to work once a month and to be able to live a comfortable life. Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound like I've got it bad or anything because that's furthest from the truth! I consider myself lucky every day. Simply put, I just think materialism is a selfish waste. I'm not saying I won't buy a new car, but c'mon, who the hell really needs a 400,000 ferrari?

Well said. It is truly amazing to me how people seem to spend up to their income no matter how much you make...

Yeah, like they say, "it's not how much money you make, but how much you save."

How could anyone not appreciate a $10,000 watch? It's a magnificent work of art that would make even the great Michelangelo jealous.

I've saved up my entire life to finally able to buy a $18200 watch + tax. And let me tell you, it turns heads every time I go out with it.

That is one ugly watch.. that would certainly turn my head.

How could anyone not appreciate a $10,000 watch? It's a magnificent work of art that would make even the great Michelangelo jealous.

I've saved up my entire life to finally able to buy a $18200 watch + tax. And let me tell you, it turns heads every time I go out with it.

There's no wayyyyy that watch cost $18 K!

There's no wayyyyy that watch cost $18 K!

You're absolutely correct that it doesn't cost $18K. $18,200 + $1,410.50 tax = $19,610.50

I'm glad you could tell the difference between a $18,000 watch and a superior $19,610.50 gem.

I'm pretty sure that watch only costs about 120 dollars, not 19,000+

I've I'm spending good money on a watch I don't want some poorly (mechanically) designed hunk of metal on my wrist. I want something well made with unique features
nm1082c-saj-night.jpg

for instance :)
And if the crystal isn't made of sapphire, (with very rare exception) I will barely take a second look.
edit: btw for anyone interested, the lighting is tritium so it is always 'lit' with a 1/2 life of 12.3 years or so.

That bokeh looks photoshopped :thumbdown:

haha but i really only see two cute girls, the others seem....just okay

tsk tsk epic i expected better from you :cool:

It aint about the girls... and that's probably not the best bokeh.. I would say between f5.6 and 8 maybe? I didn't take the picture..

Talk about some serious bokeh with 85mm f1.8.. I do think 85mm 1.2L has the best bokeh of all and believe it's the best portrait lens.

The coolest watch I ever saw was a casio that had a calculator on the face. Man that was the bomb when I was a kid. I wonder if I could find one on e-bay?

It aint about the girls... and that's probably not the best bokeh.. I would say between f5.6 and 8 maybe? I didn't take the picture..

Talk about some serious bokeh with 85mm f1.8.. I do think 85mm 1.2L has the best bokeh of all and believe it's the best portrait lens.

That pic is definitely photoshopped, look at the girls arm in the back with the cellphone in the air. Blatant.

One thing every professional needs is a nice watch.
I think a watch is a nice idea! I actually bought a new one as a graduation gift to myself. It's fancy (to me) compared to watches I've owned in the past, but not too flashy!

As far as loans go... I plan to have mine paid off within 6 months. Then the goal is to save up enough to put towards a different house so that even though we're getting a nicer place our payments will stay in the same ballpark. I don't want to be "house poor!"

When I was younger I would have probably raced out and bought a fancy car right away, but now my home is more important. I still like to have a nice car, but dependability is more important to me than flash at this point. With that being said, I'd love to have a new luxury vehicle, but my Honda does the job just fine. :thumbup:

great idea on buying a huge mansion with other pharm friends after graduation. i might have to investigate that more!

but in all honesty, i just want to have a maid. i hate having a dirty place, but i hate cleaning even more. if i can no ever have to clean/ do laundry my entire life i would be set.

Anything less than this:

Lamborghini_Revent%C3%B3n.jpg

What are you talking about? Defining yourself with material possesions?

Some of us like cars and watches because we appreciate the engineering and design behind the creation. Much like a sculpture or painting a car or watch is something that can be marveled at and enjoyed on many levels. I bought a viper because I like cars. I enjoy working on them and racing them and it brings joy into my life. I could care less about watches and dont own any, but I wouldnt put down someone because they bought an expensive watch. As long as it makes them happy I think thats perfectly cool.

You post as if people buying expensive things are caught up in materialism and miss the finer points of life. Maybe some, but not all. I have a loving family a great girlfriend and could hang out with a different buddy every day of the week, all before I had a viper or any money for that matter.

Dont be a hater.

To each their own.

That bokeh looks photoshopped :thumbdown:

haha but i really only see two cute girls, the others seem....just okay

tsk tsk epic i expected better from you :cool:

I see 0 cute girls. :)

bootleg rolex from Mexico FTW! save mucho dinero.

I haven't worn a watch for 15 yrs. No interest, they don't impress me.

I like cars though.......but after my new car I got after graduation has been rear-ended once (bumper cracked), rear smashed by a hit-and-run, multiple paint chips from driving on the highway, huge scratch on moonroof and huge paint chip by flying rock on the highway, scratched rim from a f-ing drive up lane - I realized it's probably not worth it to have a nice car. Try to keep it washed/waxed/looking nice and it gets dirty in two days.
Be alot less pissed about it if I was driving something cheaper.

It's nice to have one nice car, but I think I'm over it. I'll be fine with something cheaper, maybe a used Audi, Mazda6, or 4runner. Then again, might splurge on an Acura TL type S though....