First day as a pharmacist... And it was horrible :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alchemist9

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!



I'm here to share my story and hopefully get some advices from other people who might have gone through what I am going though.



I graduated this year from pharmacy and recently found a job. I had my first day as a pharmacist yesterday, and gosh it was a mess! For some reason, I couldn't seem to focus on what I was doing. I would read the prescription and forget what I read 2 seconds later. I kind of had my head in the clouds the entire time. I arrived home with a bad head ache and felt intense mental fatigue. What's bugging me is that I didn't have any difficult or complex cases; it was just me verifying renewals and simple new prescriptions.



I am very scared of doing mistakes! I have let some mistakes pass in my intern, which leads me to think I am just inattentive at work. I am wondering what to do before my next work shift. I feel like I am underperforming compared to my other graduate friends.



What do my fellow pharmacist friends think about that? Thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New Grad Here. Just Licensed end of August and have been working since then. What helps me verify new Rx is to double check to see if the medication is a completely brand new med or just a renewal. Especially for renewals, I like to double check the dosing to see if anything is changed. If the doctor increases or decreases the dose or changes the medication, I will put a note on the label to ask the patient when they pick up. Otherwise, just try to keep a standard way of checking (ex. Name/Dob, then check drug and directions, then quantity, refills, doctor). For tablets and capsules check the image of the pill or otherwise verify the NDC of the drug to the package and expiration date and quantity. For controls, always check the date written and make sure DEA is on there and it's not early to fill.
 
What company do you work for?

I am from Quebec, Canada. So I work in a Pharmaprix.

New Grad Here. Just Licensed end of August and have been working since then. What helps me verify new Rx is to double check to see if the medication is a completely brand new med or just a renewal. Especially for renewals, I like to double check the dosing to see if anything is changed. If the doctor increases or decreases the dose or changes the medication, I will put a note on the label to ask the patient when they pick up. Otherwise, just try to keep a standard way of checking (ex. Name/Dob, then check drug and directions, then quantity, refills, doctor). For tablets and capsules check the image of the pill or otherwise verify the NDC of the drug to the package and expiration date and quantity. For controls, always check the date written and make sure DEA is on there and it's not early to fill.

I put up "verification algorithm" with my pharmacists friend that I will follow during my next work shift to keep myself structured. I think it will help me a lot. Thanks for your advices!
 
Hello everyone!



I'm here to share my story and hopefully get some advices from other people who might have gone through what I am going though.



I graduated this year from pharmacy and recently found a job. I had my first day as a pharmacist yesterday, and gosh it was a mess! For some reason, I couldn't seem to focus on what I was doing. I would read the prescription and forget what I read 2 seconds later. I kind of had my head in the clouds the entire time. I arrived home with a bad head ache and felt intense mental fatigue. What's bugging me is that I didn't have any difficult or complex cases; it was just me verifying renewals and simple new prescriptions.



I am very scared of doing mistakes! I have let some mistakes pass in my intern, which leads me to think I am just inattentive at work. I am wondering what to do before my next work shift. I feel like I am underperforming compared to my other graduate friends.



What do my fellow pharmacist friends think about that? Thanks!!
You shouldn't be making that many mistakes. Quit the profession before you kill someone.
 
Make yourself a checklist (physically write it down) if you need to and go through and verify those items every time in the same order.

E.g.,
- Patient name
- Patient DOB
- Medication name
- Medication strength
- Sig
- Qty - is it right and does it make sense with the directions and days supply?
- Refills
- Days supply
- Does this RX make clinical sense? (I don't know what computer system you're working with, but hopefully the major stuff like drug-drug, drug-disease, drug-gender, unusual dosing, etc. interactions are being flagged for you already)

After doing that for several scripts, you'll have the flow down and you can follow your own mental checklist. You need to train yourself to follow some sort of system because yes, otherwise you will get distracted and lose your train of thought and miss things.
 
You never had a retail rotation at Walgreens? I spent the majority of mine at the register... Free labor for them.

To be fair my school tells all rotations sites not to waste our time by putting us at a register even in P1. So instead they just make us count lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be fair my school tells all rotations sites not to waste our time by putting us at a register even in P1. So instead they just make us count lol.

At least with Walgreens the register combined phones and drop off. So I got good training with insurance rejects and stuff.
 
I'm a new pharmacist as well and I'm training right now. Things are going badly for me 😢
First day, I didn't get any computer training because the modules weren't on my account, so they stuck me in the pharmacy. The pharmacist with me explained things okay, but it was just all so new to me so I didn't really know what I was doing. I did a few f1s and I was comfortable with that and of course doing transfers and taking new Rx. The things I don't like is that random things that pop up when doing F1s like TPR, etc. Then she kicked me out to take a lunch break. I left for like 5 min and came back in. I was assigned at the cash register. THIS IS WHEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE FOR ME! The person who explained the system to me didn't do it very well- but I don't want to blame her, I never worked a register before so I will catch on slowly. Anyways, I was given like a 30 second walk through of the register and then I started taking customers. I kept messing up so bad because I didn't know there were multiple bins that the Rx can be in, whenever "check ID" was presented on the cash register I would ask for it but not record it on the clipboard (I forgot I had to write those things down, it wasn't until like the 4th customer when I remembered), then there was a cap on one Rx and I got someone to help me with it but didn't know what to do with it fully as in, I didn't mention the major interaction to the patient and I feel like I should have- the reason I didn't was because I felt confused on what buttons to press, and I was just so slow doing the cash register. That was upsetting. During that whole ordeal, I over heard a tech and pharm talking about me and how that I got no experience and that I moved from my home town for the job and they were talking about how they thought I wouldn't be able to work at my home store. I'm glad I heard them say that though because now I know how bad I am. I hope I don't get fired because I did sign a 12 year lease on my apt that I can only pay for with this job. I do regret not doing an internship in retail. I wasn't able to because I wasn't available in the summer of p1 and p2 year to do training. I should have tried harder to find a retail internship though. I took an internship in a hospital instead and that of course was super useless, since hospitals only hire people who have pharmacist experience.
I hope I can get through this.

EDIT: I know I made a lot of grammar mistakes, but I don't care. I'm too tired to fix it.


I went through a similar experience... when I was a p1...

It was a mistake not to work during school, but why did you not work as a grad intern while getting licensed?
 
I went through a similar experience... when I was a p1...

It was a mistake not to work during school, but why did you not work as a grad intern while getting licensed?

My guess is that they graduated unemployed with no work experience in May, got licensed, and got hired in Sept/Oct.

I can't stand cleaning up after new grads with no experience. If you can't perform the same duties as a tech such as run the cash register, you shouldn't be paid rph wage.
 
I'm a new pharmacist as well and I'm training right now. Things are going badly for me 😢
First day, I didn't get any computer training because the modules weren't on my account, so they stuck me in the pharmacy. The pharmacist with me explained things okay, but it was just all so new to me so I didn't really know what I was doing. I did a few f1s and I was comfortable with that and of course doing transfers and taking new Rx. The things I don't like is that random things that pop up when doing F1s like TPR, etc. Then she kicked me out to take a lunch break. I left for like 5 min and came back in. I was assigned at the cash register. THIS IS WHEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE FOR ME! The person who explained the system to me didn't do it very well- but I don't want to blame her, I never worked a register before so I will catch on slowly. Anyways, I was given like a 30 second walk through of the register and then I started taking customers. I kept messing up so bad because I didn't know there were multiple bins that the Rx can be in, whenever "check ID" was presented on the cash register I would ask for it but not record it on the clipboard (I forgot I had to write those things down, it wasn't until like the 4th customer when I remembered), then there was a cap on one Rx and I got someone to help me with it but didn't know what to do with it fully as in, I didn't mention the major interaction to the patient and I feel like I should have- the reason I didn't was because I felt confused on what buttons to press, and I was just so slow doing the cash register. That was upsetting. During that whole ordeal, I over heard a tech and pharm talking about me and how that I got no experience and that I moved from my home town for the job and they were talking about how they thought I wouldn't be able to work at my home store. I'm glad I heard them say that though because now I know how bad I am. I hope I don't get fired because I did sign a 12 year lease on my apt that I can only pay for with this job. I do regret not doing an internship in retail. I wasn't able to because I wasn't available in the summer of p1 and p2 year to do training. I should have tried harder to find a retail internship though. I took an internship in a hospital instead and that of course was super useless, since hospitals only hire people who have pharmacist experience.
I hope I can get through this.

EDIT: I know I made a lot of grammar mistakes, but I don't care. I'm too tired to fix it.

Signing a 12 year lease? Are you brain dead? that is a horrible mistake

>not working at least 2 years at retail part time

You will probably be fired soon. Consider going to nursing school
 
At least with Walgreens the register combined phones and drop off. So I got good training with insurance rejects and stuff.

Yeah honestly only one of my intro rotations even put me at drop off and the only reason was because I had experience already and they legitimately needed me. A lot of them don't even bother... part of it is on the student too to say something though but a lot of them just want to get their time in and get out. I remember I was on a rotation with a P4 from another school and the guy couldn't even call for a transfer without someone talking him through it... was so nervous during a flu shot his hand was shaking all over the place and he called the lady sir... and asked what to tell a patient when we told him to call them for an OOS. What the hell it's no wonder some pharmacies leave you on hold for 45 minutes. A lot of these new grads get sent to really slow stores which is actually even worse because they have no tech during certain parts of the day and literally can't fill a script if they run into any sort of issue. I remember we got sent one of these floaters and she filled around 70 scripts from 8-1 in a store that does 500 a day. Took like 2 days to recover from that. Don't get me wrong I'm sure my first day will be a total disaster but at least I'll know how to sell a script at the register...
 
Last edited:
You never had a retail rotation at Walgreens? I spent the majority of mine at the register... Free labor for them.


I have actually, but where I was at students weren't allowed to go near the cash register or work with the computer system, so I basically filled. I got the most retail experience from a rotation at an independent pharmacy, which was cool because I got to do everything that a pharmacist did, even verify. That independent's computer system was super easy to understand too. I could figure stuff out without even having to ask for help. Working there was actually fun. The Walgreens computer system seems like a chaotic mess to me so far.

I went through a similar experience... when I was a p1...

It was a mistake not to work during school, but why did you not work as a grad intern while getting licensed?

I did work during school, just not at Walgreens. And I didn't have time to work as a grad intern.
 
Last edited:
Some things I forget at the cash register:

1. How to put in a vaccination order.
- First is going into storenet then immunization protocol and then filling that out and printing the VIS and any forms the customer needs to fill out from there
- Second I would have to go to intercom rx then go to patient profile? --- I forget how to put the order for the immunization into the system
- Then, scan the leaflet at the register for payment

2. How do you update a patient's address? Sometimes when I look up a patient I can't figure out how to edit their information -.-

hhmm there's a bunch of random stuff to do at the cash register but I can't remember them right now
 
I got the most retail experience from a rotation at an independent pharmacy, which was cool because I got to do everything that a pharmacist did, even verify. That independent's computer system was super easy to understand too.

The independent pharmacy experience was fun probably because they were much slower than a retail chain store. You actually had time to figure out things in the computer.

On the other hand, at walgreens you can only survive if you're highly efficient with the computer system. Your days will be likely be miserable for another 3 months. And if you ever get put in a busy store with a new tech... it's gonna make you wanna cry.

When I was a new intern, I was once scheduled with a brand new pharmacist on a weekend. This is how our day began... When we arrived, there were 4~5 people waiting by the door to drop off and they ALL wanted to wait. Next thing we knew the printer broke. I was extremely slow at typing so it took me 45 minutes just to get all the customers to sit down. By that time he hasn't even started filling because he spent the entire time messing with the printer... we looked at each other and were both like "looking forward to 6pm already".
 
The independent pharmacy experience was fun probably because they were much slower than a retail chain store. You actually had time to figure out things in the computer.

Actually, no the independent pharmacy does more than 500 rxs a day and unit dosed meds for nursing home, so it was fairly busy and fast paced. The catch was that the place was well staffed.
Also, you would need to see their system to understand what I was trying to say. When it comes to me and technology, I like to be more hands on and figure it out myself and then I will get it. The Walgreens system doesn't really have much of a flow to it, so it's harder to get "handsy." I'm not trying to complain and say that their system is bad. I'm sure after going through all the tutorials and with the right amount of guidance, I can figure it out and appreciate it like many pharmacists do.
 
Actually, no the independent pharmacy does more than 500 rxs a day and unit dosed meds for nursing home, so it was fairly busy and fast paced. The catch was that the place was well staffed.
Also, you would need to see their system to understand what I was trying to say. When it comes to me and technology, I like to be more hands on and figure it out myself and then I will get it. The Walgreens system doesn't really have much of a flow to it, so it's harder to get "handsy." I'm not trying to complain and say that their system is bad. I'm sure after going through all the tutorials and with the right amount of guidance, I can figure it out and appreciate it like many pharmacists do.

By slow I really meant well well staffed, and by busy I meant short-handed. Bottom line is that chain stores require you to be more efficient because you have less help. Therefore, you don't have time to explore and figure out what each function does.
 
Probably not necessary, but I wish to first say hello to all SDN members, given that this is my first post on the forum.


Hello everyone!



I'm here to share my story and hopefully get some advices from other people who might have gone through what I am going though.



I graduated this year from pharmacy and recently found a job. I had my first day as a pharmacist yesterday, and gosh it was a mess! For some reason, I couldn't seem to focus on what I was doing. I would read the prescription and forget what I read 2 seconds later. I kind of had my head in the clouds the entire time. I arrived home with a bad head ache and felt intense mental fatigue. What's bugging me is that I didn't have any difficult or complex cases; it was just me verifying renewals and simple new prescriptions.



I am very scared of doing mistakes! I have let some mistakes pass in my intern, which leads me to think I am just inattentive at work. I am wondering what to do before my next work shift. I feel like I am underperforming compared to my other graduate friends.



What do my fellow pharmacist friends think about that? Thanks!!

Your day 1 experience is natural, especially if you didn't work much as an intern.

Depending on your learning/adaptability speed, you will get used to it in a matter of weeks to months. As you may know already, it really gets very, VERY redundant.

Don't be discouraged by some of the responses above. There are pharmacists who started badly, but have become more efficient than some who were already in the game.

Just maintain good work ethics in addition to some of the tips here (like ones from metforminpharmd2016 & Topcat15), and you will be fine with time...hopefully.
 
By slow I really meant well well staffed, and by busy I meant short-handed. Bottom line is that chain stores require you to be more efficient because you have less help. Therefore, you don't have time to explore and figure out what each function does.


Well actually, it took only a few seconds to figure things out using the system at the independent pharmacy- it was a really simple and useful system. The Walgreens system was much more different, so after a few seconds I just ask for help to save time. But that is why they do 80 hours of training for it. I feel comfortable with the system now, so that's great! It's a lot of learn but it's pretty easy after learning it.
 
Last edited:
Relax, don't worry. I didn't work much in pharmacy school. I actually didn't have a paid job until half way through my fourth year. Just act confident until you get things down. Retail is barely clinical, once you get the hang of it it's a cakewalk. Come back in three months and you will look back on your first day and wonder why you stressed so much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
 
My guess is that they graduated unemployed with no work experience in May, got licensed, and got hired in Sept/Oct.

I can't stand cleaning up after new grads with no experience. If you can't perform the same duties as a tech such as run the cash register, you shouldn't be paid rph wage.

Oh my gosh that is so rude! I try to help and teach new grads as much as I can because I remember how it felt to have everyone just waiting for you to make a mistake. Unfortunately, competition doesn't end after pharmacy school. The pharmacists who gossip and the ones who like to see new grads fail are usually insecure in their own knowledge and performance and will often feel threatened by new grads.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh my gosh that is so rude! I try to help and teach new grads as much as I can because I remember how it felt to have everyone just waiting for you to make a mistake. Unfortunately, competition doesn't end after pharmacy school. The pharmacists who gossip and the ones who like to see new grads fail are usually insecure in their own knowledge and performance and will often feel threatened by new grads.

I haven't met any pharmacists who enjoy watching new grads fail. That sounds a bit messed up. However I do encounter and understand techs who don't like to work with new grads. If all they do is stand there and verify (match left with right), and make the techs do everything else, they really don't deserve rph wage.
 
I haven't met any pharmacists who enjoy watching new grads fail. That sounds a bit messed up. However I do encounter and understand techs who don't like to work with new grads. If all they do is stand there and verify (match left with right), and make the techs do everything else, they really don't deserve rph wage.
Then I think you are lucky. I have seen some pharmacists making fun of new grad, talking behind them like big jokes, teasing them, gossiping. The old time pharmacists are threatened by the new grad for their job security. They don't teach, don't show them the tips/tricks to successfully run the pharmacy. When you make mistakes, they laugh behind you and talk sxxt with technicians, district managers. I've seen this. The thing is, when they work with those new grad, they talk and joke like they are good friends. But behind them, omg....Gossiping behind people are human nature, but to me this is quite unprofessional when they are the pharmacist on duty to talk like that, especially the way they gossip to the technicians.
 
I haven't met any pharmacists who enjoy watching new grads fail. That sounds a bit messed up. However I do encounter and understand techs who don't like to work with new grads. If all they do is stand there and verify (match left with right), and make the techs do everything else, they really don't deserve rph wage.

You make a good point. However, I feel that techs should give new grads a chance. They really do need to stand there and do nothing but verify for a couple of weeks so they can get comfortable. I remember how intimidating and overwhelming it was starting out with only two weeks of "training". Then on top of everything, being expected to manage the pharmacy?! It's crazy. Work is so much more fun when everyone can help one another as a team. Running a successful pharmacy is a team effort. Now, if a pharmacist is still standing around after say three months...that may be a problem.
 
Then I think you are lucky. I have seen some pharmacists making fun of new grad, talking behind them like big jokes, teasing them, gossiping. The old time pharmacists are threatened by the new grad for their job security. They don't teach, don't show them the tips/tricks to successfully run the pharmacy. When you make mistakes, they laugh behind you and talk sxxt with technicians, district managers. I've seen this. The thing is, when they work with those new grad, they talk and joke like they are good friends. But behind them, omg....Gossiping behind people are human nature, but to me this is quite unprofessional when they are the pharmacist on duty to talk like that, especially the way they gossip to the technicians.
Yes, indeed this non-sense needs to end. Whether you are threatened or not by younger RPhs, everyone has to work together. Needless to say, I will gladly slow down & take the time to go over scripts with an intern who will be competing with myself for a job. Script volume, metrics, & bullsh*t work has contributed to less time well spent preparing interns/new graduates
 
My guess is that they graduated unemployed with no work experience in May, got licensed, and got hired in Sept/Oct.

I can't stand cleaning up after new grads with no experience. If you can't perform the same duties as a tech such as run the cash register, you shouldn't be paid rph wage.

I mean if that is the case then you just count pills...why do you get paid so much? why not just get the tech on their salary to start counting pills? lol.
 
Last edited:
I mean if that is the case then you just count pills...why do you get paid so much? why not just get the tech on their salary to start counting pills? lol.
I am with mentor. How do you supervise people if you don't even know how to do their job? Not to mention teching is entry level work, aren't pharmacists ashamed not to know how to do the very simple job of the techs they supervise???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
 
I am with mentor. How do you supervise people if you don't even know how to do their job? Not to mention teching is entry level work, aren't pharmacists ashamed not to know how to do the very simple job of the techs they supervise???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I mean if you are hoping for a pharmacist to start training others without them getting any training then there is something wrong here. Teaching is entry level work just like training is entry level requirement.

I understand the frustration especially if its a really busy store, but part of job is to train new pharmacist too.

I believe my school is adding courses that train students regarding computer processing for retail environment. Well that is what i have heard from one of the professor, but not really sure what it is. So maybe it will get better in the future.
 
I mean if you are hoping for a pharmacist to start training others without them getting any training then there is something wrong here. Teaching is entry level work just like training is entry level requirement.

I understand the frustration especially if its a really busy store, but part of job is to train new pharmacist too.

I believe my school is adding courses that train students regarding computer processing for retail environment. Well that is what i have heard from one of the professor, but not really sure what it is. So maybe it will get better in the future.

Pharmacists should be trained for tech duties during school. That's what your intern license is for. Anyone can work once a month during pharmacy school. It only takes a month or two to become an efficient tech. Their 6 week retail IPPE/APPE should be plenty too.
 

I am sorry but teching experience is just a preference to the person doing the hiring. It is entry level work which you get TRAINED for nonetheless. If it was a requirement to have tech experience then none of these people would get hired in the first place.

Pharmacists should be trained for tech duties during school. That's what your intern license is for. Anyone can work once a month during pharmacy school. It only takes a month or two to become an efficient tech. Their 6 week retail IPPE/APPE should be plenty too.

If IPPE/APPE experience would had been plenty then there wouldn't be this problem..would it? It would be plenty with proper training, but how many people get proper training from these rotations? --- I absolutely agree with students getting training BY the school for tech duties....that is why i mentioned some schools are adding classes specific to these.

All i am saying is they can make their own decisions. lol. They don't have to become a full fledged tech then a full fledged intern (excluding rotations ofcourse) so you can have less stress at work. lol. If your store hires them then they have the right to be trained for at least 3 months. If they are still messing up after that then that is a different discussion. It's all part of the job description 🙂
 
I am sorry but teching experience is just a preference to the person doing the hiring. It is entry level work which you get TRAINED for nonetheless. If it was a requirement to have tech experience then none of these people would get hired in the first place.



If IPPE/APPE experience would had been plenty then there wouldn't be this problem..would it? It would be plenty with proper training, but how many people get proper training from these rotations? --- I absolutely agree with students getting training BY the school for tech duties....that is why i mentioned some schools are adding classes specific to these.

All i am saying is they can make their own decisions. lol. They don't have to become a full fledged tech then a full fledged intern (excluding rotations ofcourse) so you can have less stress at work. lol. If your store hires them then they have the right to be trained for at least 3 months. If they are still messing up after that then that is a different discussion. It's all part of the job description 🙂

Yes they have a right to be trained as techs, no one is arguing that. But until they are capable of what the $11/hr tech does, they should not be paid $55+/hour to learn how to use the cash register.
 
Just to be clear my opinion is slightly different than Mentos. I don't think a pharmacist should be paid less to learn how to do a techs job, I just think they should be able to pick it up very very quickly since it's an entry level job and we have an advanced agree. Some pharmacists seem to take pride in never doing Tech work. Different Strokes for different folks but personally I hate that mentality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
 
I suspect s/he meant 12 MONTH lease. I hope so, anyway. Never heard of a 12-year lease; I think those would be called mortgages.
omg a 12 year lease?? I am cracking up X
Alchemist 9, I feel your pain. I too am starting as a grad intern soon and your post gives me an idea of that my first day "could" be like. My last retail pharmacy tech job was about 5 years ago. I try to remain positive like I did through all my rotations. We are all new to something at one point and make mistakes as we learn but I think how you recover is just as or more important. I am already looking into meditation/yoga and seeking a therapist in my new work location. I hope you have found your "stride" by now..
 
Last edited:
To be fair my school tells all rotations sites not to waste our time by putting us at a register even in P1. So instead they just make us count lol.

Yeah I wasn't allowed to use the register either as an intern.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Boy I'm glad I grad interned for like 3-4 months taking my sweet time, now that I'm liscensed and put all by myself I don't look completely incompetent (had zero retail experience during school big mistake).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad