First day of Medical School and I'm Lost!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shjanzey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help!

Just kidding. First day was just a nice introduction. I was expecting so much more.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah don't worry.

It's the little things that will piss you off. Give it time.

Reactions: 4 users
You should sign up for a ton of interest groups this week and plan out running for a handful of leadership positions!

Reactions: 4 users
Help!

Just kidding. First day was just a nice introduction. I was expecting so much more.
shall study material come flooding, you will regret this cocky post, boy

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My goal for the first month of M1 was basically to get as many free lunches as possible. After that, my goal was basically just to never be at school unless it was mandatory.

Reactions: 11 users
Help!

gBBIX7k.png

Reactions: 6 users
Oh c'mon, I'm in med school for a week and I haven't cracked open a chest or diagnosed a patient with a rare african virus yet! God, this is so BS. I knew they'd never teach me how to be House here!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh c'mon, I'm in med school for a week and I haven't cracked open a chest or diagnosed a patient with a rare african virus yet! God, this is so BS. I knew they'd never teach me how to be House here!

Really? We got to treat ebola during week 1 at Princeton. I loved our rare African virus block.

Reactions: 15 users
to be honest house becomes predictable and sometimes contrived after your 3rd year.
Although some episodes are really cool and informative, nonetheless.
You just roll your eyes when you see the same physician doing a lumbar tap, pcr screening, carotid catheterization, etc etc in the same episode. I sure wish there was any specialty that was so broad.

Reactions: 3 users
to be honest house becomes predictable and sometimes contrived after your 3rd year.
Although some episodes are really cool and informative, nonetheless.
You just roll your eyes when you see the same physician doing a lumbar tap, pcr screening, carotid catheterization, etc etc in the same episode. I sure wish there was any specialty that was so broad.

My fiancé (non-medical person) was watching Psych the other day, and when I happened to walk in someone who was "intubated" was on the screen. I laughed and pointed out how that totally isn't what intubated patients.

She rolled her eyes and told me to go away.

WHEN DO WE GET TO THE LIFE SAVING?! IT'S ALREADY BEEN A WEEK.

I get to see my preceptor next week, so finally lives will be saved. I probably shouldn't expect a standing ovation, I'll wait for my second visit for that.

What exactly is the point of this absolutely useless thread?

Rustle jimmies, and warm cockles. What else do people do on SDN?

While we're on the subject of being newbies...

Is this formaldehyde smell ever going away? Because I'm having trouble eating. :(

Is this formaldehyde smell ever going away? Because I'm having trouble eating. :(

The smell of formaldehyde actually makes you hungry! Unless you get nauseous from the smell.

I think the smell lingered in my hair for a short time after we were done with anatomy. And I swear I can still smell it on the scrubs I wore in there even though I washed them multiple times after our last lab.

The smell of formaldehyde actually makes you hungry! Unless you get nauseous from the smell.

I think the smell lingered in my hair for a short time after we were done with anatomy. And I swear I can still smell it on the scrubs I wore in there even though I washed them multiple times after our last lab.

I've heard from others that it increases appetite...I don't understand those people. I associate the smell with human flesh now, which makes eating a challenge.

Double or triple layer your gloves. As for the residue fumes in your nose hours later, you'll get used to it.

Enjoy it. Totally miss anatomy.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard from others that it increases appetite...I don't understand those people. I associate the smell with human flesh now, which makes eating a challenge.

I always double gloved, and somehow enough seeped/flowed down the wrist that I could still smell it. A few hand-washings/hours later it usually faded.

I would avoid eating any sort of finger food...popcorn, pretzels, even sandwhiches. Try to eat stuff with a fork and knife, so at least you don't have to bring the smell near your face. It's gross but the aversion eventually passes. You can only be revolted by something for so long.

I also had some pretty vivid nightmares the first couple weeks, but that may have just been me

I always double gloved, and somehow enough seeped/flowed down the wrist that I could still smell it. A few hand-washings/hours later it usually faded.

I would avoid eating any sort of finger food...popcorn, pretzels, even sandwhiches. Try to eat stuff with a fork and knife, so at least you don't have to bring the smell near your face. It's gross but the aversion eventually passes. You can only be revolted by something for so long.

I also had some pretty vivid nightmares the first couple weeks, but that may have just been me

No sleeve guards (or whatever they're called)? Sucks. Couldnt have gotten through GI without sleeve guards. :)

You get used to it. The first month of all my food tasting like cadaver was rough, but by month 8, I was fine.

I don't know what it is. I was ravenously hungry after like 20 minutes in anatomy lab. In addition, I can have a massive breakfast in the morning, but as soon as the incision is made in the OR, my stomach starts rumbling.

No sleeve guards (or whatever they're called)? Sucks. Couldnt have gotten through GI without sleeve guards. :)

No sleeve guards...the other kids wouldof made fun of me.
Resisting desire to make a joke about getting all the way through the GI

You get used to it. The first month of all my food tasting like cadaver was rough, but by month 8, I was fine.

I don't know what it is. I was ravenously hungry after like 20 minutes in anatomy lab. In addition, I can have a massive breakfast in the morning, but as soon as the incision is made in the OR, my stomach starts rumbling.

One of my favorite days in anatomy class we were doing the thorax dissection, and the prof was helping show me how to peel the connective tissue off the underside of the ribcage (like you do when you're preparing a rack of ribs to cook). I said something along the lines of how I was never going to be able to eat baby back ribs again. He stopped, looked at me and said "but they're soooo good" and went back to peeling away...

Reactions: 5 users
My fiancé (non-medical person) was watching Psych the other day, and when I happened to walk in someone who was "intubated" was on the screen. I laughed and pointed out how that totally isn't what intubated patients.

She rolled her eyes and told me to go away.

Did that with my brother and Scrubs multiple times. He no longer watches scrubs when I'm around anymore.

Want else were you expecting?

I was hoping someone would ask this. Ever since I joined this site people have told me that med school is so hard and that from day one you will feel overwhelmed and buried under information. I was expecting to start off that way, and it didn't happen. Week 1 is now over and I have still yet to see the overwhelming part. I am sure it will get harder, but the demons I had built up in my imagination were much larger than this

I was hoping someone would ask this. Ever since I joined this site people have told me that med school is so hard and that from day one you will feel overwhelmed and buried under information. I was expecting to start off that way, and it didn't happen. Week 1 is now over and I have still yet to see the overwhelming part. I am sure it will get harder, but the demons I had built up in my imagination were much larger than this
Famous last words...No said they'd throw 2 years of info on the first day. You haven't even taken an exam yet.

Famous last words...No said they'd throw 2 years of info on the first day. You haven't even taken an exam yet.

Whatever dude. You are one of the biggest screamers. You must have had a really tough transition. This feels easy after working full time as an Engineer while studying for class and the MCAT on nights and weekends. I wish I had more vacations like this. Every day is a breeze

Whatever dude. You are one of the biggest screamers. You must have had a really tough transition. This feels easy after working full time as an Engineer while studying for class and the MCAT on nights and weekends. I wish I had more vacations like this. Every day is a breeze
Dude you just started classes on Monday. But...

Like I've even said, MS-1/MS-2 is a breeze with respect to having a controlled schedule. There's absolutely no excuse not to be able to get a good night's sleep, eat well and on time, exercise, study and do fun things every once in a while during those years. That part isn't "medicine".

Reactions: 2 users

Slow your roll. Take your first set of exams and then get back to us about how easy it is.

You guys act like you are dying. Memorizing facts is not equivalent to death. Jesus

Nobody said anything about dying.

I felt like my time was very manageable during medical school and I had a lot of free time.

I just wouldn't be parading around about how easy it is before I even took an exam.

Reactions: 2 users

I've only experienced the first year, but nothing was particularly difficult after I'd adjusted (first few weeks were scary for me, no tests/points of reference). For someone who completed an engineering undergrad., as long as you adjust your study strategy (more bulk memorize, less math/analysis), it probably won't be too crazy the first year.

I personally don't find studying all that difficult, even with many hours. Exam weeks suck, but even they are tolerable.

I'm anticipating this year will be significantly more difficult, but that's because I'm adding research and step 1 studying in. Third year will be difficult, fourth year will be somewhat easier. Intern year/residency is the real test.

Oh yeah i tie my hair and cover my head with a hoodie so it doesn't soak up the cadaver smell. don't you have scrub services?

I turn into a vegetarian after cadaver dissection.

So how long do I have to put up with your incessant whining before I am "proven"? What if this is still easy after 2 tests? Are you going to tell me how hard it will be in third year?

1. He's right. You haven't taken a single exam, let alone a block of finals or midterms, let alone Step 1.
2. You'll never get past his incessant whining. I generally enjoyed M1/M2, generally enjoyed M3/M4. I was constantly warned "just wait until intern year, just wait. You don't know, man..." Now I'm a surgical intern and still generally enjoying what I do.

Med school isn't always the soul sucking experience that many make it out to be. It is for some, and that's hard to judge a week into M1 year.

Reactions: 11 users
So how long do I have to put up with your incessant whining before I am "proven"? What if this is still easy after 2 tests? Are you going to tell me how hard it will be in third year?
You haven't even taken your first medical school exam yet with this being your first week. Your school is likely (or not) to ease you guys into things anyways. Instead of acting like you've got the whole med school thing down pat, maybe open your mind, that maybe, just maybe, you don't have all the answers yet, even with your "vast" engineering, non-traditional background that makes you so much better than the rest of us "lowly" people who were traditional premeds.

1. He's right. You haven't taken a single exam, let alone a block of finals or midterms, let alone Step 1.
2. You'll never get past his incessant whining. I generally enjoyed M1/M2, generally enjoyed M3/M4. I was constantly warned "just wait until intern year, just wait. You don't know, man..." Now I'm a surgical intern and still generally enjoying what I do.

Med school isn't always the soul sucking experience that many make it out to be. It is for some, and that's hard to judge a week into M1 year.
No one is whining (which you and shjanzey have interpreted). It's a reality. Medical school is hard. It's definitely not impossible (obviously), but it is hard. It requires a lot of hard work, dedication, endurance, etc. and as the expression goes, "blood, sweat, and tears".

I get you're a surgeon and have to minimize how hard something is, but you might want to look at your frame of reference (now that you're past it all), and his frame of reference. Not to mention, I'm sure on the day of certain events (i.e. taking Step 1), I doubt you thought it was no big deal as you thought it was.