ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dental Student
What were you doing / how did you feel you when you got your first offer ?

I'll post my story when I get home :)

edit: check post 52 for my story :p

Last edited:

OldMoney

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 1, 2013
it was 9 in the morning, i was working on my assignments (i had stayed up all night), so when i heard the news, i had no energy to celebrate. i was actually pretty nonchalant about it. like "oh i got an acceptance woopee. this assignment is due in like 2 hours sigh". but yeah, after i got a good night's rest, i had some time to reflect on this. and it was then that i realized ive finally achieved what ive been working so hard for. :D good feeling. but that passed fast too lol

Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I had just woken up and it was still dark outside. At around 6:00am I grabbed my phone to check the time and saw that I had an email in my inbox. The subject line read "LECOM Acceptance" (or something like that..). I turned to my boyfriend, and the first words out of my mouth were "Oooooh shiiit!!! I've been accepted!" And that was that. Later that day, I got a missed call from the next school who accepted me. After work, we and I had sushi and champagne to celebrate.

Oct 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had just woken up and it was still dark outside. At around 6:00am I grabbed my phone to check the time and saw that I had an email in my inbox. The subject line read "LECOM Acceptance" (or something like that..). I turned to my boyfriend, and the first words out of my mouth were "Oooooh shiiit!!! I've been accepted!" And that was that. Later that day, I got a missed call from the next school who accepted me. After work, we and I had sushi and champagne to celebrate.
I don't know why I assumed you were a dude. Maybe it's the semi-obscure Internet meme reference in your user name. Strong choice with the celebratory sushi, though!

At any rate, to respond to OPs topic, I had a pretty rough cold on Dec 2nd. The Buffalo email rolled in first and was followed up by a phone call from Dr. Brown, who I hope recognized I was sick and didn't think I'd turned to chiefing a pack a day to cope with the pre-decision angst.

Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I don't know why I assumed you were a dude. Maybe it's the semi-obscure Internet meme reference in your user name. Strong choice with the celebratory sushi, though!

At any rate, to respond to OPs topic, I had a pretty rough cold on Dec 2nd. The Buffalo email rolled in first and was followed up by a phone call from Dr. Brown, who I hope recognized I was sick and didn't think I'd turned to chiefing a pack a day to cope with the pre-decision angst.
I could easily still be a dude.

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
I have no clue why some people are shady about their genders on here. Is the intent to make a political statement?

Now the *real* surprise would be if I was a dude. :laugh:

wb1

Aug 5, 2012
I could easily still be a dude.
I think you are still a dude and it doesn't really matter.

The give away was the way you say ' OoooooossssSSSSHHHHIT'''''. I have never met a girl that say 'OOOOOOssssssSSSHHHHIIT' lol
You will be the first.

Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I think you are still a dude and it doesn't really matter.

The give away was the way you say ' OoooooossssSSSSHHHHIT'''''. I have never met a girl that say 'OOOOOOssssssSSSHHHHIIT' lol
You will be the first.
lol, I guess I'm the first then. The secret should be revealed. I'm a girl.

OldMoney

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 1, 2013
i thought we were gonna have our first gay sdn dentist :D crushed my hopes and dreams

AVB2104

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
Status
Dentist
The night before dec 2nd, I took nyquil so I could fall asleep and just wake up the next morning with acceptances. Instead, I woke up around 3 am and could NOT sleep until 7:50 am. Then at 7:51 am, where I was half asleep, I heard a sound coming out of my headphone indicating there was an email. I checked to see what it was and it was from a f**** credit card company reminding me of my bill. Then at 7:52 am, I got another email from my state school with a subject line "XXXX-Offer of acceptance".. I jumped out of my bed and woke my mom up and she said "wtf is going on" then I ran down the stairs and started jumping around... and shed a few tears...

Feb 11, 2011
Status
Dental Student
It was 6:30 am, I walked into my messy grad student office, sat down ....logged onto SDN before checking my email and guess what i saw ?

Ktran msging me about the UMN offer and telling me we got in ! I then checked my email and BAM, I was accepted. I stepped outa my office; speechless, trying to understand what just happened. The secretaries started asking me if I was ok , I told themIi got in and then I was bombarded with hugs from left and right !
Ppl then proceeded to demand high quality, free dental work from me lol to which i replied: Oh for sure. I got you all.
Dec 2nd was literally one the best days of my life. I will need to remember this next yr when i am drowning in finals.

uhcoog92

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
My roommates knew I was anxiously waiting to hear from my state school at midnight of December 2nd, so they try to pull a prank on me and send me a "fake" email around that time. I told them if I was accepted, I would get an email at 12:05. While I'm repeatedly refreshing my email, they send a fake email. The ironic thing is that I got the email of the acceptance 10 seconds before the "fake acceptance". So when I tell them I was accepted, they're all like "NO NO!!! ITS A FAKE", because I guess they felt really bad for bringing my hopes up. Then I show them the email, and I'm like "It's REAL, b****es!!!"

OldMoney

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 1, 2013
My roommates knew I was anxiously waiting to hear from my state school at midnight of December 2nd, so they try to pull a prank on me and send me a "fake" email around that time. I told them if I was accepted, I would get an email at 12:05. While I'm repeatedly refreshing my email, they send a fake email. The ironic thing is that I got the email of the acceptance 10 seconds before the "fake acceptance". So when I tell them I was accepted, they're all like "NO NO!!! ITS A FAKE", because I guess they felt really bad for bringing my hopes up. Then I show them the email, and I'm like "It's REAL, b****es!!!"
haha aww. one word to describe this scenario:

Friendship

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
And I automatically assumed Glimmer was a gay man...didn't even cross my mind you weren't. Not like it mattered. But I guess that's what happens when you assume. Sorry Glimmer, are we cool bro?
~*~Can't let gettin' mad dampen my fab.~*~

:asshat: <--Was searching through for smileys... Is this supposed to be a butt with a party hat? If so, I am going to start using this more often. :joyful:

Reactions: hitmans45
Jul 21, 2013
Toronto
Status
Pre-Dental
I stayed up until 1:00am hoping that I would know by that time, but I ended up going to bed. When I woke up, I checked my phone and saw that I got a missed call from my dad. Turns out, my dad already checked my email (the email I used specifically for dental school) and I got a offer. Then I told my roommate, my other friends and my dentist. That day was unreal, I just felt a huge weight has been lift off my shoulders. One of my friends, who was also applying, got the same offer as me and he stayed up the whole night waiting for it.

Dec 21, 2012
Status
Super unexciting story: I got the e-mail from BU, called home, my parents asked me why I didn't get a larger scholarship, then slept... I got the call from Buffalo the next morning and missed a call from Penn, no voice message. Had to call back the next morning bc they left 15 minutes after I missed the call...

Reactions: chomperz22

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
Super unexciting story: I got the e-mail from BU, called home, my parents asked me why I didn't get a larger scholarship...
ouch
Why in the world would they *expect* you to get a scholarship, much less a large one? They don't exactly grow on trees... and they are HIGHLY competitive! Maybe they just don't understand DS admissions so well.
*hugs* congrats anyways!

Dec 21, 2012
Status
ouch
Why in the world would they *expect* you to get a scholarship, much less a large one? They don't exactly grow on trees... and they are HIGHLY competitive! Maybe they just don't understand DS admissions so well.
*hugs* congrats anyways!
My sister got into law school and got a decent scholarship, so I guess my parents expected the same for me. They've always been this way so I'm used to it now (good is never good enough). I'm not sure if this is true with all asian parents, but I'd like to attribute it to that reason.

Luckily my girlfriend was there to make me feel better and actually congratulate me, lol.

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2012
Status
Dental Student
My sister got into law school and got a decent scholarship, so I guess my parents expected the same for me. They've always been this way so I'm used to it now (good is never good enough). I'm not sure if this is true with all asian parents, but I'd like to attribute it to that reason.

Luckily my girlfriend was there to make me feel better and actually congratulate me, lol.
As soon as I read your post, I thought, "must be Asian". Don't worry man, my parents do the same thing. I remember I got so upset with my dad after he told me he thinks me becoming a medical doctor is better than becoming a dentist. He told me this after I told him my friend was a pre med.
I also remember that I got a partial scholarship to undergrad, and my mom asks, "can you ask them to pay for more?"

-_-

Reactions: jdye

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Watched Catching Fire (sneaking in booze/snacks), then grabbed some pizzas, wine, cheap beer, and chilled with my wife for about an hour. This was Sunday night. We were both trying to stay distracted, but we had a really good feeling about it. 12:01 came and Baylor e-mailed me, we jumped for joy, woke the neighbors (I was screaming BAYLOR BAYLOR BAYLOR), and I called my parents. My wife surprised me with champagne (expertly opened) and then San Antonio e-mailed at 12:03. It was a good night...then we went to bed, because some of us have jobs. :p

Reactions: jdye

OldMoney

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 1, 2013
Watched Catching Fire (sneaking in booze/snacks), then grabbed some pizzas, wine, cheap beer, and chilled with my wife for about an hour. This was Sunday night. We were both trying to stay distracted, but we had a really good feeling about it. 12:01 came and Baylor e-mailed me, we jumped for joy, woke the neighbors (I was screaming BAYLOR BAYLOR BAYLOR), and I called my parents. My wife surprised me with champagne (expertly opened) and then San Antonio e-mailed at 12:03. It was a good night...then we went to bed, because some of us have jobs. :p
you guys went to bed...

please continue the story in great detail

Reactions: Qtn2x

DentalElle

. smile .
Jan 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
On sunday I tried to be as distracted as possible (ended up on a float at the orange bowl parade, so that worked!). I didn't sleep until like 3 A.M hoping to get an email. I finally went to sleep and woke up at 7:50 because of nerves, checked email and aadsas, nothing. Alarm rang at 8 and I checked both again, and saw an email from LECOM. I was so excited to know the wait was over. I still went to class (had 3 exams that week so I couldn't skip) and got bored in biochem and checked aadsas and saw for Nova offer made, then got the call from Nova 10 minutes later. This was my number one, so missing the last 5 mins of class was totally okay. (although I missed the memo that the next class was cancelled during these 5 minutes...so I showed up to an empty class on wednesday but whatevs). Got the call from Western right before immunology at 12. Very very happy day/week/month. =)

Honestly, my biggest fear was being wait listed at all three. Especially because I know I didn't apply to any other schools, the wait was torture. :hurting:

predentalgirl

5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Sat in front of my laptop ALL day with SDN and AADSAS open, phone beside me. Then, went to watch the football game that was on.. Pretty sure it was Broncos vs. Chiefs.

By accident, left my phone on the kitchen counter. So about 5 mins or so into the 4th quarter, I kinda distantly heard my phone ringing, but it didn't register to me right away. Then my dad goes, "_____, your phone is ringing." SO clearly I yell "OMG WHY ARE U TELLING ME PICK IT UP." So by the time I run from the room, I missed the call.

It was a number I slightly recognized since I called Marquette so many times. So I was like (to my brother) "OMG GOOGLE THIS NUMBER" but clearly I was shaking and could not wait so I called the number back. No answer....

BUT THEN WHEN I HUNG UP THERE WAS A VOICEMAIL.

BUT BEFORE I WAS ABLE TO LISTEN TO IT (cus iPhones have those play/pause buttons), BRIAN CALLED BACK!!!
I was shaking so hard and my whole family was around me. It was the best news I had gotten in a while.

How did I celebrate. Culvers. Obviously. Downed a Concrete Mixer (or 2..)

Man, this dental school applying experience. It is one I will DEFINITELY remember for a loooooooooong time.

Aug 7, 2011
Status
it says under your name you're on probationary status...

how is your final status determined?
I've been on probationary before....but that was because I posted the material I was going to sell in the wrong section. It goes away after a week or so.

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Sat in front of my laptop ALL day with SDN and AADSAS open, phone beside me. Then, went to watch the football game that was on.. Pretty sure it was Broncos vs. Chiefs.

By accident, left my phone on the kitchen counter. So about 5 mins or so into the 4th quarter, I kinda distantly heard my phone ringing, but it didn't register to me right away. Then my dad goes, "_____, your phone is ringing." SO clearly I yell "OMG WHY ARE U TELLING ME PICK IT UP." So by the time I run from the room, I missed the call.

It was a number I slightly recognized since I called Marquette so many times. So I was like (to my brother) "OMG GOOGLE THIS NUMBER" but clearly I was shaking and could not wait so I called the number back. No answer....

BUT THEN WHEN I HUNG UP THERE WAS A VOICEMAIL.

BUT BEFORE I WAS ABLE TO LISTEN TO IT (cus iPhones have those play/pause buttons), BRIAN CALLED BACK!!!
I was shaking so hard and my whole family was around me. It was the best news I had gotten in a while.

How did I celebrate. Culvers. Obviously. Downed a Concrete Mixer (or 2..)

Man, this dental school applying experience. It is one I will DEFINITELY remember for a loooooooooong time.
Chiefs/Broncos and Culver's? We could be friends. Congrats :D

Reactions: predentalgirl
Jun 5, 2013
Michigan
Status
Dental Student
i seriously had a smile on my face the whole time while i was reading everyone's stories, congratulations guys you all deserve it.

WEEELLLLL I couldn't sleep the night before because I was a nervous wreck...who am I kidding? i've been a nervous wreck ever since this whole process started BUT ANYWAYS!
So i distracted myself by watching movies all night and at about 8am i started getting tired, i then checked SDN and saw that a few people got a call from Dr. Jeffers already...(yeah i got jealous) So i ended up falling asleep until about 10:30 am, checked my phone nothing and at 10:36am i got the callllllll, i recognized the area code anddd omggg i was shaking/crying/peeing my pants idk what was going on!
Our neighbor was over drinking tea with my mom, so I ran to my parents room where my dad was laying down, jumping up and down like an excited monkey, tears falling down my face, he obviously knew i got the call and he jumped out of his bed, he teared and hugged me for about 3 minutes straight and wouldn't let go, my puppy gave me a couple of licks so that was nice of her. THEN my dad came up with a genius idea what we should play a prank on my mom and tell her that i got rejected, so right when my neighbor left my dad went up to her and told her that i got rejected while i was hiding in the other room and i could hear her say "What? why? are you serious?" and before she could finish her next sentence I jumped in the room and saiddd " I GOT THE CALLL!!!" so we all proceeded to start crying haha my mom then picked up the phone and called every single relative all around the world.
So yeah, I celebrated by having a little get together with my friends with a lot of wine/food/hookah involved.

It was a really big deal to my parents because i am an only child and they know how bad i've wanted this because it's all i talk about, so yeah :)

Last edited:

predentalgirl

5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Chiefs/Broncos and Culver's? We could be friends. Congrats :D
Football and Culver's. THE LIFE.
We can be BEST friends :highfive:! Too bad Texas is like a good 1000 miles away from Wisconsin.

Mar 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
I had just flown from FL the night before (from Thanksgiving break) back up to NJ. I'm currently in the Biomed Sciences Master's program..(well as of yday, I'm done!). I had an Oral Microbio exam (D2 class at Rutgers) on Dec 2nd at 10am so I was trying to study but honestly, it was the most difficult because I'd check AADSAS/SDN every 5minutes seeing what schools released info/if I had gotten anything. Sunday night around 9pm, I decided I really needed to study so I put Self Control on my Mac (which blocks me from checking sites) for SDN and AADSAS so I couldn't check if I wanted. Went to sleep but was so nervous so I slept terribly. Woke up around 7am to start reviewing for the exam, was reviewing over T. pallidum when an e-mail from LECOM popped up saying I had been accepted. I immediately burst into tears because I had worked so hard and waited so long for this to finally happen. After a rough undergrad and constant thoughts of "Is dentistry right for me? Am I smart enough?", it was incredibly great to know that someone else realized that I was capable of making a difference in the health care industry. Afterwards, I called my mom & my dad, called my boyfriend, and called my sister. Went back to studying and I honestly, couldn't tell how I did on that exam because I was just so happy/elated that I had gotten into dental school. All while ironically, taking a dental school final lol. After my exam, I could FINALLY check AADSAS and saw NOVA had made an offer as well and at home in FL, my mom said we had just gotten a letter in the mail. Roseman called me on Tuesday morning giving their offer as well.

I was smiling all of that Monday and even now, I can't stop staring at my hands.

Reactions: hitmans45

tbond5

Enrolled
Jul 8, 2013
Seattle, WA
Status
Pre-Dental
I woke up Sunday morning to the ringing of my phone at 6:30 in the morning all the way across the condo. I was on vacation in park city with my family I didn't want anything ruining my beauty sleep. So I checked my voicemail later when I woke at 10 and found out it was Dr. zais from Midwestern-az. My bad lol

tayloreve

5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Louisiana
Status
Dental Student
Mine isn't as exciting as you guys.
I knew my state school was sending out the e-mail at midnight. So needless to say, I was on the couch watching TV refreshing my e-mail every 2 seconds waiting for that e-mail to come in. Once it came, I screamed "IM ACCEPTED!!!!!!" and high fived my boyfriend.
Oh yea.

Reactions: Illfavor
Mar 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
lecom acceptance = winning 5 dollars in the lottery…...
After working extremely hard, getting another degree, being denied before, & spending God knows amounts of money (on application and interview travel), an acceptance somewhere is worth the tears. I'm lucky to have multiple schools to pick from (NOVA as of right now) but once that first acceptance comes in after the amount of energy many of us have put in, the emotions will flow. Just because LECOM seems have many disadvantages (which I agree with for the most part but mostly because it doesnt agree with my learning style) doesn't mean that their students are incapable of becoming good dentists. It really isn't nice to rain on someone's parade when they've worked so hard to achieve a certain goal. I don't understand why people would bash on another's school of acceptance when this is a thread where one is elated about finding out where they're headed/realizing they have a future.

Last edited:

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2012
Status
Dental Student
lecom acceptance = winning 5 dollars in the lottery…...
Ouch. That's a little harsh, don't you think? I don't know much about the school, but I know that your education is what you make of it. They aren't an equivalent of a Caribbean medical school where they accept nearly everyone that applies. People that were accepted have worked very hard to receive that recognition. PBL may not be for everyone, and the school needs a lot of time before it gains the respect it wants, but it IS a dental school that will get someone where they want to be - a practicing dentist.

Reactions: DentalElle

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
It really isn't nice to rain on someone's parade when they've worked so hard to achieve a certain goal. I don't understand why people would bash on another's school of acceptance when this is a thread where one is elated about finding out where they're headed/realizing they have a future.
Ouch. That's a little harsh, don't you think? I don't know much about the school, but I know that your education is what you make of it. They aren't an equivalent of a Caribbean medical school where they accept nearly everyone that applies. People that were accepted have worked very hard to receive that recognition. PBL may not be for everyone, and the school needs a lot of time before it gains the respect it wants, but it IS a dental school that will get someone where they want to be - a practicing dentist.
SDN is a microcosm of real life, and in real life, people are *****.

Reactions: gn4
Jun 14, 2013
Status
these stories are cool as hell so i guess here goes mine:

The night before, i slept like a baby cuz i had made my mind up that i would not get a call unless i retook the DAT.
But the morning of Dec. 2nd, I was just getting out of the shower... and I saw my phone ringing for a while, then I looked at it and the number was unfamiliar so I was like "who the eff was this" so i tossed my phone back on my bed but it kept ringing (this had to be the longest my phone has ever rung, kinda like when it rings in class during a test and everyone can hear it vibrate) so I decided to answer it.

The dentist who interviewed me at UNC introduced himself and told me that i had gotten in.... i was not expecting this at all so all i could do was cry... then i sat there for about 15 mins b/c it just didn't seem real. Then i decided to call my parents and close friends. I had just gotten into my number one choice and it was freaking (euphemism) awesome. It still is unbelievable to me!

Reactions: Illfavor

Qtn2x

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Status
I was a non-trad applicant who graduated 10 years ago and totally didn't expect a Dec 2nd acceptance at all based on the conversation I had with a dean of admission of my state school prior to applying. He basically told me to go back to school taking upper division bio courses to show recent course work and then enroll in a graduate post-bacc program. If I do well in the post bacc and got As (and he emphasized that I must get all As), then they will consider and give me an interview invite. So I did exactly just that, enrolled back to school full time last Spring semester, then currently in the post bacc program while applying. The whole time, I was expecting to have a post Dec interview invites because by the time I applied, I only had course work from one semester to show my academic ability. So to my surprise, I got 4 pre Dec interviews, went to 3 of them and canceled on one. I expected to not hear back from them on Dec 2nd at all because I though they would wait for me to submit the grades from this semester (the post bacc grades) to make a decision. So on Dec 2nd, I was staying up late studying for a final exam I had on Dec 3rd. While I was studying, I needed to check an email for the materials the professor gave in the emails and *bam*, when I opened my email, I saw a "congratulations" email from my state school. It was my number 1 choice and I was so happy and surprised at the same time. I felt so relief and at the same time felt like I didnt even need to enroll in this post bacc at all (it costs me 30k to attend) because it seems like it isn't a factor at all in their decision. After seeing that email, I was so relax about my final exam that I went to sleep instead of staying up to study more for it :). It was a very nice surprise.

Mar 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
SDN is a microcosm of real life, and in real life, people are *****.
Sure, people may be ****- I'm more than fully aware. But you would think to know that future colleagues would respect one another regardless of what dental school they attended. You never know who you're gonna be working in future practices, upcoming projects, possible community endeavors, etc. Individuals really oughta keep an open mind about others and realize not everyone comes from the same backgrounds. Statements like "LECOM being equivalent to winning $5" really makes me wonder how much future individuals will judge me based on schools/stats alone and not even listen to my story. Hopefully, most of the dental community isn't that shallow or ignorant.