First Exam Ever in Med School....scary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docpepe

Reaction score
I just took my first anatomy exam and got a 50%....What the heck...Im so nervous. Is this going to kill me? We are a graded on a letter grade (4.0 gpa scale). This exam is with 20 % of my grade :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
no one care about preclinical grade as long as u pass eventually

I just took my first anatomy exam and got a 50%....What the heck...Im so nervous. Is this going to kill me? We are a graded on a letter grade (4.0 gpa scale). This exam is with 20 % of my grade :(
It will kill you if you don't figure out why you got a 50%; what you were weakest in, what you were strongest in, and don't develop a plan on fixing things. Fortunately, many of your classmates are in the same boat. They're learning how to learn at the med school pace and dealing witht he volume, rather than the intellectual rigor of the material.

Fortunately most students do recover and do well. Is your school P/F grading? Remember that all you need to do is pass.

Read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2019 edition)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everything you do from day one of medical school going forward matters regardless of what people tell you.

What was the average for the test? I’m only asking that to gauge how far behind the pack you are. I agree everything matters in medschool but how much will depend. If you fix your study problem and pass then you will be fine… obviously unless you are aiming for hyper competitive specialties.

Last edited:
One of the things that makes medical school different from college is that everything builds on what came before. It's critical you figure out how to study better, and go back and learn the material. This is difficult since the volume / pace is much higher in medical school than college.

It will kill you if you don't figure out why you got a 50%; what you were weakest in, what you were strongest in, and don't develop a plan on fixing things. Fortunately, many of your classmates are in the same boat. They're learning how to learn at the med school pace and dealing witht he volume, rather than the intellectual rigor of the material.

Fortunately most students do recover and do well. Is your school P/F grading? Remember that all you need to do is pass.

Read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2019 edition)
My school is letter grade and based on some crazy Z score formula. Does that make a difference you think?

My school is letter grade and based on some crazy Z score formula. Does that make a difference you think?
Lol what do you mean when you say CRAZY z scores? If they’re a standard z scores then it’s not crazy. It’s statistics and used a lot in medicine.

Youll be fine. Figure out YOUR way to study and go from there. Most people are struggling with the first exam. I think I got like a 79 on my first anatomy exam and that was the highest out of my friend group. You got this.

Remember now you are competing with all the kids who are in med school too. These are all smart kids, so the bar is higher

This is where you start to realize that literally your entire life is studying 8-16 hours a day

• Love
This is where you start to realize that literally your entire life is studying 8-16 hours a day
i disagree with this. i didn't study very much for my first anatomy exam and i got a 95%. it is definitely possible to score well without putting this amount of work into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i disagree with this. i didn't study very much for my first anatomy exam and i got a 95%. it is definitely possible to score well without putting this amount of work into it.
The rigor and quality of anatomy teaching varies dramatically from school to school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

"This is what I experienced, so this must be the case for everyone else at every school"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
"This is what I experienced, so this must be the case for everyone else at every school"
well i dont necessarily agree with that. im not sure what "you experienced" but just because it was one way for you doesnt mean it was that same way for someone else. every person's experience is unique.

• Hmm
username checks out

Reactions: 1 users
well i dont necessarily agree with that. im not sure what "you experienced" but just because it was one way for you doesnt mean it was that same way for someone else. every person's experience is unique.

Either case you're going to be doing that at some point. If you aren't then likely you're a very gifted individual or something. Go you.

bad brains

What was the average for the test? I’m only asking that to gauge how far behind the pack you are. I agree everything matters in medschool but how much will depend. If you fix your study problem and pass then you will be fine… obviously unless you are aiming for hyper competitive specialties.
And what actually is hyper competitive these days? Cause its starting to feel like all of them are besides your basics. Or is that just the way sdn makes it seem cause at this point I really don't know?

And what actually is hyper competitive these days? Cause it’s starting to feel like all of them are besides your basics. Or is that just the way sdn makes it seem cause at this point I really don't know?
Competitive is still increasing but hyper competitive is a subsect of super competition. I don’t keep up with todays med student world often (I’m obvi not that far out) but during my time that means Ortho, ENT, Ophtho, integrated plastics, derm, etc