First generation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Neither of my parents went to college and neither of them even finished high school.
I don't plan on talking about this in any depth in my personal statement but I'm not sure how it would look to adcom if I did briefly mention it (in 5 words as a passing thought).

In a way, I feel that it may be helpful but at the same time, I'm not sure if it'll give adcoms the idea that I won't be able to handle d-school due to the unfamiliarity with 'higher' education within my immediate family.
It would be great if you could share your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I briefly mentioned it in my personal statement. It was only a sentence or two, though.

I also mentioned it. They do not look down on this. It shows that you have motivation to not settle on anything less than your dreams :)

But then again, we're all motivated.

Members don't see this ad :)
personal statment = talk about WHY YOU WANT TO BE A DENTIST, its not about how successful your going to be in undergrad or dental school despite your background

during the interview however = thats when you talk about whatever you feel like. You can bring up the thing about your parents, you can say whatever, this is YOUR personal one-on-one time with the school.

personal statment = talk about WHY YOU WANT TO BE A DENTIST, its not about how successful your going to be in undergrad or dental school despite your background

during the interview however = thats when you talk about whatever you feel like. You can bring up the thing about your parents, you can say whatever, this is YOUR personal one-on-one time with the school.

I have to politely disagree. Why you want to be a dentist does involve where you came from, personal experience, strengths, etc. This does involve your background.

It can easily be about why you would be a good fit for dentistry based on your background/experiences. Example would be: An individual without educated parents grew up in a disadvantage community in which they were able to gain valuable real world experiences. These real world experiences may allow them to better relate to disadvantaged communities. In this way, they would be an asset to dentistry as a whole. This is something that IMO would be in a personal statement.